|Krishnajanmabhoomi Complex (Keshav Dev Temple)||Located in Mathura close to the Mathura Vrandavan Road|
|Dwarikadheesh Temple||Positioned right in the heart of the city on the sacred banks of the river Yamuna|
|Birla Mandir / Gita Temple||Stationed on the outskirts of the city about 5 kilometers away from the city center on the Mathura Vrindavan Road|
|Banke Bihari Temple||Located in the holy city Vrindavan of Mathura District|
|Govinda Dev Temple||Located in ‘Vrindavan’ of Mathura District right in the heart of the town|
|Krishna Balarama Mandir / ISKCON Temple||Located in Vrindavan at the distance of about 12 kilometers from Mathura|
|Rangeshwar Mahadev Mandir||Located in the southern part of Mathura|
|Bhuteshwar Mahadev Mandir||Sited towards the western periphery of Mathura|
|Garteshwar Mahadev Mandir||Located in Mallapura right behind the Krishna Janambhoomi Temple Complex|
|Mahavidhya Devi Mandir||Located in northern Mathura about a kilometer away from the Krishna Janambhoomi|
|Govardhan Giriraj Hill||Positioned close to the Vrindavan Town in the Mathura District|
|Jai Gurudev Ashram||Located on National Highway 2|
|Sri Keshavji Gaudiya Math||Located in the proximity with the Rangeshwar Mahadev Temple and Kansa Qila|
|Gayatri Tapobhoomi||Located on the Vrindavan Road|
|Holi Gate||Situated on the outskirts of central Mathura|
|Kans Qila||Located close to the Saraswati Patan Tirth (Krishna Ganga Ghat) and Som Tirth (Gau Ghat) on the northern banks of the holy river Yamuna|
|Vishram Ghat||Located along the river Yamuna|
|Mathura Jain Chorasi||Located on the Delhi Mathura National Highway No 2 at the approximate distance of 4 kilometers from Mathura town|
|Kusum Sarovar||Located close to the Radha Kunj of Mathura|
|Basantar Park||Located at the distance of about 4 kilometers from the Mathura Railway Station close to the State Highway No 33|
|Potara Kund||Located in the proximity with the Keshav Dev Mandir right in the heart of the Mathura city|
|Rangbhoomi||Set up just opposite the post office of the Mathura|
|Jama Masjid||Located close to Keshav Dev Temple|
|Mathura Refinery||Located at the distance of about 11 kilometers from Mathura Railway Station|
|Mathura Museum||Located on the Museum Road close to the Bhagat Singh Park|
Krishnajanmabhoomi Complex (Keshav Dev Temple)
The Krishnajanmabhoomi Temple Complex located in Mathura close to the Mathura Vrandavan Road is believed to have constructed at the very exact site where Lord Shri Krishna was born to Devki and Vasudeo in the underground prison of King Kansa. Greatly venerated by the devotees of Lord Krishna, the Krishnajanmabhoomi Temple of Mathura is the supreme Vaishnavite shrine of India, one of the most essential Hindu pilgrim destinations scattered across the country and the most sought after tourist attraction of Mathura. Widely reckoned by the flag; the ‘Keshav Dev Temple’, the present day Krishna Temple of Mathura was built in the year 1965 at the cost of about 15 million rupees.
As per the prevalent belief, the original temple of Lord Krishna had been established by his great grand son Vajranabha about 5000 years ago. Later, in 400 AD a Gupta King named Chandragupta Vikramaditya had built an imperial temple at this place which was destroyed during the assaults of Mahmud of Ghazni in 1017 AD. Soon after, a new temple was raised in 1150 AD which was visited by Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. This shrine of Lord Krishna was demolished by Sikander Lodi in 16th century AD. Eventually Raja Veer Singh Bundela of Orchha constructed a 75 meters tall temple at the expanse of 3.3 million rupees during the dominion of the Mughal emperor Jehangir, but the notorious Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb brought it down and built the Idgah Mosque at its site. Today, the Krishnajanmabhoomi Temple shares a common wall with the mosque.
