|Lakshmana Temple||Located in Sirpur|
|Kandariya Mahadeo Temple||Located just to the west of Lakshmana temple|
|Devi Jagdamba Temple||Located at the north of Kandariya Mahadeo temple|
|Chaunsat Yogini Temple||Located in the Bundelkhand region|
|Chitragupta Temple||Stuated to the north of the Devi Jagadamba|
|Matanageshwara Temple||Located adjacent to the Lakshmana Temple|
|Vishwanatha Temple||Located on Khajuraho temple complex|
|Parsvanath Temple||Located in Khajuraho|
|Ghantai Temple||Situated to the south of Duladeo Temple|
|Adinath Temple||Situated on the banks of the Khajur Sagar|
|Brahma Temple||Situated on the banks of the Ninora Tal|
|Vamana Temple||Situated north of the Khajuraho village|
|Javari Temple||Located near the Brahma Temple|
|Dulhadev Temple||Located on the south of Ghantai Temple|
|Beejamandal Temple||Located in Vidisha|
|Chattarbhuj Temple or The Jatkari Temple||Located 80 km away from Khajuraho|
Western Group of Temples
The most ancient and ornate shrine amongst the western group of temples, Lakshmana Temple is named after the Chandela king who built it. Constructed in the year 954 AD (approx.) and dedicated to Lord Vishnu, this temple is regarded to be one of the three largest shrines at Khajuraho. The horizontal lintel set up over the entrance is adorned with a beautiful sculpture displaying the Hindu Trinity Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh accompanied by Goddess Lakshmi – the better half of Lord Vishnu.
This Vaishnavite temple located opposite Devi Mandap and Varaha Mandap reveals a specimen of fine architectural ingenuity and striking artistic dexterity. Apart from the erotic sculptures decorating the exteriors of the Lakshmana Temple, other noteworthy statues include a man in intercourse with a horse, a King being fanned by a lady attendant, musicians, apsaras, a dancing child, hunting sport, horse riders, soldiers and elephants at war and so on. This east facing temple is very well preserved and contains the statues of more than 600 Hindu deities
Kandariya Mahadeo Temple
This western group temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is considered to be the hugest and the grandest temple at Khajuraho. Set up in AD 1025 – 50 (approx.), this temple presents the Chandela architectural style to its best. The Lingam of Lord Shiva is worshipped at this shrine built in sandstone in typical five section design. The major sections of this temple include Garbha Griha, Ardhamandapa, Pradakshina, Mahamandapa and Shikhar.
This magnificent shrine soaring 31 meters above the plinth is noteworthy for its haughty dimensions, complex compositions lying in perfect harmony with each other and its exquisite sculptures. The magnanimous arch embellishing the entrance of the temple and the interiors characterized by baroque ceilings supported by ornate pillars comprise the striking features of this majestic temple. The Kandariya Mahadeo Temple is festooned by over 800 intricate sculptures of Hindu Deities, celestial beings and lovers busy in intercourse. Cunningham, an English archeologist counted all the sculptures of this temple which came to be 872; 226 inside and 646 outside.
Devi Jagdamba Temple
The word Jagdamba means the Goddess of the universe. Dedicated to the Goddess Jagdamba, an incarnation of Goddess Parvati, this temple is comparatively smaller and exhibits some of the finest Khajuraho style sculptures in its delicately proportioned structure.
The arrangement of these sculptures revealing Shrungar Rasa is organized in the typical three band pattern. Of which, the uppermost band depicts the most sensuous and erotic engraves portraying the various styles of lovemaking. The Hindu Trinity Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh are also carved embracing their respective consorts. The sculptures of Dikpalas, Yama, Varaha rescuing the earth, Nirriti and beautiful women are really artistic and impressive. The sanctum (Garbha Griha) of the temple houses a huge idol of Goddess Jagdamba.
Some speculate that this idol represents Goddess Kali as it is black in color, while some say that it is an idol of Goddess Parvati painted in black. The shrine is built in one set of balconies, one Mandap and there is no Pradakshina Path. This temple is bit older than the Kandariya Mahadeo Temple and archeologists believe that originally it was meant to be a temple of Lord Vishnu and later it was dedicated to Goddess Jagdamba.
Chaunsat Yogini Temple
The Chaunsat Yogini Temple is the only shrine amongst the Khajuraho Group of Temples built in granite. This shrine is estimated to be constructed in 900 AD and thus it is considered to be the oldest surviving temple of Khajuraho. Dedicated to Goddess Kali and the 64 Yoginis who attended the mighty Goddess, this temple is divided into 65 cells.
