Search Hotel By Name:

Udaipur Sightseeing

City PalaceLocated on the east bank of the Pichola Lake
Lake PalaceLocated on the ‘Jag Niwas Island’ in the middle of Pichola Lake
Sajjangarh Palace (Monsoon Palace) Located at Bansdara Peak in Aravalli Mountain ranges
Fateh Prakash PalaceLocated right in the heart of city Udaipur on the eastern banks of the Pichola Lake
Durbar HallPlaced within the Fateh Prakash Palace
Maharana Pratap MemorialPlaced at the top of the Pearl Hill
Pichola Lake Located in a village called Picholi
Fateh Sagar LakeLocated to the north of Pichola Lake
Rajsamand LakeLocated near a town named Rajsamand about 66 km to the north of Udaipur
Udaysagar Lake Located approximately 13 km to the east of Udaipur
Raj Angan (Gol Mahal)Located inside the City Palace complex
Saheliyon-ki-BariLocated in the northern part of Udaipur
Bagore-Ki-Haveli DharoharLocated on the edge of beautiful Lake Pichola at Gangori Ghat
City Palace Museum Located inside the City Palace Complex
Ahar MuseumSituated nearly 2 kilometers to the east of Udaipur
Udaipur Folk Museum (Bharatiya Lok Kala)Placed to the north of Chetak Circle in the city of Udaipur
Crystal GallerySet up inside the Fateh Prakash Palace
Udaipur Solar ObservatoryStationed on one of the islands of Fateh Sagar Lake
Gulab Bagh and ZooPositioned on the Lake Palace Road right near the banks of the Pichola Lake
Nehru Garden (Fateh Sagar) Placed in the midst of the Fateh Sagar Lake
Duddhtalaii and Musical Garden Located in Duddhtalai
Sukhadia Circle Placed in the midst of the Fateh Sagar Lake
Laxmi Chowk Located in the main enclosure of the Zanana Mahal
Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary Located in the Rajsamand District of the state of Rajasthan.
Jag Mandir Situated in the famous Pichola Lake of Udaipur
Jagdish Temple Located inside the City Palace Complex
Dil Kushal Located in City Palace
Shilp GramLocated at the foot hills of Aravalli Mountain Ranges

City Palace

Location: On the east bank of the Pichola Lake
City Palace of Udaipur, perched on the east bank of the Pichola Lake was initiated by Maharana Udai Singh II in the year 1559 that marked the onset of the establishment of Udaipur City. After his demise, about 76 generations of Sisodia Maharanas of Udaipur continued adding sub palaces and other buildings for next 300 years and brought the City Palace to its present stature. This gargantuan palace complex houses several sub edifices including Amar Vilas, Badi Mahal, Moti Mahal, Durbar Hall, Fateprakash Palace, Bhim Vilas, Chini Chitrashala, Choti Chitrashali, Dilkhusha Mahal, Jagadish Temple, Krishna Vilas, Manak Mahal, Mor Chowk, Zenana Mahal, Rang Bhawan, Sheesh Mahal, Shambu Niwas and so on. ‘Bara Pol’ is the main entrance of the palace while the ‘Tripolia Pol’ is the renowned triple arched gate of the City Palace that provides the northern entry.
The City Palace of Udaipur depicting the fine blend of Rajasthani, Mughal, European, Medieval and Chinese styles of architecture is considered to be the largest palace of its type in the whole of Rajasthan. This palace complex of ‘Suryavanshi’ (descendants of the Sun God) Maharanas, 244 meters in length and 30.4 meters in height, is set up facing the east. Entirely constructed in marble and granite, this palace complex comprises 11 separate palaces. The interiors of the City Palace, its balconies, imposing towers and cupolas are decorated with delicate mirror-work, silver-work, marble-work, inlay-work, wall paintings, murals and colored glasses and the exteriors are painted in gleaming white color. Erected against the picturesque background of Aravalli Mountain Ranges on the banks of the famous Pichola Lake, the City Palace offers a panoramic view of entire Udaipur City from its terraces. The self contained City Palace of Udaipur is acclaimed as ‘a city within a city’. A part of the James Bond film ‘Octopussy’ was shot in this palace where it was depicted as a hotel where James Bond stayed.