The Keshav Dev Temple can be visited from 7 in the morning to 8 in the evening every day and there is a heavy security in the temple premises. During the excavation undertaken at the place where Krishna was born, various articles such as archaic utensils, old statues and a rock platform that was generally seen in the prisons during that period were unearthed. These articles that confirm the prevailing legend of Lord Krishna’s birth are now exhibited in the museums of Mathura. In the Keshav Dev Temple a stone slab is placed which indicates the spot where Lord Krishna was born. The magnificent temple of Lord Krishna houses elegant and mesmerizing idols of Sri Krishna and Devi Radha. Apart from the idols of the presiding deity, the temple also enshrines a number of idols of other Hindu Gods and Goddesses.
The walls and ceiling of the temple bear some of the most momentous episodes of Shri Krishna’s life painted upon them. This temple of Krishnajanmabhoomi Complex of Mathura is cram packed with millions of devotees on the auspicious occasion of Krishna Janmashtami.
The Dwarikadheesh Temple of Mathura majestically positioned right in the heart of the city on the sacred banks of the river Yamuna is a celebrated abode of Lord Krishna highly frequented by the tourists and exceedingly exalted by the pilgrims. Founded by Seth Gokul Das Parikh; the treasurer of Gwalior in the year 1814, this temple of Mathura boasts of its unparalleled architectural ingenuity, amazingly spectacular paintings and brilliantly intricate carvings. The sanctum of the temple enshrines the eye dazzling idols of Lord Krishna flanked by His beloved Devi Radha and accompanied by Lord Balaram and other deities. Presently administered by the followers of Vallabhacharya Sampraday, the Dwarikadheesh Temple of Mathura receives a deluge of devotees at the time of Janmashtami and Holi festivals. The flamboyantly decorated temple during this festive season undoubtedly wins the heart of every beholder. This magniloquent temple of Shri Krishna can be visited from 7:00 am to 8:00 pm every day.
Birla Mandir / Gita Temple
The Gita Mandir of Mathura stationed on the outskirts of the city about 5 kilometers away from the city center on the Mathura Vrindavan Road is a holy shrine of this sanctified land dedicated to the Hindu scripture Shrimad Bhagavad Gita and its preacher Lord Shri Krishna. Remarkably revered by the devotees, the Gita Mandir, distinguished for its outstanding wall paintings and unmatched temple carvings turns out to be one of the most visited pilgrim destinations of the Krishna Janambhoomi; Mathura. A worth mentioning feature of this shrine is that it bears the entire text of Bhagavad Gita inscribed upon its temple walls. The additional attractions of this temple are its Geeta Stambh and a number of extravagant paintings. As this marvelous piece of temple architecture is established by one of the wealthiest industrialists of India; the Birla Group, this strikingly beautiful temple also receives a sobriquet; the ‘Birla Temple’. Built in red sandstone, this magnanimous edifice highly praised for its structural dexterity and gorgeous carvings is indeed a specimen of architectural adroitness of the artisans of yesteryears. The chief chamber (sanctorum) of the Birla Temple is adorned with the graceful and ornamental idols of Lord Krishna, Lakshmi Narayana, Lord Ram and Devi Sita. Regular Poojas are offered at the Gita Mandir every day while special ritualistic Poojas are performed on the occasions of Krishna Janmashtami and other festivals. The entire temple is resplendently decorated and illuminated at the time of Janmashtami, Holi and other celebrations. A number of stalls are set up out side the Gita Mandir temple where devotees can buy flowers, sweet prasads and other important Pooja articles.
