|Patan Devi Mandir||Located in the Sadikpur area of the city|
|Sher Shah Suri Masjid||To be found in the south-west corner of the Purab Darwaza near Dhawalpura|
|Pathar Ki Masjid||Positioned right on the banks of the river Ganga in the close proximity with the Takht Shri Harmandir Saheb|
|Takht Sri Patna Sahib / Har Mandir Takht|
|Mahavir Mandir||Sited to the north of the Patna Junction close to the Veena Cinema Hall|
|Padri Ki Haveli||Located at Phulwari Sharif just 1.3 kilometers away from the Phulwari Sharif Railway Station|
|Kumhrar||Situated at the distance of about 5 kilometers to the east of the Patna Railway Station|
|Agam Kuan||To be found along the Agam Kuan Khumrar Road approximately 6.4 kilometers to the east of the Patna Junction|
|Golghar||Placed to the west of the Gandhi Maidan of Patna|
|Gandhi Maidan||Located in the Muradpur area of the city along the Ashok Rajpath|
|Kargil Chowk||Situated close to the Gandhi Maidan of Patna|
|Saheed Smarak||Placed outside the Secretariat Building|
|Khuda Baksh Oriental Library||Located along the Ashok Rajpath close to the National Institute of Finance and Accounts|
|Buddha Memorial Park (Buddha Smriti Udyaan)||Located in the heart of the city in the close propinquity with the Patna Railway Station|
|Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan||Located along the Bailey Road of Patna|
|Sri Krishna Science Centre||Located to the southwest of the Gandhi Maidan along the T N Banerjee Road|
|Patna Planetarium||Located within the Indira Gandhi Science Complex of Patna along the Bailey Road|
|Mahatma Gandhi Setu||Built across the River Ganga between Patna and Hajipur|
|Patna Museum||Located along the Vidyapati Marg just 2 kilometers away from the Patna Junction|
|Rajendra Smriti Sangrahalaya||Located within the premises of the Bihar Vidyapeeth|
|Old Opium Warehouse||Situated on the banks of the river Ganga in the Gulzarbagh area of the Patna City|
|Vaishali||Located about 34 kilometers away from Patna|
|Bodhgaya||Located at the distance of about 109 kilometers from Patna|
Patan Devi Mandir
The Patan Devi Mandir located in the Sadikpur area of the city is an ancient Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Patan, the presiding deity of Patna who is also worshipped here by the sobriquet ‘Maa Patneshwari’. It is commonly supposed that the conurbation derives its epithet ‘Patna’ from the name of Goddess Patneshwari; a manifestation of the Goddess Durga. Regarded to be one of the 51 Siddha Shakti Pithas scattered across India, Patan Devi Temple is believed to be the place where the right thigh of Sati had fallen subsequent to the legendary Daksha Yagna. Two holy shrines dedicated to Goddess Patan Devi i.e. Bari Patan Devi and Chhoti Patan Devi are sited in Patna. The Bari Patan Devi Temple placed facing towards north enshrines the idols of Maha Kali, Maha Lakshmi, Maha Saraswati and Bhairav, all of them designed out of black stone. Seated upon the regal thrones, these Goddesses are dressed in dazzling saris. The Bari Patan Devi Temple can be visited between 6:00 am to 10:00 pm and all the devotees irrespective of their casts creeds and religions are admitted inside the shrine. The Chhoti Patan Devi Temple, situated 3.5 kilometers away from the Bari Patan Devi Temple, was consecrated by Raja Man Singh of Amber where Goddess Patan Devi along with numerous Brahmanical figurines viz. Lord Vishnu, Lord Ganesh and Lord Surya is enshrined. Navaratri and Dussehra are the chief festivals of the Patan Devi Temple when thousands of devotees alight here to participate in the Durga Puja ceremony, particularly on the Saptami, Ashtami and Navami days. The Patan Devi Temple is easily accessible by bus, rickshaws and taxis.