Lake Palace

Location: On the ‘Jag Niwas Island’ in the middle of Pichola Lake
The Lake Palace of Udaipur, earlier known by the name ‘Jag Niwas’ is built on the ‘Jag Niwas Island’ in the middle of Pichola Lake. Jag Niwas Island is spread over the total area of about 16,000 square meters. Constructed as a royal summer palace under the administration of 62nd Maharani of Mewar from 1743 to 1746, the Lake Palace is believed to have inspired the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in the construction of his master piece of architecture the Taj Mahal. Jag Niwas didn’t undergo any renovations or additions except for during the rule of Maharana Bhopal Singh who added a pavilion named ‘Chandra Prakash’.
Built facing the east, the Lake Palace of Udaipur served as a refuge to the several European families at the time of Indian Sepoy Mutiny of 1857. Maharana Bhagwat Singh, the last ruler of Udaipur State decided to convert the Jag Niwas Palace into the first luxury hotel of Udaipur. The Lake Palace was restored and now it is a multi star luxury hotel containing 83 rooms and administered by the Taj Group of Hotels. A boat operated by the hotel management transports the tourists between the Lake Palace and the City Palace. Some international dignitaries namely Queen Elizabeth, Jacqueline Kennedy, Lord Curzon and Vivien Leigh paid a visit to this palace hotel and expressed their affection and approval. The Lake Palace was depicted as the home of Octopussy in the James Bond movie of the same name. It also served as the backdrop to the British Television Series ‘The Jewel in the Crown’.

Sajjangarh Palace (Monsoon Palace)

Location: At Bansdara Peak in Aravalli Mountain ranges
The Sajjangarh Palace also referred to as the ‘Monsoon Palace’ is nestled at the altitude of 944 meters above the sea level at Bansdara Peak in Aravalli Mountain ranges. Christened after the name of its founder Maharana Sajjan Singh, the construction of this palace was commenced in the year 1883 and later completed by Maharana Sajjan Singh’s successor Maharana Fateh Singh. This gigantic structure stationed overlooking the Pichola Lake was used as the astronomical centre to observe the progress of monsoon clouds and also as a summer palace to escape from the scorching heat of Udaipur City. It is also said that Maharana Sajjan Singh built this palace at such a height so as to get a view of Chittorgarh; their earlier capital and his ancestral home. This palace constructed in the White Marble is a nine storied complex. The walls are plastered by lime mortar. The pillars of the palace are ornately decorated with intricate designs of flowers and leaves. The edifice harbors a unique water harvesting system that collected the rain water in an underground tank. From the top of the palace we get astounding views of entire Udaipur Region and the graphical Pichola Lake.

Fateh Prakash Palace

Location: Right in the heart of city Udaipur on the eastern banks of the Pichola Lake
Fateh Prakash Palace located right in the heart of city Udaipur on the eastern banks of the Pichola Lake is an integral part of the City Palace Complex. Named after Maharana Fateh Sigh who constructed it, the Fateh Prakash Palace furnished as the venue of many royal functions and ceremonies. The interiors of the palace are ornamented with beautiful miniature paintings, royal portraits, artifacts, armory used by Sisodia Rulers and articles and furniture that belonged to the Mewar Royalty. The Fateh Prakash Palace that sufficed as the resident of Maharana Fateh Sigh is now converted to a luxury five star hotel. This hotel was certified as the best Heritage Hotel in 'Heritage Grand' category by the Department of Tourism, Government of India for the year 2001-2002.

Durbar Hall

Location: Within the Fateh Prakash Palace
Durbar Hall constructed within the Fateh Prakash Palace in the year 1909 is acclaimed as the most splendid Durbar Hall of the country. The foundation Stone of the Durbar Hall was laid down by the then Viceroy of India; Lord Minto. This is one of the most ostentatious and illustrious chambers built in Udaipur which was used by the royal ladies of Mewar State to be seated and observe the proceedings of the court. The Durbar Hall houses a number of unusually large chandeliers adorned with paintings and portraits of the Maharanas of Sisodia Clan. This magnanimous hall also accommodates various weapons that were used by the Maharanas in battles. The ceiling of the Durbar Hall is exquisitely embellished with ornate carvings and engravings. The viewing galleries that encompass the mighty Durbar Hall were also availed by the ladies of the royal families to observe the outer views remaining inside the privacy of their veils. Now the flamboyant Durbar Hall is converted to a luxurious heritage hotel.