Banke Bihari Temple
The term ‘Banke’ means ‘bent in three places’, while ‘Bihari’ means ‘the supreme enjoyer’. Banke Bihari Temple located in the holy city Vrindavan of Mathura District is a Hindu shrine dedicated to Lord Krishna. Lord Banke Bihari standing in his Tribhanga posture was originally discovered by Swami Haridas of the Nimbarka Sect at Nidhivana in 16th century where he consecrated the idol in a temple and worshipped the deity in the form of Lord Kunj Bihari. Later, with the construction of the present day Banke Bihari temple of Vrindavan, the idol of the presiding deity was moved here from Nidhivana in 1864 AD. Originally, the Lord Banke Bihari was worshiped alone but later on a small idol of Devi Radharani was also enshrined on the side of Lord Krishna. ‘Jhulan Yatra’ (swing festival) is the annual festival of the Banke Bihari Temple of Vrindavan when the Lord Banke Bihari is seated on a golden swing known as ‘Hindola’.
As per the prevalent custom of the temple the curtain before the Deities is not kept open all the time but it is drawn every once in a while. It is believed that the bright eyes of the Lord Banke Bihari can make you unconscious if you stare at Him for a long while. The Banke Bihari Temple of Mathura District is probably the only temple in the country where loud bells are not chimed to wake Krishna up. Even the Aarti is performed in a quiet environment without bells and the deities do not wake up until 9:00 am. Mangala Aarti is performed only once a year on Janmashtami Day while the lotus feet of Lord Krishna can be seen only on Akshaya Tritiya Day. The deity is made to hold the flute only on the autumn full moon day and His full view can be perceived only for last five days of Phalguna month. At the time of Holi Festival Lord Banke Bihari is accompanied with 4 Gopis.
The temple timings in summer are at 12:00 noon and in evening from 5:30 to 9:30 pm. While in winter the darshana can be taken from 8:45 am to 1:00 pm and from 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
Govinda Dev Temple
The Govinda Dev Temple located in ‘Vrindavan’ of Mathura District right in the heart of the town is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shri Krishna, also locally worshipped by the title ‘Govindaji’. Originally a seven-storey edifice, this temple was built by Raja Man Singh of Jaipur in the year 1590 at the cost of rupees ten million. This was the period when the liberal and tolerant Mughal Emperor Akbar was encouraging the creation of marvelous Hindu temples. The Govinda Dev Temple of Vrindavan is a meritorious paradigm of medieval Indian architectural order. Resembling the cathedrals of Europe and built in dazzling red sandstone (which is said to have donated by Emperor Akbar), this temple is noted for its aureate altar embellished with marble, gold and silver. Acclaimed as one of the finest archetypes of temple architecture in Northern India, this temple is also renowned for its enormous sculpture of a lotus flower weighing quite a few tons and ornamenting the ceiling of the main hall. The top four stories were destroyed by Aurangzeb in the year 1670. As the tale goes, when the men of Aurangzeb were demolishing the temple, suddenly the earth began to shake fiercely and the horrified men ran for the lives. Later, during the British era the remaining structure of the temple was repaired between 1873 and 1877 AD. The presiding deity of the temple; the Govinda Devji is believed to have originally enshrined by Vajranabha; the great grandson of Lord Krishna. The original idol was moved to Jaipur when Muslims invaded Vrindavan. Presently the Govinda Dev Temple stands empty but the replica of Govinda Dev is worshiped in a new small temple placed right at the back of the original temple.
Krishna Balarama Mandir / ISKCON Temple
Shri Krishna Balarama Mandir located in Vrindavan at the distance of about 12 kilometers from Mathura is a Gaudiya Vaishnava Temple established by the ISKCON Society. Built in the year 1975 under the patronage of Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada; the founder of ISKCON, this temple is reckoned as one of the chief ISKCON temples in the world. The main deities worshipped in the temple are Lord Krishna and Lord Balarama. To their right are seated Lord Radha Krishna with two Gopikas named Lalita and Vishakha while to their left are enshrined Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and Swami Nityananda. Near the entrance of the temple a Samadhi Shrine is erected in pure white marble where the ashes of Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada are buried. After the demise of Swamiji, the house where he lived has been converted to a museum. Additionally, a guest house, a restaurant, a gurukula and a goshala are also established here. Splendidly built in shiny white marble and equipped with all the modern amenities, the ISKCON temple of Vrindavan is one of the must visit tourist destinations near Mathura.