Sher Shah Suri Masjid
The Sher Shah Suri Masjid of Patna to be found in the south-west corner of the Purab Darwaza near Dhawalpura is a mosque that was erected under the patronage of Emperor Sher Shah Suri; the founder of the Muslim Sur Empire. The construction work commenced in the year 1540 AD which reached completion in 1545 AD. Also reckoned by its moniker ‘Shershahi Mosque’ this medieval Masjid fabricated in stone and built in a five domed structure is an epitome of the Afghan Architectural Style. Aggrandized amongst the most remarkable historical edifices of Patna, this signature of Sher Shah Suri’s dominance over the Magadh Region is today distinguished as a favorite tourist landmark as well as a greatly sought after religious destination of the city. A sepulcher is placed inside the Sher Shah Suri Masjid Complex which is enclosed by an octagonal shaped stone slab. The imposing central dome of the Masjid encircled by four lesser domes embellishes the roof of the structure and creates a truly magnificent façade. A peculiar feature of this alignment is that, from whichever angle you behold, you will see only three domes at a time.
Pathar Ki Masjid
As the name clearly indicates, the ‘Pathar Ki Masjid’ is a medieval Islamic mosque that is completely structured out of ‘Pathar’ i.e. stone. Positioned right on the banks of the river Ganga in the close proximity with the Takht Shri Harmandir Saheb, the Pathar Ki Masjid also known by its nickname ‘Saif Khan’s Mosque’ was established under the sponsorship and guardianship of Parvez Shah; the son of the great Mughal Emperor Jahangir. Parvez Shah the elder brother of the Emperor Shah Jahan was the cardinal Mughal prince to select Bihar as his residence. He patronized the Pathar Ki Masjid in early 17th century during his tenure as the Governor of Magadh and the construction of the Masjid was completed in the year 1621. Highly venerated amongst the local Islamic community and equally popular amidst the tourists and vacationers, the Pathar Ki Masjid, one of the leading signposts of the city is exceptionally hailed for its immense religious as well as historical and cultural magnitude. Contrived in the Indo Islamic order of structural design, the Pathar Ki Masjid of Patna is also recognized by various other appellations such as, ‘Sangi Masjid’ and ‘Chimmi Ghat Mosque’ amongst the locals.
Takht Sri Patna Sahib / Har Mandir Takht
Takht Sri Patna Sahib, also known as the ‘Har Mandir Takht’ is one of the Five Takhts of Sikhism erected to commemorate the birth place of Guru Gobind Singh Ji; the 10th Guru of Sikhism who was born to the 9th Guru of Sikhism; Guru Tegh Bahadur and Mata Gujri Ji at Patna on 22nd December 1666. Originally established by Maharaja Ranjit Singh in late 18th century AD, the Takht Sri Patna Sahib Gurudwara was revamped twice, the present day structure dating back to 19th November, 1954. Guru Gobind Singh Ji spent his childhood at Patna before shifting to Anandpur. Additionally, Patna is also sanctified by the presence of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Nanak. Ornately framed in scintillating white marble and festooned with elaborate engravings and ostentatious motifs, the Har Mandir Takht of Patna extremely treasured by the Sikh Community is also intensely cherished for its adroit architecture and its tourism appeal.
The Gurudwara houses a museum where several rare historical and religious vestiges and remnants mainly associated with Guru Gobind Singh Ji are preserved and displayed. Some of the most noteworthy exhibits of this museum include the Guru Granth Sahib signed by Guru Gobind Singh, oil painting (Chhabi Sahib) of young Guru, his cradle, the small sword (Saif), four iron arrows, an earthen round goli, a small iron Chakri, Khanda, tiny iron Baghnakh Khanjer, a wooden comb, two Chaker, one pair of sandals made from elephant teeth used by Guru Gobind Singh as a child, another pair of sandals made from sandalwood worn by Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib, three wooden spinners of Kabir Sahib, a book containing the Hukumnamas of Guru Tegh Bahadur and Guru Gobind Singh, their writings, pictures etc. The Takht Sri Patna Sahib is indeed one of the must visit destinations of Patna.
The Mahavir Mandir of Patna sited to the north of the Patna Junction close to the Veena Cinema Hall is a sacred Hindu shrine dedicated to the ardent devotee of Lord Rama i.e. Lord Hanuman. Believed to be consecrated by the hands of Swami Balanand of Ramanandi Sect in 1730 AD, this Hanuman Temple conferred upon the laurel; ‘Manokamana Temple’ meaning the wish fulfilling temple is visited by over a million devotees every year. Regarded as one of the most sacrosanct Hindu shrines of the region, the Mahavir Mandir of Patna is honored to be the second most visited religious destination of Northern India after the Vaishno Devi temple of Katra. Thousands of pilgrims and devotees throng the Mahavir temple on Tuesdays and Saturdays and the temple is cram packed with people particularly on the auspicious occasions of Rama Navami and Hanuman Jayanti.
