|Located at the northernmost part of the coast of Goa, Pernem
|10Km away from Mapusa, On the southern highland of the Chapora river.
|Olive Ridley Turtles
|Morjim beach, North Goa
|12Km from Panjim
|Church of Reis Magos
|Northern bank of river Mandovi Bardez
|Church of Holy Spirit
|North Divar, Opposite fort Naroa
|Cabo da Rama Fort
|Basilica of Bom Jesus
|9Km from Panji
|Church of St. Francis of Assisi
|Opposite to Basilica of Bom Jesus
|Right on the bank of the Mandovi river, next to Bom Jesus Basilica
|Shri Mangueshi Temple
|22Km from Panaji and 26Km from Margao
|33Km from Panjim
|Shri Laxmi Narasimha
|Shri Mahalsa Temple
Located at the northernmost part of the coast of Goa, the Tiracol Fort marks the most lush green corner of this beach capital of India. It was constructed by a local Raja with the objective of monitoring and protecting the traffic along the river Tiracol. However, it was overtaken by the Portuguese in 1746. A church has been built right in the middle of the fort. One can easily get to the fort by a ferry from the Keri beach. It fort provides captivating views of the Keri and Arambol beaches.
The present Chapora Fortis only a reconstruction of the original establishment by Shah Adil of Bijapur by the Portuguese in the year 1717. Located about 10 km away from Mapusa, this fort grandly overlooks the Vagator Beach. Being situated on the southern highland of the Chapora River, the fort also guards the Chapora Estuary
The Chapora Fort has been the venue for the shoot of a number of Bollywood flicks like Dil Chahta Hai. The panoramic view of the surrounding beaches that this fort offers, adds a different dimension to the visit to this relic from history.
Olive Ridley Turtles
The Morjim Beach in North Goa is the breeding grounds for the Olive Ridlety Turtles. Hundreds of hatchlings can be located on the beach squeaking their way to the high sea. The beach jostles with these tiny infants during the nesting months of November to March.
The Aguada Fort was the first line of defence during the Portuguese control over Goa. Situated about 12 km from the state capital Panjim, this fort was established in 1612 to protect Old Goa from the invasion of foreign ships via the Mandovi River.
The fort of Aguada is equipped with ammunition rooms, barracks and shows off the first ever made lighthouse in Asia. It bears the testimony of a number of bloodbaths that even had a toll on the well being of the fort itself. Today the fort serves the state of Goa as the Central Jail. The tower bell which was the censure of attraction for this historical relic at one time, today adds to the spiritual charm of the Church of Lady of Immaculate Conception
Church of Reis Magos
This church marks a potpourri of Hindu and occidental culture. This is because while the lions at the foot of the steps suggest a clear borrowing of the Hindu art, the altar portrays the three Magi paying tribute to the New Born Jesus. Situated in 1551 on the banks of the Mandovi River, this church was built by Franciscan missionaries and is dedicated to St. Jerome. It offers an enchanting view of the sea and the golden sandy beaches that scintillates with natural beauty and charm.
Built in the Altinho region of the state capital Panjim, the Bishop’s Palace, built in 1894, is a must visit place for the devotees, particularly during Christmas when the ritual of Mass is performed under the star studded sky.
Church of Holy Spirit
This Church of the Holy Spirit was built by Jesuit Friar Antonio de Quadros in 1565, after the Damodar temple was demolished in1564. Modeled on the Basilica de Bom Jesus, the Church has an ornamental altar with a gilded and carved archway. The interiors of the Church are also majestic and bears distinct marks of novelty in design and sublimity of style.
Cabo da Rama Fort
The name of the fort of Cabo da Rama certainly rings a bell in the minds of the tourists. Yes- the fort owes its name to the Hindu epic Ramayana. Located in Canacona, Goa’s southernmost Taluka, this Fort dated back to the pre- Portuguese period. It is believed that while Lord Rama was on exile he lived here with his wife Sita. Since Laterite is available abundantly along the sea shore, most of the forts here are built out of that material and this too is no exception.
Basilica of Bom Jesus
This cathedral is the first Minor Basilica in India and is regarded as the best example of Baroque architecture in India. Though the layout follows a typical Renaissance architectural pattern, the detailing and illustrations are pure personifications of Baroque.
The internal decorations of the Church are grand and novel. It has gilded altars, frescoes and beautiful inlay work. The word Bom means ‘God Jesus’ or ‘Infant Jesus’. However, the main attraction of the church is that it encases the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier, the patron Saint of Goa. The mummified body has been preserved in an airtight glass coffin, positioned in a silver casket, designed by Giovanni Batista Foggini, a 17th century Florentine sculptor.
Public viewing of the coffin only happens on the occasions of exposition. The last public exposition had happened in 2004. Tourists also enjoy the entertaining light and sound show depicting the birth and life of Jesus, St, Francis Xavier and Blessed Joseph Vaz.
Church of St. Francis of Assisi
The church of St. Francis of Assisi is located just opposite to the Basilica of Bom Jesus. Built in 1521, it owes a foundation by the Franciscan monks. The church excels in architectural pattern and structural ingenuity. The Tuscan façade, the Baroque interiors, the gilded altar, the inscribed tombstones and the Manuline style interiors of this impressive church adds to it a different dimension and makes a visit to this place an absolute necessity for both the devotees of the Christian religion as well as admirers of all sorts of art and culture.
Se or St. Catherine’s Church is larger in structure and dimension than any other Church in India. The mamothness of its size justifies the fact that the duration for which the construction of the church was in progress was as many as 80 years and it was hallowed only in 1640. one of the striking feature of this church is its bell that is placed atop the tower. It is often referred to as the ‘Golden Bell’, implying the richness of its gong.
Shri Mangueshi Temple
Lord Manguesh is an exclusive diety of Goa. Believed to be an incarnation of Lord Shiva, this temple dedicated to Shri Manguesh, like many other religious sites of Goa reflects a melting pot of culture and tradition. While the doomed tops of the temple suggest a distinct Muslim influence on the architectural pattern of the temple, the octagonal tower above the sanctum and the balustrade design indicate a Christian intervention. A brightly colored temple places on wheels grabs the attention of the tourists immediately at the entrance. On the annual festival of the temple the deities are taken out on chariots.
Shahu Maharaja of Satara is given the credit of having built this temple in 1738 A.D., and dedicating it to Goddess Parvati, the emblem of justice and peace. It is popularly known as the |Santeri temple among the Goans. What immediately arrests the attention of the tourists inside the temple is the five storied lamp and the roof that is made of slabs of stone.
Shri Laxmi Narasimha
This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and his wife Goddess Laxmi. Built in the 18th century, this temple is located in Ponda. The temple Chowki depicts a few carvings and paintings of Sri Narasimha Purana, that are exemplified pieces of art. The lovers of art and sculpture are sure to have the time of their lives in this temple.
Shri Mahalsa Temple
The main diety of this temple is Mohini, the female incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Located in Mardol, the temple flaunts off an elaborate silver frame surrounding the doorway. The feature that makes this temple an indispensable stop for the visitors is the 21- tiered deepmal (lamp tower). It is made of brass and is regarded as the world’s largest Lamp tower. It is placed above Kurma, the tortoise incarnation of Lord Vishnu.