Maharana Pratap Memorial

Location: At the top of the Pearl Hill
Maharana Pratap Memorial, erected at the top of the Pearl Hill (Moti Magri) is a commemoratory structure built overlooking the Fatah Sagar Lake in the honor of the great Rajput vindicator Maharana Pratap. The life size bronze statue at the Maharana Pratap Memorial depicts the Maharana riding his loyal and beloved horse Chetak. Adjacent to the Pearl Hill are situated the remnants of one of the forts of Udaipur and the Japanese Rock Garden.

Pichola Lake

Location: In a village called Picholi
The Pichola Lake of Udaipur is an artificial fresh water lake constructed in the year 1362 AD and named after a village called Picholi situated nearby. This 4 km long and 3 km wide lake is one of the several interconnected lakes of the ‘Lake City’ Udaipur that bears the two large islands ‘Jag Niwas’ and ‘Jag Mandir’. This lake was dug up by a gypsy tribesman called ‘Banjara’ during the domain of Maharana Lakha. Later, Maharana Udai Singh II built a palace on the banks of this lake and established the Udaipur City there. He constructed a stone masonry dam and enlarged the lake. The land skirting the lake and the islands inside the lake were developed by constructing several palaces, temples, mansions, bathing ghats, chabutaras, etc. over the centuries. Some of the famous edifices engineered in the proximity of the Pichola Lake include the City Palace, the Lake Palace, Jag Mandir, Mohan Mandir, Arsi Vilas Island and the Sitamata Game Sanctuary.
Prince Khurram who had revolted against Emperor Jahangir sought refuge of the Mewar King Maharana Karan Singh II in the year 1623. He was then housed in the half completed Jag Mandir. Price Khurram is the very prince who later anointed to the throne of Mughal Empire and came to be known as Shah Jahan. As per the legend associated with the background of Pichola Lake, a Natini was challenged by Maharana Jawan Singh to cross the lake over a tightrope stretched across and if she succeeds in doing so, she was to have half of the Mewar Empire. But to prevent this, the Natini was tricked and she fell into the lake and drowned. Before dying, she spell a curse upon the Maharana’s family that they would not have any direct heirs. This curse is believed to have come true as the six kings out of seven who succeeded Maharana Jawan Singh were adopted heirs.

Fateh Sagar Lake

Location: To the north of Pichola Lake
Fateh Sagar Lake, one of the four interconnected lakes of the city Udaipur is an artificial lake originally constructed by Maharana Jai Singh in 1678 AD. Located to the north of Pichola Lake and connected with it through a canal, Fateh Sagar Lake was washed away in a flood after two hundred years of its construction. The lake was reconstructed by Maharana Fateh Singh in 1888 AD and christened after his own name. The Duke of Connaught had laid the foundation stone of this new construction. Acknowledged as the pride of Udaipur, Fateh Sagar Lake bears three important islands namely Nehru Park Island, Udaipur Solar Observatory Island and the one which houses a public park with a water-jet fountain.
These islands of Fateh Sagar Lake can be accessed by motor boats from Moti Magri (Pearl Hill). The azure blue waters of the lake embellished with the reflection of the lush greenery that embroiders its edges have bestowed upon Udaipur the title of ‘The Kashmir of Rajasthan’. As per the reports of the Udaipur Lake Conservation Society, Fateh Sagar Lake provides the water for drinking, agricultural use, industrial use, supports ground water recharge and sustains the ecological water level. It is also reported that Fateh Sagar Lake provides employment to over 60% of the population of Udaipur city. The flora of the lake includes different types of Macrophytes and Phytoplanktons, while the fauna of the Fateh Sagar Lake includes varieties of Fish, Zooplankton and Benthos. The Fateh Sagar Lake is popular for its Hariyali Amavasya Mela Festival (Green New Moon Fair) which is an annual festival organized here in the month of August or September.