The sanctum of the Mahavir Temple enshrines two idols of Lord Hanuman; one for the protection of the virtuous people and the other for the destruction of evil. The present day swaggering structure of the temple was constructed between 1983 and 85. The temple complex houses the idols of the Shiva Family, Lord Rama, Goddess Sita, Krishna Arjun, Satyanaran Bhagwan and Lord Buddha apart from the idols of Lord Sankat Mochan Hanuman and Devi Jagaddhatri. The Mahavir Temple of Patna happens to be the only temple of India where the donation made to the temple priest for performing ritualistic ceremonies also goes to the temple’s trust which is solely used for the aiding and uplifting the poor and needy.
Padri Ki Haveli
The Padri Ki Haveli of Patna located at Phulwari Sharif just 1.3 kilometers away from the Phulwari Sharif Railway Station is an ancient Roman Catholic Cathedral which happens to be the oldest Christian place of worship ever built in the state of Bihar. Also known as the ‘Mansion of Padre’ and ‘St. Mary’s Church’, the Padri Ki Haveli originally established in 1713 AD and plundered by Nawab Mir Qasim in 1763 underwent a grand scale renovation in the year 1772. The contemporary silhouette of the St. Mary’s Church was sketched out by an eminent Venetian architect named Tirreto from Kolkata. Designed in the American Colonial Architectural Order, this Cathedral was refurbished at the total expense of 700 rupees in 1772 AD. However, the church suffered many damages during the First War of Independence of 1857 AD. Presently, the Padri Ki Haveli edifice; an architectural marvel characterized with rococo designs is deemed amongst the most prominent milestones of the Patna City and an important stopover in the itinerary of a tourist on the trip to Patna. The large cathedral bell of the Padri Ki Haveli is the most beguiling attraction of the monument. And what’s more, it was here that Mother Teresa received her training in nursing.
Kumhrar (also spelt as Kumrahar) situated at the distance of about 5 kilometers to the east of the Patna Railway Station along the Kankarbagh Road is the archaeological site from where the remains of the erstwhile Pataliputra Empire have been excavated. Ranging between 600 BCE to 600 AD in its timeline, Kumhrar comprises the archaeological residues of the historical Mauryan Empire when Patna (Pataliputra) flourished as the capital city of the Mauryan Emperors Ajatshatru, Chandragupta and Ashoka. Some of the most remarkable relics unearthed from here include an 80 pillared assembly hall, Anand Bihar, Arogya Vihar, Durakhi Devi Temple and many others. The 80 pillared assembly hall excavated by the collective efforts of D B Spooner and K P Jaiswal is assumed to be the chamber where the Third Buddhist Council was held during the ascendancy of Samrat Ashoka. Anand Bihar is the remains of a Buddhist Monastery while Arogya Vihar is believed to be an ancient Ayurveda based hospital. The Durakhi Devi Temple excavated by Wadell in 1890s comprises the relics of a Stupa which is adorned with the sculptures of the Shalabhanjikas.
The Agam Kuan to be found along the Agam Kuan Khumrar Road approximately 6.4 kilometers to the east of the Patna Junction is a primeval well which is estimated to be dating back to the tenure of the legendary Mauryan Emperor; Samrat Ashoka. As suggested by its title itself, the Agam Kuan is a well that is so deep as to be called ‘unfathomable’ (Agam). Measuring about 105 feet it its depth and having the 20 feet and 2 inches long diameter, the circular Agam Kuan is built in bricks for 44 feet from the top and encased by a series of wooden rings from then on. The red veneer of the Agam Kuan enclosing the well inside is beautifully structured featuring eight arched windows. A temple dedicated to a Hindu Goddess Shitala Devi is sited right next to the Agam Kuan which enshrines the pindas of the seven Mother Goddesses worshipped as ‘Saptamatrikas’. As the legend goes, Agam Kuan is the very same well where Ashoka threw his 99 elder brothers after killing them so as to win the empire. Another lore suggests that a Jain monk named Sudarshana when heaved into this well by King Chand emerged floating to the surface seated upon a lotus. The Agam Kuan was discovered by a British explorer Laurence Waddell in 1890s. Presently, the vicinity has grown famous as the site of Hindu religious rituals including weddings.