Rangeshwar Mahadev Mandir
The Rangeshwar Mahadev Temple located in the southern part of Mathura is a holy shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva; the God of destruction. Being one of the few temples of Lord Shiva existing in the land of Lord Krishna, the Rangeshwar Mahadev Temple is positioned at a high rank in the itinerary of a visitor of Mathura. The background history of Rangeshwar Mahadev is associated with the slaying of King Kansa by Shri Krishna. A Shiva Lingam is placed adjacent the ‘Rangashala’ i.e. the wrestling arena where the great wrestling match between Kansa and Krishna had taken place. It is said that Kansa had worshipped Lord Shiva before wrestling with Krishna. But as Shri Krishna smoothly and effortlessly killed Kansa along with his associates, Lord Shiva became overjoyed and started laughing. Henceforward, the Lord Shiva came to be known by the name Shri Rangeshwar; the Lord of the Rangashala. It is believed that Lord Rangeshwar is the kshetrapalaka i.e. the protector of the Mathura city. As Kansa was killed on Shiva Ratri day, every year in the Hindu month Kartik on the day of Shukla-Dashami the Chaube community of Mathura celebrates a festival commemorating Krishna’s victory over Kansa. At the time of this festival about 20 to 30 feet tall statue of Kansa is erected here and symbolically killed by the hands of Lord Shri Krishna.
Bhuteshwar Mahadev Mandir
The Bhuteshwar Mahadev Mandir sited towards the western periphery of Mathura is dedicated to Lord Shiva who is believed to have arrived at Braj Bhoomi and settled here to protect the land of Lord Krishna from this side. This small shrine of Lord Mahadev positioned facing towards east is probably one of the few temples on the earth where the consort of Lord Shiva i.e. Goddess Parvati is seated right next to him in the form of a feminine Lingam. The sanctum of this Shiva Temple measures approximately 100 square meters in its area. In the premises of the Bhuteshwar Mahadev Mandir a cave of Patal Devi is also located who is believed to be worshipped by King Kansa. Apart from that, Potra Kund and Adikeshav are also parked close to the Bhuteshwar Mahadev Mandir. Estimated to be one of the oldest temples of Mathura, this holy shrine receives myriads of devotees during the month of Sravan on the Mondays.
Garteshwar Mahadev Mandir
Garteshwar Mahadev Mandir of Mathura located in Mallapura right behind the Krishna Janambhoomi Temple Complex is an ancient temple dedicated to Lord Shiva. It is believed that Lord Garteshwar protects Mathura from its eastern side.
Mahavidhya Devi Mandir
Mahavidhya Devi Temple located in northern Mathura about a kilometer away from the Krishna Janambhoomi is an olden temple dedicated to Goddess Mahavidhya; the baby girl born to Nand and Yashoda in Gokul who was exchanged by Vasudeo against Shri Krishna. When Kansa tried to kill her taking her as the eighth child of Devki; the one destined to kill him, she flew up in the sky and pronounced that the child who will slay Kansa had already born somewhere else. Mahavidhya Devi; a manifestation of Goddess Durga is worshipped as the presiding deity of this temple. It is believed that Mahavidhya Devi is the guardian deity who was incarnated to protect Lord Krishna. Earlier deemed as one of the Shakti-Peethas, this temple of Mahavidhya Devi presents an outstanding specimen of the Nagara style of temple architecture. Erected on an elevated plinth and ornamented with grandly chiseled eye catching sculptures, this temple is estimated to have been constructed sometime during 18th century AD.
