Search Hotel By Name:

Secunderabad Sightseeing

Rashtrapati Nilayam Located at Bollarum
Sangeet CinemaLocated on the Sarojini Devi Road (S. D. Road) opposite a petrol pump in Rani Gunj
Ujjaini Mahankali Mata Temple Located at General Bazaar in the Kalasiguda
Sree Ayyappa Devasthanam Located at Lal Bazar along the Ammuguda Road of Trimulgherry
Sri Ganesh Temple Located at Gopalpuram near the Secunderabad Railway Station
St. John the Baptist ChurchLocated just meters from the Jordan River
St. Mary's ChurchLocated close to the St. Ann's Convent
All Saints’ ChurchLocated at Trimulgherry
Holy Trinity Church Located at Bolarum
Spanish MosqueLocated at Begumpet
Sayedani Maa Tomb Located in the northern end of the Tank Bund of Secunderabad
CharminarLocated on the eastern banks of the river Musi just 20 kilometers from the heart of the city
Golconda FortLocated approximately 25 km from the main city of Secunderabad
Falaknuma PalaceLocated 5 kilometers from Charminar and about 25 kilometers from Secunderabad on the National Highway no 9
Hussain Sagar LakeSituated at the confluence of Hyderabad
Salar Jung MuseumPlaced at Darushifa on the south banks of the river Musi
Nehru Zoological Park 23 kilometers from Secunderabad
Ramoji Film City18 km from Secunderabad on the Hyderabad- Vijayawada Highway
Trimulgherry Fort Situated in the cantonment area
Victorian PrisonLocated in Secunderabad

Rashtrapati Nilayam

Location: At Bollarum
The term ‘Rashtrapati Nilayam’ literally means ‘the President’s House’. Initially named as ‘Residency House’, Rashtrapati Nilayam serves as the official guest house of the President of India. Located at Bollarum of Secunderabad, the Residency House was originally constructed in the year 1860 AD as the country house of the British Resident at Secunderabad. After the Independence of India when ‘Operation Polo’ was undertaken and Hyderabad was annexed to the Indian Union in 1948, the Residency House was converted to the Rashtrapati Nilayam and used as the ‘Southern Sojourn’ of the President. The Rashtrapati Nilayam covering an extensive area of about 90 acres is a single storied 16-room estate. Different parts of the building comprise of a Durbar Hall, a Morning Room, a Dining Hall, a Cinema Hall, and Visitors’ Quarters etc. The Honorable President of India visits the Rashtrapati Nilayam at least once in a year for official business. This building also serves as a guest house for the dignitaries of the Government of India. The Rashtrapati Nilayam also encompasses an herbal garden which was set up by CPWD and the AP State Medicinal Plants Board in the year 2009. This garden spread over 7,000 sq meters houses about 116 species of medicinal and fragrant plants including Tulsi, Sarpagandha, Citronella, Khus, Lemon Grass, Sandalwood, Kalabandha, Coriander, Geranium, Kalmegh, Jasmine, Tuber Rose, etc. Rashtrapati Nilayam was thrown open for public visiting from 1st Jan 2010 to 10th Jan 2010. There was no entry fee charged.

Sangeet Cinema

Location: On the Sarojini Devi Road (S. D. Road) opposite a petrol pump in Rani Gunj
Sangeet Cinema, located on the Sarojini Devi Road (S. D. Road) opposite a petrol pump in Rani Gunj of Secunderabad is an ancient Cinema Hall of the Secunderabad Cantonment where only English Films were screened during the British Raj. This 70 MM theatre, an age old entertainment hub and presently a favorite destination for Hollywood and Bollywood blockbusters was constructed in the year 1969 mainly for the recreation of British living in India and Indians influenced by British Culture. The very first film screened at the Sangeet Cinema was Hollywood’s ‘Camelot’, the movie based on the story of King Arthur. Jurassic Park, Titanic, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Lagaan, etc were some of the films that made a lot of money at the Sangeet Cinema of Secunderabad. Sangeet Cinema was the first and foremost a theatre to install an Ultra Stereo Optical Sound in the year 1994, a Digital Theatre System in 1995 and later on the Xenon Lamp Projection with Platter System. Presently the management of Sangeet Cinema has decided to pull down the aged cinema hall and build a complex with four screens, malls and eating joints.