Golghar, which literally means the ‘round house’ is an old granary that was built in the year 1786 AD by an engineer with the British East India Co. named Captain John Garstin. Placed to the west of the Gandhi Maidan of Patna, this queer edifice built in the Stupa style of architecture measures 29 meters in its height and nearly 125 meters in its diameter. Subsequent to the fatal famine of 1770 when almost 10 million people from Bihar, Bengal and present day Bangladesh lost their lives, Warren Hastings; the then Governor General of India commissioned the construction of a bee hive shaped granary wherein grains could be saved for the British Army. Both designed and engineered by Captain John Garstin, the Golghar possesses the capacity of storing 140000 tons of grains.
The globular structure of the Golghar doesn’t have any pillars. A spiral flight of 300 steps was built around the granary in such a way that the collies could ascend the building from one side, deliver the grain bags inside the Golghar through a hole placed at the top and descend from the other side. From the top of the structure a mesmerizing panorama of the Patna city and the impressive vista of the meandering Ganga River can be perceived. It is to be noted that when built, Golghar happened to be the tallest building of the Patna City. Moreover, Golghar was never filled to the maximum of its capacity as the doors of this dome opened inside. This historical wonder of Patna was recently renovated under the directorship of a celebrated engineer Mr. Nishant Kumar.
The Gandhi Maidan located in the Muradpur area of the city along the Ashok Rajpath is a historical ground of Patna that has been a witness to several important events engraved in the pages of the Indian History. Earlier reckoned by the epithet the ‘Patna Lawns’ and later rechristened after Mahatma Gandhi; the Father of the Nation, the Gandhi Maidan is the very base from where a number of worth mentioning movements were launched during the Independence Struggle of India. The Champaran Movement which revolted against the forced cultivation of Indigo, and the Quit India Movement of 1942 are the foremost amongst them. Many top leaders of the Indian freedom struggle viz. Mahatma Gandhi, Rajendra Prasad, Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel, Pundit Jawaharlal Nehru, Abul Kalam Azad, Jay Prakash Narayan and many others addressed the public meetings from the Gandhi Maidan. Not only that, even the Indira Gandhi Opposition Movement during the Emergency Period was launched from here itself. Every year on 15th August and 26th January the flag hoisting ceremony is held at the Gandhi Maidan of Patna.
The Kargil Chowk situated close to the Gandhi Maidan of Patna is a war memorial established in the year 2000 in the revered memory of the soldiers from Bihar and Jharkhand who laid their lives fighting for the Mother Land in the Kargil War of 1999 AD. The Kargil War was fought from May to July 1999 between India and Pakistan as a result of the invasion of the Pakistani soldiers and the Kashmiri militants inside the Indian LOC. The war was concluded in the favor of India when Pakistan retreated and India regained the possession of Kargil and surrounding regions along the LOC. The Kargil Chowk is a small structure canopied by a spherical dome which stands supported by four upright pillars. The names of the Kargil War martyrs have been engraved upon the Kargil Chowk Memorial of Patna.
The ‘Saheed Smarak’ or the ‘Martyr’s Memorial’ of Patna placed outside the Secretariat Building is a life size sculpture of seven brave students who sacrificed their lives during the Quit India Movement of August 1942 while trying to hoist the Indian National Flag atop the present day Secretariat Building. The memorial portrays the seven teenagers marching with a flag in their hands. The foundation stone of the Saheed Smarak was laid on the day of India’s Independence itself i.e. 15th August 1947 by the hands of Mr. Jairam Das Daulatram; the then Governor of Bihar. This bronze statue was built by an eminent sculptor named Deviprasad Roychoudhry and it was cast in Italy. The names of the seven martyrs are engraved upon the Saheed Smarak. They are; Umakant Prasad Sinha, Ramanand Singh, Satish Prasad Jha, Jagatpati Kumar, Devipada Choudhry, Rajendra Singh and Ramgovind Singh. All of them range from Class IX to 2nd year of college in their age.
Khuda Baksh Oriental Library
The Khuda Baksh Oriental Library of Patna located along the Ashok Rajpath close to the National Institute of Finance and Accounts is a National Library of India that was established by Khan Bahadur Khuda Bakhsh and was opened to the public on 5th October 1891. Holding around 4000 manuscripts at the time of its inauguration, out of which around 1400 were inherited by Khuda Bakhsh from his father - Maulvi Mohammed Bakhsh, this unique repository today houses nearly 2.5 lakh printed books and about 21000 Oriental manuscripts. Reckoned for its exclusive anthology of Arabic and Persian manuscripts, this library also owns archaic journals, magazines, newspapers, stamps, maps, drawings, prints, sound and music recordings, databases, patents and the paintings made during the Rajput and Mughal eras.