The idol of Goddess Mahavidhya, particularly reckoned for its attention-grabbing eyes is seated in a high pulpit in the center of the main altar. The main deity of the temple is flanked by two smaller deities; Bagalamukhi and Pratyangira. Additionally, two more deities are enshrined in a corner of the temple, one of them being the older image of Goddess Mahavidhya Herself, and the other – Lord Bhairava. This temple of Goddess Mahavidhya is also known as the Tantra Siddhi Kshetra. Daily Poojas are offered at the temple and annual festivals are also celebrated with utmost fervor and devotion. As per the legend, a Vidyadhara named Sudarshan who was cursed to be a snake was granted salvation by Lord Krishna at this very place earlier known as Ambikavan. Moreover, it is also believed that Pandavas had stayed here for some time during the period of their exile.
Govardhan Giriraj Hill
The legendary Govardhan Hill bestowed upon with the title ‘Giriraj’ meaning, ‘the king of the mountains’ is the precipice positioned close to the Vrindavan Town in the Mathura District. Worshipped as the natural form of Lord Krishna and considered extremely sacred by the Hindus, the Govardhan Hill is the same mound that was lifted up by Lord Krishna in order to shelter the citizens and the cattle of Gokul from the frenzy thunder storm and heavy rains generated by the Rain God; Lord Indra. The term Govardhan means that which nourishes (vardhan) the cows (go). As per the tale, when adolescent Krishna saw the people of Gokul preparing for the annual Indra Pooja, he preached the importance of Karma and instructed them to worship the Govardhan Parvat; the lifeline of Gokul instead. Outraged Indra flooded the town when Krishna held the Mount Govardhan on his pinky finger and provided shelter to the people and the cattle. As the rainstorm sent by Indra turned ineffective, he eventually accepted the defeat. Thenceforward the residents of Gokul started worshipping the Govardhan Hill. Even today the Govardhan Pooja is celebrated on the day following the day of Diwali to commemorate Indra’s defeat against Lord Krishna.
Jai Gurudev Ashram
‘Baba Jai Gurudev’ i.e. Sri Tulsidas Ji Maharaj is a religious leader and an Indian Spiritual Guru in northern India who is equally revered by Hindus and Muslims as a great saint. This 116 years old Guru advocates the importance of vegetarianism and abstinence from alcohol. Through his discourses he propagates the idea that the arch enemies of the mankind are the five weaknesses; lust, anger, attachment, egotism and greed. By getting rid of them we can reduce pain and misery in human life, diminish the distractions and temptations of the mind, reduce the lumber of Karmas and enable the soul to achieve spiritual evolution. Baba Jai Gurudev also aims at saving people from premature deaths. An Ashram named ‘Jai Gurudev Ashram’ is run by Baba Jai Gurudev in Mathura. The Ashram administers a temple named Naam Yog Sadhna Mandir which is also popularly known as the ‘Jai Gurudev Temple’. This Mandir located close to the Ashram on National Highway 2 between Delhi and Agra is one of the favorite tourist attractions and pilgrim destinations of the holy town Mathura. The architecture of the temple bears a resemblance to that of the Taj Mahal. The most noteworthy feature of this temple is that donations are not accepted from the non vegetarians. Tourists can stay in this ashram if they want to discern their spiritual self.
Sri Keshavji Gaudiya Math
Sri Keshavji Gaudiya Math of Mathura located in the proximity with the Rangeshwar Mahadev Temple and Kansa Qila is a temple established by Sri Srimad Bhakti Prajnana Kesava Goswami Maharaj. Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Narayana Goswami Maharaja and Sri Srimad Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada are two of his ardent devotees and foremost followers. The main deities worshipped in this math temple are Sri Sri Radha Vinod Bihariji, Caitanya Mahaprabhuji and Sri Govardhan Giriraj.