Each of the cell houses one idol of a Yogini and in the 65th cell the idol of Goddess Kali is placed. All these 65 cells are clustered together with an open courtyard. This temple is not in a very good situation and so the access to the temple is restricted to the general public.
The Chitragupta Temple is built facing the east and it is dedicated to the Sun God (Surya Narayana). This temple is comparatively new and shares similarity of the architecture with the temple of Goddess Jagdamba. The sanctum of the temple houses a magnificent image of Sun God who is placed on a 5 feet high seat.
The statue of the Sun God depicts him riding a chariot drawn by 7 horses. Other than the main deity, the temple also harbors a breath taking statue of Lord Vishnu having 11 heads. 10 of them represent the 10 incarnations of Lord and the 11th head is the Lord Vishnu Himself. Cut figures of lions and elephants carved in sandstone decorate the exteriors of this beautiful temple.
Apart from that, the lofty figures of girls performing elegant dances, grand processions, hunting scenes, elephant fights etc. embellish the outer walls of Chitragupta Temple. This temple, along with the Vishwanatha Temple serves as a magnanimous backdrop to the glorious Khajuraho Dance Festival celebrated in winter.
Matanageshwara Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is noteworthy for the 8 feet tall Shiva Lingam placed in the sanctorum. Located adjacent to the Lakshmana Temple, this shrine is in quite a good condition and devotees are allowed to go inside and take the auspicious Darshana of sacred Lingam of Lord Shiva.
Acknowledged to be one of the oldest built temples, the Matanageshwara Temple is also reckoned for holding one of the largest Shiva Lingams of the country. Constructed in fine sandstone, this shrine of Lord Shiva is comparatively plain as it is not furbished with typical Khajuraho sculptures.
The Vishwanatha Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva is estimated to be set up in the year 1002 AD. This temple is built in the complete 5 section design and contains Garbha Griha, Ardhamandapa, Pradakshina, Mahamandapa and Shikhar. The most remarkable feature of this temple is its imposing entrance guarded by mighty lions in north and by regal elephants in south.
Topping to this, the temple contains a three headed statue of Lord Brahma which is captivating in its artistic appeal and very rare and exceptional as a unique antique. A 6 feet huge statue of Nandi – the vehicle of Lord Shiva is placed on an elevated platform facing the temple. Other than the traditional Khajuraho sculptures; both sensuous and provocative, the sculptures depicting women writing letters, playing music, fondling babies, are quite infrequent and striking. Originally the Vishwanatha Temple was built in 4 shrines out of which only two have survived till today.
Eastern Group of Temples
One of the Jain Temples set up in Khajuraho; Parsvanath Temple is the largest structure amongst the Eastern Group of Temples. Embellished with exquisite and intrinsic sculptures and detailed carvings that reveal the mundane everyday life, this shrine accommodates an idol of Jain Tirthankara Lord Parsvanath in its sanctorum. This idol is believed to have been placed in this temple very recently in the year 1860.
Moreover, the sanctum also houses a throne with an emblem of bull that represents Lord Adinatha, the first Tirthankara of Jainism. The carvings and sculptures that decorate the northern walls of the temple are especially remarkable for its most graceful statues of celestial Apsaras. The Parsvanath Temple is built in the rectangular shape on a comparatively low plinth which makes it easier to perceive and study the sculptures carved here.
Ghantai Temple is one of the three foremost Jain Temples amongst the Khajuraho group of monuments. Built up approximately between 950 and 1050 AD, this temple today stands in quite a damaged condition. Different from other Jain temples, this temple contains an embellished architectural frieze that portrays 16 dreams of the mother of Lord Mahavira, the 24th and most prominent Tirthankara of Jainism.
Adding to this, the temple also enshrines a fascinating sculpture of a Jain Goddess who is riding a winged Garuda. The temple receives its name after a beautifully engraved figure of a bell, known as Ghanta in regional language. This temple facing eastwards is built in the similar style with the Parsvanath Temple, though it is larger in size and double in its dimension. The Ghatai Temple is surrounded by other Jain Temples like Parsvanath Temple, Adinath Temple and Shantinath Temple. Talking about the artistic quotient of this shrine, it is known far and wide for its ornamental carvings, royal form and classical style of architecture.
Adinath Temple, as the name suggests is dedicated to the first Tirthankara of Jainism, Lord Adinath. This temple, built in 11th century is situated just next to the Parsvanath Temple. The structure of the temple depicts the form of ‘Sapta Ratha’ – seven chariots and the Shikhara that surmounts these chariots create a flabbergasting spectacle. The exteriors of the temple depict the carvings in a typical 3 bans arrangement.