Ujjaini Mahankali Mata Temple

Location: At General Bazaar in the Kalasiguda
Sri Ujjaini Mahankali Mata Temple located at General Bazaar in the Kalasiguda area of Secunderabad is one of the oldest and the most venerated places of worship of the city. This Hindu temple dedicated to the Goddess Mahankali is thronged by thousands of devotees who come here to pay homage at the feet of the wish fulfilling Goddess. This temple of Ujjaini Mahankali Mata was established by Suriti Appaiah; a ‘Doli Bearer’ of a Military Battalion of Secunderabad Cantonment who was sent to Ujjaini in the year 1813. He regularly visited the temple of Goddess Mahankali in Ujjaini and after his return constructed a temple dedicated to the Goddess in Secunderabad as a sign of gratitude. Goddess Mahankali had fulfilled the wish of Suriti Appaiah and cured cholera. So he enshrined a wooden idol of the Devi in the year 1815. Afterwards in the year 1864 an idol of the Goddess named Manikyalamma was discovered at the very place. Appaiah then replaced the original wooden idol and enshrined two idols of Goddess Manikyalamma and Goddess Ujjaini Mahankali. This temple of Ujjaini Mahankali Mata receives a large number of devotees alighted here from the Telangana Region as well as different state of the country at the auspicious occasions of Kolupu Potharaju Bali, Bonalu Ghatotsavam, Rangam and Saganamputa.

Sree Ayyappa Devasthanam

Location: At Lal Bazar along the Ammuguda Road of Trimulgherry
Sree Ayyappa Devasthanam located at Lal Bazar along the Ammuguda Road of Trimulgherry and established in the year 1994 is a Hindu shrine built in the honor of Lord Ayyappa, an incarnation of Dharma Sasta, the offspring of Siva and Vishnu. Also worshipped as Manikandan, Lord Ayyappa holds the title of Hariharasuthan. He protects good against evil and saves his devotees from wicked effects of Kaliyuga, which bestows yet another title upon him Kaliyugavaradhan. Apart from Sree Ayyappa Temple, this Devasthanam also houses other two shrines dedicated to Vigneswaran Mooshikavaahanan Shree Maha Ganapathi and Pazhanimalavaasan Velayudhan Shree Subramaniaswamy. The first Pooja of the temple called ‘Nirmalyadarshanam’ is offered at 5:30 in the morning and the temple closes at 8:50 pm with the last Pooja of the day named ‘Prasadavitharana’.

Sri Ganesh Temple

Location: At Gopalpuram near the Secunderabad Railway Station
Sri Ganesh Temple located at Gopalpuram near the Secunderabad Railway Station and roughly 2 kilometers away from the R.T.C. Bus Stand is a highly revered shrine of Secunderabad dedicated to Lord Ganesha. The idol of the presiding deity of the temple was found by the Madras Regiment Sepoys in the year 1824 while they were digging a well. These Sepoys later built a beautiful temple following the guidelines given in the Agama Shastra and got the idol installed in the sanctum by the hands of His Holiness Shankaracharya of Kanchi. This Ganesha Temple of Secunderabad particularly exalted for its architectural splendor and brilliance is now acknowledged as one of the gargantuan temples of Secunderabad and Hyderabad. Apart from the Lord Ganesha Shrine, this temple also worships other deities including Sri Navagraha, Sri Subrahmanya Swamy and Sri Anjaneya Swamy. These shrines were installed here in the year 1932. The divine and spiritually sanctified temple of Lord Ganesha attracts the devotees to come and feel the heavenly tranquility and purity amongst the hustle bustle of daily life. Major festivals celebrated at this temple are: Ganesh Chaturthi, Hanuman Jayanthi, Ramnavami, Mahashivaratri, etc.