Some of the most worth mentioning manuscripts and other treasure of the Khuda Baksh Oriental Library include the Timur Nama (Khandan--Timuria), Padshah Nama, Shah Nama, Diwan-e-Hafiz, Safinatul Auliya, etc bearing the autographs of various Mughal Emperors and princes, the book holding the military records of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, unique specimens of calligraphy and book decorations, a page of Quran written on deer skin, and so on. Deemed by the Parliament as an Institution of National Importance, the Khuda Baksh Oriental Library of Patna is an autonomous institution functioning under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. The library has also been designated with the ‘Manuscript Conservation Centre’ (MCC) under the National Mission for Manuscripts.
Buddha Memorial Park (Buddha Smriti Udyaan)
The Buddha Memorial Park, also commonly referred to as the ‘Buddha Smriti Udyaan’ is a commemorative garden established to mark the 2550th anniversary of Lord Buddha’s Mahaparinirvana. Located in the heart of the city in the close propinquity with the Patna Railway Station, the Buddha Memorial Park covering an extensive area of 22 acres is an expansive garden harboring a stupa and the meditation ground within its periphery. The main stupa of the garden christened as the ‘Pataliputra Karuna Stupa’ houses an urn containing the holy ashes of Lord Buddha. Originally excavated from Vaishali, this ‘Asthikumbh’ was earlier exhibited in the Patna Museum which was later moved to its present location inside the Pataliputra Karuna Stupa. The Buddha Memorial Park conceptualized and established under the direction of Mr. Nitish Kumar; the present Chief Minister of Bihar was inaugurated on May 27, 2010 by the hands of His Holiness Dalai Lama. Apart from the Buddha Asthikumbh and the meditation ground, the Buddha Memorial Park is also noted for its grand museum where the objects and relics associated with Lord Buddha and his tall statue are preserved and displayed.
Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan
Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan located along the Bailey Road of Patna is a zoological and botanical garden that serves as one of the most frequented picnicking destinations of the city. Also known as the ‘Patna Zoo’ or ‘Sanjay Gandhi Botanical and Zoological Garden’, this animal asylum was originally established in 1969 as a botanical garden. It was later anointed to the status of a biological park in 1973 where the botanical garden was combined with a zoo. Covering the total area of 152.95 acres, this all encompassing Jaivik Udyan is honored to be one of the largest zoos of the entire South Asia Continent. The zoo swarming with the trees, shrubs and herbs of different 300 species presently shelters about 800 animals of distinct 110 species. Some of the noteworthy animals found at the Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan include Leopard, Tiger, Clouded Leopard, Elephants, Jackal, Himalayan Black Bear, Indian Rhinoceros, Zebra, Giraffe, Spotted Deer, Black Bucks, Hippopotamus, Peafowl, Crocodile, Hill Myna, Gharial, White Peacock, Emu, Snakes, Pythons, etc. The zoo houses an orchid house, a glass house, a rose garden, a fern house and various medicinal plants. Moreover, 35 species of fish and 5 species of reptiles are also sheltered here. The Sanjay Gandhi Jaivik Udyan is striving to conserve the endangered species and they have succeeded in the captive breeding of the wild animals. The Zoo receives over 750,000 visitors every year.
Sri Krishna Science Centre
‘Sri Krishna Science Center’ of Patna located to the southwest of the Gandhi Maidan along the T N Banerjee Road is a science museum that was established in the year 1978 with an aim of presenting science before the school children and general public in a more creative, informative and entertaining way and generating their interest in science and technology. Inaugurated on 14th April 1978 by the hands of Shri Thakur Prasad Singh; the then Minister of Education of the Government of Bihar, this Science Center was christened in the fond memory of Bihar’s first Chief Minister Dr. Sri Krishna Singh. The Sri Krishna Science Center is classified into various galleries namely Fun Science Gallery, Popular Science Gallery, Vishvaroopa, 3D Show, Evolution, Oceans, Science Park, Jurassic Park, Indian Scientists, etc.