Out of these three bands, the two bands are affluent with gratifying statues and elegant sculptures while the third and narrow band is festooned with garland bearers and celestial musicians. The remarkable feature of this temple is the ornate sculptures of Yakshinis lavishly endowed with delicate grace and captivating beauty. The temple could not be preserved in its original form; therefore we can see some signs of modernism due to the renovation it had to undergo.
Hanuman Temple, one of the Hindu temples amongst the Eastern Group, is renowned for its gargantuan statue of Lord Hanuman – the ardent devotee of Lord Rama.
Brahma Temple, one of the oldest temples of Khajuraho is surprisingly dedicated to Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu. Built in 900 AD in granite and sandstone, this temple is quite simple in its architectural design yet it stand as a beautiful work of art. Unlike other temples, the exteriors of the Brahma Temple don’t depict figurative sculptures and heavy artwork. The deity seated in this temple is a four faced Lingam. Located near the Khajur Lake, this small shrine comprises only a sanctorum and there is no Mandap built. The Shikhara of the temple is adorned with five manifestations of Lord Shiva that reveal a composite image of his powers.
As the name suggests, this temple is dedicated to Lord Vamana, the forth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. He had taken a form of a dwarf (Vamana) to defeat the pride of King Mahabali. The exceptional feature of this temple is that, the third band of the exterior walls of this temple is embellished with diamonds instead of sculptures. Located towards north of Khajuraho, this temple falls apart from other temples and is surrounded by verdant forest and lush greenery. The temple is built in similar architectural style like other temples of Khajuraho Group with a sanctum, a Mahamandapa, an atrium, a porch and a single spire Shikhar. The ceiling of the temple and the balcony windows feature various statues of beautiful women and celestial maidens.
Javari Temple, located near the Brahma Temple is smaller in stature. It is about 11.88 meters long and 6.4 meters wide and the architectural style matches that of the Chattarbhuj Temple of Southern Group. Constructed between 1075 AD and 1100 AD, this temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is said that the temple is not named after the deity that is seated here but the person who owned the land where the shrine is built.
The outer walls and Shikhar of this temple are embellished with beautiful figures of maidens and complex sculptures depicting complicated carvings. The most remarkable aspect of this structure comprises the opulently carved elaborate entrance and the mighty tower that tops the temple.
Southern Group of Temples
Dulhadev Temple, built in 1130 AD represents classic specimen of Chandela architecture. Located on the south of Ghantai Temple, this shrine contains five small chambers and a closed hall. The sanctum of the temple, also known as 'Kunwar Math', accommodates an impressive Shiva lingam. As the temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva, the inner walls and ceilings of the shrine are decorated with the statues and figures of Lord Shiva along with his consort Goddess Parvati. The ostentatious sculptures and the statues are remarkable for their minute depiction of jewellery worn by Goddess Parvati as well as other maidens. The fine finishing with which this jewellery work is carved exhibits the mastery and artistic ingenuity prevalent during Chandela period. The ceilings of the shrine bear intricately carved statues of celestial beings and apsaras. The multiple Shikharas of this temple that surround the central Shikhara create a magnanimous vista. The sculptures that decorate the exteriors of the temples chiefly include wizards flying, musicians, dancers, etc.
Located in Vidisha at Khajuraho, this temple is one of the ruined temples that did not survive the test of time so very well. The locals believe that the Beejamandal Temple was hidden under the earth for many years. To our surprise, the architecture of this temple doesn’t match with other temples of Khajuraho style but it depicts the heavy influence of Indonesian or south-east Asian designs. Lighting the holy lamp in the sanctum of the temple every night is the tradition that is followed here for years.
The ruins of the temple indicate that it was dedicated to the Lord Shiva and his consort Goddess Parvati. The outer structure of the temple is embellished with various sculptures of animals and the interiors are decorated with human statues in several postures.
Chattarbhuj Temple or The Jatkari Temple
Chattarbhuj temple, also known as Jatkari Temple is estimated to be built in 1100 AD. Dedicated to Lord Vishnu in his Chattarbhuj Form, this temple is renowned for its architectural dexterity. Noteworthy feature of this temple is that is doesn’t have any sculpture depicting the scenes of love making. Built facing west, this shrine contains 10 steps that will reach you to the sanctum. The sanctum of this temple houses a massive idol of Chattarbhuj (having four arms) Lord Vishnu which is 9 feet high.