St. John the Baptist Church

Location: Just meters from the Jordan River
St. John the Baptist Church, popularly known as St. John’s Church is the oldest Church of Secunderabad. Consecrated in the year 1813, this Christian place of worship was originally established with an aim of providing for the spiritual needs of the British Military Officers, soldiers, Non-commissioned Officers and other British civilians residing at Lancer’s Line in the Secunderabad Cantonment. The cardinal Chaplain of this Church was Rev. J. Brachenbury. Constructed in cruciform shape in Tuscan order, the simplified edition of the Doric order, the Rangoon Teak wooden ceiling of this church are held up by elegantly designed columns. This church dedicated to St. John and administered by the Diocese of Medak today serves as a large cosmopolitan congregation of Anglicans of Secunderabad. Rev. B.J. Moses Shanthi Kumar is the present clergy of St. John the Baptist Church.

St. Mary's Church

Location: Close to the St. Ann's Convent
St. Mary’s Church located close to the St. Ann's Convent is the oldest Roman Catholic church of Secunderabad. Earlier furnishing as the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Hyderabad, this church is dedicated to the blessed Mother Mary of Christianity. Fr. Daniel Murphy who came to India in 1839 AD worked amongst the Irish Catholics in the British Army. He commenced the construction of St. Mary’s Church in 1840 and it reached its completion in 1850 AD. At first, this largest church in the state of Hyderabad, blessed by Fr. Daniel Murphy himself, enjoyed the status of a cathedral but later on in the year 1886 the cathedral seat was shifted to Hyderabad from Secunderabad. The curved arches and pointed walls of this church reveal the specimen of Indian Gothic style of architecture. Presently, St. Mary’s Church is administered by Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Hyderabad and Rev. Solomon Thumma serves as the clergy here.

All Saints’ Church

Location: At Trimulgherry
‘All Saints’ Church’ located at Trimulgherry is a church functioning under the administration of Diocese of Medak, under the Church of South India. Constructed in the year 1860 for the British Cantonment of Secunderabad, this was the very first permanent edifice ever built in the Trimulgherry Entrenchment. Presided by Army Chaplains, All Saints’ Church was originally a Garrison Church but eventually in the year 1947 it was submitted to the Church of South India. Currently this church serves the Tamil Anglican congregation of Secunderabad. The multiple turrets and the tower belfry of this church present an imposing gothic architecture. The altar of the church is embellished with a beautiful stained glass window that depicts the episode of Jesus carrying the cross. This piece of art dated back to 1884 is dedicated to the Lieutenant of Royal Artillery: Edward Dawson. The walls of the church bear 16 memorial tablets illustrating the British officers who lived and died at Secunderabad. Some of the invaluable possessions of the All Saints’ Church include antique pews and lamps with a baptismal font. Queen Elizabeth II paid a visit to ‘All Saints’ Church’ in the year 1983. The church was given the ‘INTACH Heritage Award’ by the Government of Andhra Pradesh for its good maintenance.

Holy Trinity Church

Location: At Bolarum
Holy Trinity Church located at Bolarum in Secunderabad is administered by the Diocese of Medak and it falls under the jurisdiction of Church of South India. Personally established by the Queen Victoria in the year 1847 on the land gifted by the Nizam of Hyderabad, Holy Trinity Church was formerly an Anglican church especially built for British army officers and other Christian families dwelling in India. Constructed in the Victorian Gothic style of architecture, this church is medium in size. The windows of the church are stained glass casements that resemble the windows of country churches in England. The original altar, stained glass, pulpit, pews, bell etc are still preserved in the church. The walls of the church bear certain Tablets that commemorate the demises of various British army officers and their family members. The cemetery that lies next to the Holy Trinity Church houses a number of graves dating back to 1851 AD. A noteworthy event in the history of Holy Trinity Church of Secunderabad is that, Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 36th wedding anniversary with Prince Philip here and the service was led by Bishop Victor Premasagar. Presently Reverend T Danny Subodh serves as the clergyman at the Holy Trinity Church.