Gayatri Tapobhumi, eulogized as the first Gayatri Temple of Mathura was established in the year 1950 by Pundit Shriram Sharma Acharya, also known by the epithet ‘Gurudev’. Located on the Vrindavan Road, the Gayatri Tapobhoomi commemorates the completion of the recitation of 240,000 Gayatri Mantras i.e. ‘Gayatri Mahapurasharan’ performed by the Gurudev. The sacrosanct water and the holy soil collected from various 2400 pilgrimage sites all over the India were used in building the foundation of the Tapobhumi. Pundit Shriram Sharma Acharya used to undertake penance at this divine Tapasthali. The most noteworthy feature of this Tapobhoomi is its Yagyashala which houses the ‘Akhand Agni’ that has been alive for past 700 years. Originally this sacred flame was kindled by a Siddha Yogi. The Pran-Pratistha (enshrining) of the Vedmata Gayatri’s idol was organized at the same time when the Akhand Agni of the temple was established in the Agni Kund. This Akhand Agni holds a vital importance as it contains 24,000 million Gayatri Mantras written and offered by the worshippers of Goddess Gayatri. In the year 1956 the ‘Gayatri Pariwar’ was founded. The Narmedh Yagya and the great Sahastrakundiya Yagya performed here between 1956 and 58 drew nearly 400,000 devotees from every corner of the country. Following that, about 10,000 centers of Gayatri mission emerged in different parts of India. Later, Yug Nirman Vidyalaya was founded at the Gayatri Tapobhumi of Mathura which aims at making people self-sufficient and independent. Ever since 1953 AD, over a million pilgrims have performed Gayatri Anusthan at the Gayatri Tapobhumi and also participated in the camps organized here.
The Holi Gate situated on the outskirts of central Mathura from where the old Mathura city can be approached is an ancient gateway dated back to the medieval era. Built in flamboyantly bedecked and ornately carved sandstone, the Holi Gate is regarded as the chief landmark of the Mathura city. The area surrounding the Holi Gate is always hustling bustling with the venders and hawkers and tourists make it a point to pay a visit to Holi Gate to taste the ethnicity of the Old Mathura. The specialty items of Mathura including the Kesharia Peda and other souvenirs can be bought from the Holi Gate.
Kans Qila, also known as the ‘Old Fort’ or ‘Purana Qila’ is located close to the Saraswati Patan Tirth (Krishna Ganga Ghat) and Som Tirth (Gau Ghat) on the northern banks of the holy river Yamuna. This age old fortress originally inhabited by the notorious King Kansa and now in ruins is the main citadel of the blessed city Mathura. Depicting a fine blend of Hindu and Muslim styles of architecture, this fort has been protecting the Mathura City from the floods of Yamuna River. This stronghold was renovated by the Rajput King Raja Man Singh of Amber in late 16th century. It is believed that Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh of Jaipur had constituted an observatory close to the fort in 18th century. Even though, no traces of the observatory are found today which could testify the available information.
Vishram Ghat one of the 25 bathing ghats built along the river Yamuna in the holy city Mathura is the very place where Lord Krishna is supposed to have rested after killing the tyrant King Kansa. Accredited with the highest rank amongst all the ghats of Mathura, Vishram Ghat is the place from where the traditional parikrama of the pilgrim places in Mathura starts and ends. Built in glossy marble stone and ornamented with a huge stone arch this ghat is particularly acclaimed for the grand Yamuna Aarti spectacle perceived from here. The small oil lamps smoothly gliding on the river surface and the sparkling reflection of the thousands of gleaming lights in the water create a truly compelling prospect. Incredibly huge turtles are also seen in the riverbed of Yamuna at the Vishram Ghat. The Vishram Ghat is enclosed by splendid temples of Mathura such as Yamuna-Krishna Temple, Neelkantheshwar Temple, Radha-Damodar Temple, Mukut Temple, Murli Manohar Temple, Narasimha Temple, Langali Hanuman Temple and so on.