Patna Planetarium, also known as Indira Gandhi Planetarium is located within the Indira Gandhi Science Complex of Patna along the Bailey Road. Envisaged by the then Chief Minister of Bihar Shri Satyendra Narain Sinha in the year 1989, the Patna Planetarium was established at the expense of around 11 Crore rupees by the orders of the Bihar Council on Science & Technology. The foundation stone of the Patna Planetarium was laid in October 1989 which was inaugurated on 21st March 1993 by the hands of the then Chief Minister Shri Laloo Prasad Yadav. It was declared open to the general public from 1st April 1993. Regarded amongst the largest planetariums of the Asia Continent, the Patna Planetarium beckons thousands of domestic as well as international tourists every year. The planetarium regularly organizes film shows and exhibitions on various topics related to astronomy and space science.
Mahatma Gandhi Setu
The Mahatma Gandhi Setu of Patna built across the River Ganga between Patna and Hajipur is a river bridge that happened to be the longest river bridge of the country at the time of its construction. Designed in the Girder Bridge style and measuring about 5575 meters in its total length, the Mahatma Gandhi Setu is acclaimed as one of the longest existing bridges in the whole world. Constructed by Gammon India Limited, this bridge took about 10 years (1972 to 1982) to complete and it was inaugurated in May 1982 by the hands of the then Prime Minister of India; Mrs. Indira Gandhi. 25 meters in its width, this bridge carries 4 lanes of roadways and pedestrian pathways on each side. Supported by 40 piers, this bridge is structured in such a manner that it doesn’t hinder the navigation of the ships and the big boats.
The Patna Museum located along the Vidyapati Marg just 2 kilometers away from the Patna Junction is the state museum of Bihar that was established in the year 1917 during the British Colonization. The main objective behind its creation was to avail a menagerie where the historical artifacts excavated from Patna and the surrounding regions could be housed. Locally popular as the ‘Jadu Ghar’, the Patna Museum is lodged within a grandiose mansion that is strikingly designed in the Mughal and Rajput orders of architecture. Defined as a multipurpose museum, this repository displays various archaeological and art objects, coins, instruments, paintings, sculptures, textiles, bronze & terra cotta images made by Hindu and Buddhist artists and so on in its different galleries. The Patna Museum is specially hailed for its rare collection of paintings dating back to the British Era those depict their day to day life in an extremely eloquent manner. Moreover, the museum also houses a brilliant collection of the articles related to Dr. Rajendra Prasad; the first President of India, a cannon used in the First World War, a 200 million years old fossilized tree, a casket unearthed at Vaishali in the year 1958 by an archaeologist named A. S. Altekar and not to forget the world-famous statue of Didarganj Yakshi that was discovered on the banks of the river Ganga in the year 1917. The Patna Museum receives lakhs of visitors every year; the number went up to 800,119 in the year 2007. Presently, a new Patna Museum is being built which will have the capacity of holding up to 20,000 objects.
Rajendra Smriti Sangrahalaya
The Rajendra Smriti Sangrahalaya located within the premises of the Bihar Vidyapeeth is an ancient museum where the souvenirs related to India’s first President; Deshratna Dr. Rajendra Prasad are preserved and exhibited. The Bihar Vidyapeeth operated as the ‘Karmabhoomi’ of Dr. Rajendra Prasad and he worked here since the establishment of the Bihar Vidyapeeth in 1921.
Old Opium Warehouse
The Old Opium Warehouse situated on the banks of the river Ganga in the Gulzarbagh area of the Patna City was originally constructed by the British East India Co. to store the opium and ship it to Kolkata from here. This historical edifice is presently used by the Bihar Government as a printing press.
Vaishali located about 34 kilometers away from Patna is an ancient city and the erstwhile capital of the Licchavi Empire that flourished in 6th century AD as one of the earliest republics in the whole world. The 24th Jain Tirthankara; Bhagwan Mahavir was born and brought up at Vaishali in 599 BC and it was here that Lord Buddha preached his last sermon in 483 BC before his annihilation. The Second Buddhist council organized by King Kalasoka was also held at Vaishali in 383 BC. Thus Vaishali happens to be an important pilgrim destination both for the Jains and the Buddhists. Vaishali also finds citations in the travelogues of a 4th century AD Chinese explorer named Faxian and a 7th century AD Chinese explorer named Xuanzang. The must visit destination of Vaishali include the Relic Stupa, the Kutagarasala Vihara, the Coronation Tank, the World Peace Pagoda and the Archaeological Museum.
Bodhgaya located at the distance of about 109 kilometers from Patna is a highly aggrandized Buddhist Pilgrim Destination that is believed to be the place where Lord Buddha had achieved enlightenment while meditating under a banyan tree.