Spanish Mosque

Location: At Begumpet
Spanish Mosque, also known by the name ‘Masjid Iqbal Ud Daula’ is a Muslim place of worship located at Begumpet. Constructed in the year 1906 by Nawab Sir Iqbal Ud Daula; the Paigah Nawab after his return from Spain, the architecture of this mosque is fashioned after the Cathedral–Mosque of Córdoba of Spain. Moreover, the structural order of this mosque also resembles the Jama Masjid Gulbarga of Karnataka. Owing to its Hispanic (Moorish) style of architecture, this Masjid, only one of its kinds in India receives yet another appellation ‘Mosque of the Moors’. Instead of building the typical minarets or domes, this mosque bears pointing spires that bestow upon it a church like demeanor. The piercing main roof of the mosque is made of two abridged octagonal pyramids positioned one above the other interceded by octagonal shaped domes and the minarets are placed at the corners of the parapet. The interior walls of the mosque are engraved with the calligraphy of the verses from the Quran. The Spanish Mosque is built in a main prayer hall, a central corridor, two rooms in front of the hall and the entrance porch bearing an octagonal dome. The Spanish Mosque of Secunderabad has the capacity to accommodate about 3000 people at a time. This landmark of Islam in Secunderabad is listed as a Grade II A structure for conservation and also declared a heritage site by ASI. Presently UNESCO is considering counting it for the Asia Pacific Merit.

Sayedani Maa Tomb

Location: In the northern end of the Tank Bund of Secunderabad
Sayedani Maa Tomb, popularly known as Maa Saheba Ke Dargah and Saidani Maa Ki Dargah is located in the northern end of the Tank Bund of Secunderabad. Constructed in the year 1883 by the son of Sayedani Maa Nawab Abdul Haq Diler Jung, Sayedani Maa Tomb is a tribute to her memory and her life values. Nawab Abdul Haq Diler Jung was an officer in the court of the Nizam Mahbub Ali Khan, Asaf Jah VI. Sayedani Maa, a lady belonging to a royal family, strictly followed the custom of Purdah from the age of 10. She even insisted to be buried much underneath the surface and asked that only women should be allowed to pay their homage to her. The tomb is built in lovely lattice work carved in pure marble and exhibiting the fine amalgamation of Qutb Shahi and Mughal styles of building. The dome of the mausoleum is built in the onion shape and the interiors and exteriors of the tomb are ornamented with stucco works and fine arches. The upper pavilion of the tomb is decorated with ornately carved minarets erected in a unique combination of lime and mortar and bearing beautiful marble inlay work. Inside the Sayedani Maa Tomb there is an underground compartment where only women are allowed to enter. Today the Archeological Society of India has taken over the charge of preserving the Sayedani Maa Tomb.


Location: On the eastern banks of the river Musi just 20 kilometers from the heart of the city
Charminar, the global icon and the very façade of the city Hyderabad is located on the eastern banks of the river Musi just 20 kilometers from the heart of the city Secunderabad. Constructed by the fifth ruler of the Qutb Shahi Dynasty Sultan Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah in the year 1591 AD, Charminar commemorates the eradication of plague from Hyderabad. The term Charminar means ‘four minarets’. This magnificent square edifice is 20 meters long in each side and bears four grand arches facing the four directions. At each corner is erected an elegantly formed minaret, 56 meter high with a twofold balcony. Each of the minarets is coroneted by a spherical dome with exquisite petal like designs at the bottom. A spectacular mosque is nestled at the western end of the open roof of Charminar while the residual part of the roof served as the court for the duration of the Qutb Shahi Era. There are 45 prayer spaces and citizens horde this mosque for the Friday prayers. 149 winding steps are built that lead us to the upper floor. Constructed in the autographic style of Islamic architecture, Charminar particularly offers an eye dazzling sight in the evening when it is completely illuminated with gleaming lights.