Rajsamand Lake

Location: Near a town named Rajsamand about 66 km to the north of Udaipur
Rajsamand Lake, one of the five celebrated lakes of Udaipur is located near a town named Rajsamand about 66 km to the north of Udaipur. Also reckoned by the name Rajsamudra Lake, Rajsamand Lake was constructed by Maharana Raj Singh in the year 1660. This is a 4 miles long, 1.75 miles wide and 60 feet deep lake that receives water supply from the river Gomti. A water reservoir was also constructed over this lake in 17th century. The Rajsamand Lake is particularly praised for a huge edifice entirely constructed in pure white marble on its southern bank. This building has a number of marble terraces and the stone steps leading to this structure touch the waters of the Rajsamand Lake.
Apart from that, the lake littoral is also adorned by the five Toranas (weighing arches) where Maharana Raj Singh and his successors organized the traditional event of Tula Dan when they donated the gold equal to their weight. The lake embankment also holds the ‘Nauchowki’ (nine residential pavilions) set up by Maharana Raj Singh. The ornately carved pavilions are decorated with motifs of the Gods, chariots, Sun, birds and other impressive patterns. On twenty seven marble slabs we can find the carvings of 'Raj Prasasti' wherein the glorious history of Mewar is inscribed in 1017 stanzas. It has been acclaimed as one of the longest etchings in the country. During World War II, Rajsamand Lake furnished as the seaplane base of Imperial Airways over six years. The lake water is basking in the deem shades of setting sun at the time of dust when taking a stroll around the lake is a real leisure and relaxation from every day stress.

Udaysagar Lake

Location: Approximately 13 km to the east of Udaipur
Udaysagar Lake, constructed in the year 1565 during the dominion of Maharana Udai Singh is a beautiful lake built over a river named Berach. Located approximately 13 km to the east of Udaipur, Udaysagar Lake is 4 km in length, 2.5 km in width and 9 meters in depth. Spread over the sprawling area of about 10.5 sq. km. Udaysagar Lake mainly supplies water for drinking and agricultural purposes. The dam built over the Berach River has generated this lake. A canal connects the Udaysagar Lake to the river Berach which manages and controls the overflow of the lake during the rainy season.
Udaysagar Lake holds much significance in the history of Mewar Kingdom. In the year 1573 Kunwar Man Singh had invited Maharana Pratap to the banks of the Udaysagar Lake in order to discuss the surrendering terms and conditions to the mighty Mughal Emperor Akbar. Maharana Pratap declined the invitation and also insulted Kunwar Man Singh which led to the famous Battle of Haldighati of 1576 AD when Maharana Pratap lost to the Mughal Empire. Later, Maharana Raj Singh restored the kingdom by conquering the army of Aurangzeb near Udaysagar Lake itself.

Raj Angan (Gol Mahal)

Location: Inside the City Palace complex
Raj Angan, popularly known as Gol Mahal is a sub structure located inside the City Palace complex. Positioned in the direction of Badi Chowk at the entrance of the City Palace, the dome shaped Raj Angan is speculated to be serving as the King’s courtyard. Constructed by Maharana Udai Singh in the year 1572, Raj Angan is a venue where King’s Court was held where he used to solve the stately problems and impart justice to his subjects. Due to its dome shaped roof, the Raj Angan is also known as Gol Mahal. The architectural style of Raj Angan depicts clear influences of Mughal fashion and resembles Taj Mahal in some of its aspects. Today Raj Angan is stocked with numerous portraits of the erstwhile rulers of Mewar Domain. A number of souvenirs of Maharana Pratap Singh, paintings, his personal weapons and other weapons and armors used by the rulers of Mewar are exhibited in one section of Raj Angan. Another section of Raj Angan is dedicated to Chetak, the favorite and loyal horse of Maharana Pratap who was killed in the battle of Haldighati.