Mathura Jain Chorasi
Mathura Jain Chorasi located on the Delhi Mathura National Highway No 2 at the approximate distance of 4 kilometers from Mathura town is a Jain Temple dedicated to Lord Ajitnath and Lord Jambuswami. Subsequent to Lord Bahubali and the 24 Jain Tirthankaras who attained the state of ‘Moksha’ i.e. complete salvation was Jambuswami; the only Vaishya Vanshiya to reach Nirvana. As Jambuswami accomplished ultimate salvation at the age of 84 at Mathura which was at that time bounded by dense 84 forests, this propitious place came to be known as Jain Chorasi (84). The famous Jain place of worship, the Mathura Jain Chorasi enshrines the idol of Lord Ajitnath as its patron deity. This idol carved in a fine-looking white marble was discovered during certain excavation at Gwalior. Moreover, the sanctum of the temple also houses the ‘Charan’ i.e. the foot prints of Lord Jambuswami next to the statue of Lord Ajitnath. Apart from the main vedi, the temple is adorned with 9 more vedis enshrining Lord Parasnath, Neminath, Lord Mahavir, Kevali Bahubali Swami, Kevali Jambu Swami and so on. The most worth mentioning feature of this Mathura Jain Chorasi is its 21 feet tall statue of Lord Jambuswami which is probably the largest statue of this Jain deity. Portrayed in sitting posture, this colossal figurine is carved out of single piece of granite stone. This Digambara Jain Temple has a main hall which can accommodate over 500 people for the daily pujas and pravachans. The temple can be visited from 6:00 am to 9:30 pm. The Mathura Jain Chorasi has two Dharmashalas which have in total 60 rooms equipped with modern amenities including Kitchen, Let-Bath, Fans, seasoned water etc.
Kusum Sarovar, located close to the Radha Kunj of Mathura is a 450 feet long and 60 feet deep water tank which is believed to be the place where Devi Radha along with the Gopikas from Gokul used to come under the pretext of collecting flowers and meet Lord Krishna. The Kusum Sarovar is bounded with a flight of stairs from all the sides along its bathing ghats bejeweled with beautiful flora and fauna. Huge Kadamb Trees grow on the banks of the Kusum Sarovar which are known to be greatly loved by Lord Krishna. The serene and placid ambience of the Kusum Lake particularly beckons the tourists to come and spend some time in the vicinity of immaculate heavenly beauty. They also enjoy bathing or swimming in the rejuvenating waters of this Sarovar or take a leisurely stroll along the banks of this tranquil water lagoon. An additional attraction of the Kusum Sarovar is the magnificent view of Aarti witnessed in the evening. A number of small temples as well as ashrams are situated in the neighborhood of the Kusum Sarovar. This water tank as well as the bathing ghats were built by Jawahir Singh in 1764 AD. Kusum Sarovar is celebrated as the best ever swimming spot of the entire Braj region.
The Basantar Park of Mathura located at the distance of about 4 kilometers from the Mathura Railway Station close to the State Highway No 33 is a garden landscaped on the banks of the river Basantar; the tributary of the river Ravi. Established commemorating the victory of the legendary ‘Battle of Basantar’ which was fought between India and Pakistan in the year 1971, Basantar Park is one of the favorite weekend picnic spots and a well frequented tourist destination in the holy city Mathura. Equipped with numerous gaming instruments and affluent with pulchritudinous flora the Basantar Park allures both the kids and adults equivalently.
The term ‘Potara’ means the baby clothes. Potara Kund located in the proximity with the Keshav Dev Mandir right in the heart of the Mathura city is a magnificent enclosure built around an imperial water tank where the baby clothes of Lord Krishna were believed to have been washed when he was a kid. This mammoth sized architecture exclusively built in red sandstone summons the tourists as well as the pilgrims to come and pay a visit to this holy site. The water of the Potara Kund is considered extremely sacrosanct and it is used for several temple rituals. Moreover, the pilgrims find it very fortunate to bathe in the celestial waters of the Potara Kund. A grand flight of stairs leads to the water of the Kund from all the four sides. The imposing red walls reflecting in the sacred waters of the Potara Kund and the majestic stepped structure create a really overwhelming spectacle. As the legend goes, originally there were 159 Kunds but only four of them have survived till date. Apart from the Potara Kund, other three Kunds are; the Shiv Tal, the Balbhadra Kund and the Saraswati Kund. In earlier days Potara Kund was just a small elementary pond but in 1839 AD, a Maratha ruler Mahadji Scindia constructed the present day Potara Kund. This is one of the few historical monuments of Mathura which has been well preserved by the tourism department. Tourists feel inclined towards reposing and relaxing in the vicinity of the Potara Kund.