Golconda Fort

Location: Approximately 25 km from the main city of Secunderabad
The Golconda Fort located approximately 25 km from the main city of Secunderabad was once regarded an impregnable and impenetrable specimen of architecture. Perched about 1000 feet above the surrounding area the Golconda Fort proudly straddles along a hilly side. The fort derives its name from two words of Telegu language ‘Golla’ and ‘Konda’ which mean ‘the shepherd’s hill’. Topping to its colossal structure what adds further grandeur to the fort is its impressive history. Incipiently, the Golconda Fort was a mud fort which was established in 1143 AD by the Kakatiya kings of Warangal. Later, the first three generations of the Qutub Shah Dynasty who held the reigns of Hyderabad from 1518 to 1687 revamped it over the period of 62 years. The potency and austerity of the Golconda Fort can be evaluated from the fact that the mighty Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb had to strive for eight long years to take siege over it. The magnificence of this monument can be perceived when viewed from the top of the stronghold. The Fort accommodates several other structures inside the premises, such as palaces, courtyards, public and private meeting halls, storages, armory, a mosque, a temple and fountains. Some other impressive attributes of the Fort are its acoustics and its ingenious water supply system. Presently a Light and Sound show is organized here every evening which beckons myriads of tourists and historians everyday.

Falaknuma Palace

Location: 5 kilometers from Charminar and about 25 kilometers from Secunderabad on the National Highway no 9
Falaknuma Palace, located 5 kilometers from Charminar and about 25 kilometers from Secunderabad on the National Highway no 9 is one of the most excellent palaces of Hyderabad. Spread over an all-embracing area of nearly 32 acres, this regal residence was constructed by Nawab Vikar-ul-Umra Bahadur; the then Prime Minister of Paigah (Hyderabad) State. The Urdu term ‘Falaknuma’ means ‘Like the Sky’ or the ‘Mirror of the Sky’. Designed by an English Architect, the foundation stone of this palace was laid down on 3rd March 1884 and it took 9 years to complete the construction. The Falaknuma Palace is entirely built in Italian marble in the shape of a scorpion with two stings extended as wings in the north. The various sections of the palace include; the Main Building, Gol Bangla, Zenana Mehal, Harem Quarters, State Reception Room, Ballroom, Kitchen, etc. Representing a rare combination of Italian and Tudor orders of architecture, the Falaknuma Palace has around 220 lavishly ornamented rooms and 22 spacious halls. The palace houses some of the premium treasure collections of the Nizam including furniture, statues, paintings, books and manuscripts. The Falaknuma Palace is widely reckoned for its unique Jade collection. Presently, the Falaknuma Palace has been converted to a seven star Heritage Hotel under the administration of Taj Hotels Group. Acknowledged as the grandest of all palace hotels in India this is the only seven star hotel of the country.

Hussain Sagar Lake

Location: At the confluence of Hyderabad
Hussain Sagar Lake built by Hazrat Hussain Shah Wali in the year 1562 during the governance of Ibrahim Quli Qutb Shah is the artificial water reservoir that separates Hyderabad from Secunderabad. Covering the total area of about 24 square kilometers, this lake was constructed on the tributary of Musi River to accomplish the water and irrigation requirements of the city. Hussain Sagar Lake is particularly recognized for the gigantic monolithic statue of the Gautam Buddha erected in the center of the lake in the year 1992. The surrounding locale of the Hussain Sagar Lake is affluent with a number of gardens and several scenic spots and tourist landmarks. They include Lumbini Park, Sayedani Maa Tomb, Hyderabad Boat Club, Patton Tank, Andhra Pradesh Secretariat buildings, Prasads IMAX, Birla Mandir, etc. On the occasion of Ananta Chaturdashi, the last day of the annual festival of Lord Ganesha, the idols of the deity are immersed in the Hussain Sagar Lake. The Necklace Road that encompasses the lake has multiple recreational facilities, eating joints and beautifully landscaped gardens such as Sanjeevaiah Park and Jalavihar. The Hussain Sagar Lake is a favorite evening hangout point both for the locals as well as the tourists. They also enjoy boating in the lake.