Location: In the northern part of Udaipur
Saheliyon-ki-Bari, a beautiful garden in the erstwhile princely state of Udaipur is one of the must visit tourist destination of the city. Set up by Maharana Bhopal Singh in 18th century in the northern part of Udaipur, Saheliyon-ki-Bari is festooned with dazzling fountains, magnificent kiosks, grand pavilions, charming lotus pool, graceful marble elephants and a small museum. The term Saheliyon-ki-Bari means the garden of the friends.
Saheliyon-ki-Bari was constructed for a group of 48 young women attendants who had accompanied a newly wedded bride from her father’s kingdom to Udaipur as a part of her dowry. This pulchritudinous garden set up down the banks of the Fateh Sagar Lake is distinctly exalted for its lush green and well landscaped garden, flower beds, angelic fountains and splendid marble art. Saheliyon-ki-Bari furnished as a green retreat in the desert lands of Rajasthan for the royal ladies and their maids to relax and enjoy. Later, Maharana Bhopal Singh also built an artificial rain dance pavilion. The fountains in the garden were imported from England. The small museum situated in the garden premises displays a huge collection of royal household things, ancient pictures and stuffed animals.

Bagore-Ki-Haveli Dharohar

Location: On the edge of beautiful Lake Pichola at Gangori Ghat
Bagore-Ki-Haveli is an ancient edifice set up right on the banks of Pichola Lake at Gangori Ghat. Constructed by Amir Chand Badwa, the then Prime Minister of Mewar Kingdom in 18th century, this Haveli is renowned for its intricate carvings and colorful glasswork. Following the demise of Amir Chand Badwa, this Haveli came under the proprietorship of the state of Mewar. Maharana Shakti Singh of Bagore made this Haveli his residence in the year 1878 who also consolidated three stories to the main building. Thenceforth the Haveli came to be known as Bagore-Ki-Haveli, meaning the Mansion of Bagore. This mansion was left abandoned for over 50 years which caused the significant depletion of the structure. Very recently in the year 1986 the Haveli was handed over to the West Zone Cultural Centre (WZCC) who restored the Haveli in its old architectural grandeur and set up a museum in the Haveli Complex.
This museum of the Bagore-Ki-Haveli is noteworthy for depicting the aristocratic culture of Mewar state. You can watch a number of mural paintings, the costumes of the Mewar Royalty, jewellery boxes, pan boxes, hukkas, nut crackers, rose water sprinklers, dice-games, hand fans, copper vessels and other antique articles belonging to the erstwhile Mewar rulers. Beautiful peacocks made with small pieces of colored glass really ensnare the onlookers. This imposing mansion today accommodates more than 100 rooms embellished with terraces, well-arranged balconies, corridors and courtyards. The interiors of the Haveli are adorned with intricate mirror work. You can also pay a visit to the private quarters of the royal ladies, their living rooms, bed rooms, bath rooms, dressing rooms, worship rooms as well as recreation rooms which were impossible to access during the bygone era.
Every evening the Bagore-Ki-Haveli is illuminated with thousands of glimmering lights. Today, Bagore-Ki-Haveli stages Rajasthani traditional dance and music concerts. This is an ideal place to explore the ancient architectural fashion and the exotic life style of the royal family of Mewar.

City Palace Museum

Location: Inside the City Palace Complex
Also known by the name ‘Pratap Museum’, The City Palace Museum is located inside the City Palace Complex and is acclaimed for its rich collection of sculptures, trinkets, curios, artifacts, inscriptions and other antiques and relics that take us on the tour of the bygone era of Mewar Empire. As you enter the City Palace, you will come across a straight pathway that will lead you to the City Palace Museum. The entrance of the City Palace Museum is known by the name Ganesh Deori meaning the ‘Door of Lord Ganesha’. As you enter the Ganesh Deori, you will encounter the Raj Angan where Maharana Udai Singh used to organize his Court or Durbar. This is the exact locale where Maharana Udai Singh II was instructed by a hermit to build a palace and establish a city.
As you cross the Raj Angan, you will reach the armory museum where the variety of weapons including swords, spears, other protective gears, and also the very armor used by Maharana Pratap himself as well as the drums and bugles of Rana Sanga are displayed. The City Palace Museum also houses priceless paintings of Mewar and Rajasthani art, a matchless collection of sculptures, coins, portraits, wall-paintings, inscriptions, the turban of Prince Khurram (ShahJahan), etc. The City Palace Museum is divided into several sections, each of them presenting a distinct theme. ‘Zenana Mahal’ houses arms, armor, photographs, paintings, insignia and various other objects revealing the royal legacy of Sisodia Maharanas of Mewar. The maximum area of the City Palace Complex is acquired by the City Palace Museum.