The Rangbhoomi of Mathura set up just opposite the post office of the Mathura province is believed to be the wrestling arena where the legendary wrestling match between Lord Shri Krishna and his maternal uncle Kansa had taken place. During this diehard combat Krishna easily killed Kansa and set his imprisoned parents and his maternal grand father Ugrasena free. Later Krishna reinstated Ugrasena at the throne of Mathura.
In 17th century AD the infamous Mughal emperor Aurangzeb invaded Mathura and demolished a number of Hindu shrines including the Keshav Dev Temple of Krishna Janambhoomi. The Jama Masjid was constructed by Abd-un-Nabi; the governor of the Emperor Aurangzeb at the very exact location of the Krishna Janambhoomi Temple in the year 1661. The present day Keshav Dev Temple is positioned close to the Jama Masjid. Representing the Mughal order of architecture, this mosque is indeed unsurpassed in its architectonic dexterity. The four intricately garlanded lofty minarets that flank the main structure of the mosque from the four directions are renowned for their rococo designs and truly remarkable beautifications. The montage plastering of these prodigious configurations still retain their unusual charisma and ethnic vivacity. The Jama Masjid of Mathura receives a large number of devotes as well as tourists every single day.
The Mathura Refinery located at the distance of about 11 kilometers from Mathura Railway Station is an Oil Refinery owned by Indian Oil Corporation. Accredited with the highest rank amongst all the 14 oil refineries of India, the Mathura Refinery processes low sulfur crude from Bombay High imported from Nigeria. The high sulfur crude processed here is imported from the Middle East. The Mathura Refinery built at the cost of Rs. 253.92 crore commissioned from January 1982. The foundation stone of the refinery was laid by the hands of Indira Gandhi; the then prime minister of India and the construction of the refinery commenced in October 1972. Recently the Mathura Refinery was in the news for supposedly causing the white marble of the Taj Mahal to turn yellow. This refinery is at present trying to obtain the permission from the Indian Government for expansion.
Mathura Museum located on the Museum Road close to the Bhagat Singh Park is an archaeological museum treasured for its rich ancient sculptures belonging to the Mathura School of Sculptures dating from 3rd century BC to 12th century AD. Established by Sir F.S Growse; the then collector of the Mathura district in the year 1874, the Mathura Museum is one of the foremost museums of the state of Uttar Pradesh. The chief exhibits displayed in this museum comprise the sculptures unearthed by Cunnigham, Fuhrer, Growse and others. Formerly when this museum was housed in a marvelously carved buff stone building, its compass was kept limited to the archeological finds from Mathura and the neighboring areas. Later in the year 1930, the museum was shifted to its present location in the octagonal shaped edifice built in red sandstone. Currently, the measureless collection of the museum includes stone sculptures, architectural fragments, bas reliefs, inscriptions, coins, terracotta, pottery pieces, bronze objects, inscribed bricks, clay seals, paintings and so on. The specimens of the Mathura School of Sculpture which reached its acme of glory during the sovereignty of Kushan and Gupta Emperors are displayed here. This museum presents probably the best study material for the research in Indian Art and Iconography. It is believed that the first Buddha image was developed here. The most outstanding features of this museum are the Plaques of the Sunga age, the statue of the archaic mother goddesses, and the headless figure of Kanishka and so on. On 9th October 1974 on the centenary of the museum the Government of India issued a postage stamp after the museum.