Salar Jung Museum

Location: At Darushifa on the south banks of the river Musi
Salar Jung Museum placed at Darushifa on the south banks of the river Musi is one of the three National Museums of India and the third largest museum of the country that houses the biggest one-man collection of antiques in the world. Nawab Mir Yousuf Ali Khan Salar Jung III, the then Prime Minister of the seventh Nizam of Hyderabad spent over 35 years as well as the substantial amount of his income to generate this priceless collection of antiques belonging to different civilizations of the world, some of them even dating back to the 1st century AD. His collection earlier exhibited in Diwan Deodi (the ancestral palace of Salar Jung III) as a private museum was inaugurated by the hands of Jawaharlal Nehru in the year 1951. Years later in 1968 the museum was shifted to its present location. The noteworthy exhibits of this museum displayed in its 38 galleries include the paintings of Raja Ravi Varma, the Sword of Aurangzeb, Jade crafted daggers of Jahangir, Noorjahan and Shah Jehan, a wardrobe and a chair of Tipu Sultan, a Tiffin Box made of gold and diamond, furniture collection from the time of Louis and Napolean, The Quran Written with Gold and Silver, Arabic Quran, the world famous statue of Veiled Rebecca by G.B. Benzoni, silk weavings, layer wood cutting paintings, clocks and so on.

Nehru Zoological Park

Location: 23 kilometers from Secunderabad
Commonly known as Hyderabad Zoo, Nehru Zoological Park; one of the three most visited destinations in Hyderabad is located adjacent Mir Alam Tank approximately 23 kilometers from Secunderabad. Covering the total area of over 380 acres, this park was established on 26th October 1959 and opened to public on 6th October 1963. Administered by the Forest department of Government of Andhra Pradesh, this zoo is a protected domicile of over 1100 birds and animals. The zoo houses roughly 100 species of animals, birds and reptiles. The animals dwelling in Hyderabad Zoo include Asiatic Lion, Tiger, Indian Rhino, Panther, Orangutan, Gaur, Crocodile, Antelopes, Deer, Kangaroos, Python, etc and the nocturnal birds sighted here include Leopard Cats, Fruit Bats, Slow Loris, Slender Loris, Civets, Mottled Wood Owls, Barn Owls, Fishing Owls, Great Horned Owls, Hedgehogs, etc. Apart from that, the zoo is also very famous for the migratory birds sighted here. Nehru Zoological Park arranges Tiger Safari, Lion Safari, Bear Safari, and Butterfly Safari and other attractions of the zoo include elephant rides, a natural history museum, and a children's train.

Ramoji Film City

Location: 18 km from Secunderabad on the Hyderabad- Vijayawada Highway
The Ramoji Film city is positioned at Hayathnagar which is about 18 km from Secunderabad on the Hyderabad- Vijayawada Highway. Spread over a sprawling area of 2000 acres, this is the biggest and the foremost professionally planned film production center of the world. It is said that it provides even better facilities to the film makers than the best studios of Hollywood. It was built following a conception of a ‘one stop shop for the film-makers’. You will definitely be transported to a virtual dreamland if you embark on any of the tours that this production site offers. All the tours commence from a point inside the city called ‘Eureka’. Eureka, an architectural marvel appeals immensely amidst this glamour land. It also provides the tourists with the facilities of scrumptious food and a vigorous session of shopping.

Trimulgherry Fort

Location: In the cantonment area
Trimulgherry or Tirumalagiri is one of the major suburbs of Secunderabad. Trimulgherry Fort an epitome of the architectural grandeur of the yesteryears is one of the major tourist destinations of Secunderabad that beckons scores of tourists every year. Constructed in the year 1867 in the Secunderabad Cantonment Area, this fort contains barracks, garrisons, armory, stables, mess houses, mews and several military offices. The Trimulgherry Fort is enclosed by a deep trench which is approximately 4.82 kilometers long. Today this fort has been converted to a Military Hospital.

Victorian Prison

Location: In Secunderabad
Victorian Prison located in Secunderabad is confinement quarters used as a Jail to imprison the criminals during the British Rule in India. This gloomy and ominous Military Prison constructed during the Victorian times in the cantonment of Secunderabad is so grim and murky that it was a nightmarish state to be in for the prisoners.