Ahar Museum

Location: Nearly 2 kilometers to the east of Udaipur
Ahar Museum of Udaipur is an assortment of the cenotaphs built in the honor of the erstwhile Maharanas of Mewar Domain. Situated nearly 2 kilometers to the east of Udaipur, Ahar Museum harbors about 250 cenotaphs where several Maharanas and other members of royalty of Mewar Kingdom were cremated. One of these cenotaphs is dedicated to Maharana Amar Singh, the son of Maharana Pratap Singh who held the reigns of Mewar from 1597 to 1620.
These cenotaphs were built over about 350 years. You can see 19 chhatris that were built commemorating the 19 Maharanas of Mewar who were cremated here. Ahar Museum houses some of the rare exhibits such as unique Rajasthani pottery items, earthen pots, sculptures, archaeological excavations and finds and some articles dated back to 17th century BC. The special attraction of the Ahar Museum of Udaipur is a metal figure of Lord Buddha dated back to 10th century AD.

Udaipur Folk Museum (Bharatiya Lok Kala)

Location: To the north of Chetak Circle in the city of Udaipur
Udaipur Folk Museum, popularly known as ‘Bharatiya Lok Kala Museum’ is placed to the north of Chetak Circle in the city of Udaipur. This museum is commended for its noteworthy collection of folk musical instruments, folk ornaments, garments, paintings, dolls, puppets, idols of Gods and Goddesses, masks and many more artifacts. The most prominent attraction of Udaipur Folk Museum is its exclusive puppet show organized daily in the evening. These puppets are decorated with bright multi colored dresses and dazzling ethnic jewelry. The puppet shows are wonderfully produced and directed. This museum specifically beckons those art lovers who are interested in artifacts and artifacts making. The museum also offers a number of short term courses including puppet making and theater. Udaipur Folk Museum can be visited from 9 in the morning to 4 in the evening. The museum is open everyday except from the public holidays.
Location: Set up inside the Fateh Prakash Palace
Crystal Gallery, set up inside the Fateh Prakash Palace was established by Maharana Sajjan Singhji of erstwhile Mewar Kingdom. Though as old as 133 years, his Crystal Gallery was opened to the public very recently in the year 1994. The Crystal Gallery possesses a vast acquisition of beautiful and precious crystal items such as crystal dressing tables, dining table, throne like chairs, sofas, beds, a four-poster bed with rich hangings, table fountains, crockery, perfume and honey bottles, trays, champagne glasses, plates, cups, coasters, candle stands, washing bowls, frames, a unique jewel studded carpet, Oslers Crystals and so on. Oslers Crystals were ordered by Maharana Sajjan Singh in 1877 AD from ‘F and C Osler Company’, Birmingham, England. Other crystal articles were also imported by him from various parts of the world. The Crystal Gallery sufficed as the venue of royal weddings, parties, meetings and festivals. The Dilkhus Mahal located adjacent the Crystal Gallery exhibits the unique collage of peacocks and several paintings.

Udaipur Solar Observatory

Location: On one of the islands of Fateh Sagar Lake
Udaipur Solar Observatory stationed on one of the islands of Fateh Sagar Lake is the only solar observatory of Asia. Established by Dr. Arvind Bhatnagar in the year 1976, Udaipur Solar Observatory was fashioned after the Solar Observatory at Big Bear Lake in Southern California. The Physical Research Laboratory of Ahmedabad has been managing the Udaipur Solar Observatory since 1981 on the behalf of the Department of Space, Government of India. Dr. Ashok Ambastha joined Dr. Arvind Bhatnagar in the year 1983 and later many other scientists contributed to the development of Udaipur Solar Observatory. Also known by the short cut ‘USO’, Udaipur Solar Observatory is noteworthy for its solar observations for the studies of mass ejections, solar flares and the evolution of solar active regions. To reach USO you can take a boat from the shores of the Fateh Sagar Lake.

Gulab Bagh and Zoo

Location: On the Lake Palace Road right near the banks of the Pichola Lake
Set up by Maharana Sajjan Singh during 1850's, the Sajjan Niwas Bagh is the largest garden of Rajasthan. Spread over an extensive area of 100 acres, this garden is acclaimed for its exuberant varieties of rose flowers. Due to this, the Sajjan Niwas Bagh is popularly known as Gulab Bagh or Rose Garden in Udaipur. Positioned on the Lake Palace Road right near the banks of the Pichola Lake, Gulab Bagh is noteworthy for its extraordinary array of uncommon roses. The artistic arrangement of rose beds, flourishing trees, orchids and widespread lush green lawns of the Gulab Bagh captivate its visitors to no extent. Gulab Bagh also houses a toy train and a zoo that immensely amuse the kids. The Gulab Bagh Zoo shelters legions of animals such as tigers, leopards, gazelle, chinkaras, and birds and so on. Moreover, the Gulab Bagh also houses a library called ‘Saraswati Bhawan Library’ renowned for its rich collection of the books on archaeology, history, indology and a number of manuscripts dated back to the early medieval period. A museum located in the Gulab Bagh premises is called Victoria Hall Museum reckoned for its wide collection of royal household items, curios, antiques, and other relics from yesteryears. Gulab Bagh was once regarded as one of the largest urban parks of the country. This Arcadia incarnated is thronged by the tourists alighted from every corner of the country and globe all round the year.

Nehru Garden (Fateh Sagar)

Location: In the midst of the Fateh Sagar Lake
Nehru Garden, placed in the midst of the Fateh Sagar Lake on an oval shaped island is a beautiful park sprawling over the total area of about 4.5 acres. Inaugurated on 14th Nov. 1967, i.e. the birth anniversary of Pundit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of India, this park got christened after his name as ‘Nehru Garden’. The garden is placed overlooking the ancient Moti Mahal of Maharana Pratap and the towering Aravalli Mountain Ranges. To reach the Nehru Garden ornamented with charming flower beds and a lily pond, you will have to take a boat ride from the banks of the lake. Nehru Garden is also famous for its musical fountains that resemble the fountains of the well known Brindavan Garden of Mysore. The added attraction of the garden is a boat shaped floating restaurant.

Duddhtalaii and Musical Garden

Location: In Duddhtalai
Duddhtalaii and Musical Garden is a wonderful rock garden established by the ‘Urban Development Trust Udaipur’ at Duddhtalaii. From here you can enjoy the spectacular vista of the sunset beyond the Aravalli Mountain Ranges and the picturesque views of the marvelous Pichola Lake and resplendent palaces set up around. A musical fountain placed in this garden is the pioneer musical fountain in the state of Rajasthan.

Sukhadia Circle

Location: In Panchwati in the northern suburb of Udaipur
Sukhadia Circle or Sukhadia Square is located in Panchwati in the northern suburb of Udaipur. Inaugurated in the year 1970 this square is named after Mohan Lal Sukhadia; the first chief minister of the sate of Rajasthan. Sukhadia Square is festooned with a spectacular three tired fountain in the center. This is a favorite vantage point of Udaipur and a popular hangout of the city. The fountain is illuminated with twinkling lights at night and presents an eye catching vision. Sukhadia Circle, endowed with a nice pond and beautiful gardens is a much sought after evening get away of Udaipur. Some duck shaped paddle boats and toy trains are made available for the merriment of children here.

Laxmi Chowk

Location: In the main enclosure of the Zanana Mahal
Laxmi Chowk located in the main enclosure of the Zanana Mahal is the courtyard dedicated to Goddess Laxmi. This Chowk was constructed in the Queen’s Palace for the sake of royal ladies to gather and worship the Goddess. Laxmi Chowk also furnishes as the gateway to other main palaces inside the City Palace Complex and provides direct access to Badal Mahal and Rang Bhawan. This impressive Chowk is adorned with beautiful paintings, verdant lawns and a number of floral plants.

Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary

Location: In the Rajsamand District of the state of Rajasthan
Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the Rajsamand District of the state of Rajasthan. Named after the fortress Kumbhalgarh that is placed in the midst of the sanctuary, this reservoir is expanded over a far reaching area of about 578 sq. km. Extending across the Aravalli Mountain Ranges, the Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary covers the regions of Rajsamand, Udaipur, and Pali districts. Perched at the altitude varying from 500 meters to 1300 meters, this Wildlife Sanctuary provides a secured shelter to a large variety of wildlife in their natural habitat. Some of the animals found in this reserve belong to the group of highly endangered species.
The wild animals dwelling here include leopards, jackal, wolf, jungle cat, hyena, sloth bear, nilgai, chausingha, smabhar, four horned antelope, hare and chinkaras. The birds spotted in Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary include grey jungle fowl, peacocks, doves, parakeets, red spur owls, golden oriole, bulbul, grey pigeons and white breasted kingfisher. Kumbhalgarh Wildlife Sanctuary is situated about 100 km from Udaipur. Local tour operators organize horse safari and foot trekking in the sanctuary. The safari route enters the sanctuary at the Kumbhalgarh Fort and terminates near Ghanerao.

Jag Mandir

Location: In the famous Pichola Lake of Udaipur
Jag Mandir Palace is nestled on one of the three islands situated in the famous Pichola Lake of Udaipur. Also known by the name Lake Garden Palace, the construction of Jag Mandir was commenced by Maharana Karan Singh II and completed by Maharana Jagat Singh in 17th century AD. This three storied edifice is built in marble and yellow sandstone. Jag Mandir Palace served as a refuge to the Prince Khurram (Shah Jahan) who had revolted against Mughal Emperor Jahangir and sought concealment in the durbar of Maharana Karan Singh. During the Indian Mutiny of 1857, Jag Mandir Palace also sheltered many European Families during the domain of Maharana Swaroop Singh. Jag Mandir Palace Complex houses a number of sub structures namely Gul Mahal, Kunwar Pada ka Mahal, Bara Patharon ka Mahal and the Zenana Mahal.
Jag Mandir Palace is decorated with beautiful gardens and is famous for its museum preserving the history of Jag Mandir Island as well as the palace. The most noteworthy attraction of the Jag Mandir Palace is its huge sculpture of eight life size elephants beautifully carved out of pure white marble guarding the palace. Today, a Darikhana Restaurant is set up on this island that serves you with delectable Rajasthani cuisine.

Jagdish Temple

Location: Inside the City Palace Complex
Jagdish Temple, located inside the City Palace Complex was constructed by Maharana Jagat Singh in the year 1651. One of the celebrated religious sights of the lake city Udaipur, this temple is dedicated to Lord Laxmi Narayan (Lord Vishnu and his consort Laxmi). Built in an Indo-Aryan style of architecture, this is the largest temple of Udaipur City. This three-storied temple is praised for its beautifully carved pillars, ornately decorated ceilings, brilliantly painted walls and lavish halls. The spire of the main temple adorned with the sculptures of dancers, musicians, horsemen, and elephants, is approximately 79 feet high. Two huge stone elephants guard the entrance to the Jagdish Temple. A stone slab found in the temple carries the inscriptions that refer to Maharaja Jagat Singh. It is said that this temple was built at the expenditure of about 1.5 million rupees in those days of antiquity.

Shilp Gram

Location: At the foot hills of Aravalli Mountain Ranges
Shilp Gram, located at the foot hills of Aravalli Mountain Ranges is a craftsmen’s village in Udaipur. This is a museum that displays the art, craft and the cultural heritage of various states of India including the aborigines. Set in a spacious area of about 173 hectares, Shilp Gram encloses 26 huts constructed in traditional architectural manner that display plentiful house hold decorative articles. A large amphitheatre is constructed in Shilp Gram where a number of theatre festivals based in different states of the country are organized.

Dil Kushal

Location: In City Palace
The term ‘Dil Kushal’ means that which makes your heart happy. This is one of the largest sections of the City Palace which was constructed by Maharana Karan Singh for the ladies of royalty. Zenana Mahal, the Queen’s Palace is situated at the southern end of Dil Kushal. Dil Kushal is perched overlooking the serene Pichola Lake in the midst of beautiful surroundings. The interiors of Dil Kushal are majestically embellished with mirrored glasses and floored with lofty White Marbles. The Palace comprising beautiful lawns, lush green gardens and imperial balconies encloses all the comforts of a royal life.