|Rani Mahal (Queen's Palace)||Situated along the Nehru Marg in close proximity to the Jhansi Fort|
|The Fort of Jhansi||Located near Rani Mahal of Jhansi|
|State Museum||Positioned in the vicinity of the Jhansi Fort close to the Rani Lakshmibai Park|
|Maharaja Gangadhar Rao ki Chathri||Located near Lakshmi Tal of Jhansi|
|Lord Ganesh Temple||Parked adjacent the main entrance of the Jhansi Fort|
|Maha Lakshmi Temple||Located just outside the Lakshmi Darwaza on the brink of the Lakshmi Tal|
|Nag Mandir||To be found in the cantonment area of the Jhansi City|
|St. Jude's Shrine||Located at the Civil Lines of Jhansi|
|Orchha||Positioned on the banks of the river Betwa approximately 18 kilometers from Jhansi|
|Chirgaon||Nestled on the banks of the river Betwa approximately 31 kilometers from Jhansi|
|Parichha Dam||Situated approximately 23 kilometers from Jhansi on the Jhansi - Kanpur NH 25|
|Barua Sagar||Positioned at the mere distance of 23 kilometers from Jhansi and cradled on the banks of the river Betwa|
|Gwalior||Located about 102 kilometers away from Jhansi|
|Khajuraho||Placed against the lofty backdrop of Vindhya Mountain Ranges|
Rani Mahal (Queen's Palace)
The Rani Mahal or the Queen’s Palace of Jhansi situated along the Nehru Marg in close proximity to the Jhansi Fort is an ancient royal alcazar that once served as the residing quarters of the gallant queen of Jhansi; Rani Lakshmibai. Established under the patronage of Raghunath Newalkar II in 18th century AD, this historic palace; an eye witness to the First War of Independence of India is now converted to a heritage & archaeological museum where precious artifacts dating back to the time span between 9th and 12th century AD are displayed. This imperial edifice built in two storeys and crowned with a flat horizontal roof encompasses a quadrangular courtyard within its premises. Studded with a small well on one side and furbished with a fascinating fountain on the other, this courtyard is surrounded by six large halls and several smaller rooms sided by parallel corridors. Garlanded with multi-foiled archways, these corridors add the monarchical demeanor to this magnificent structure. A flight of stairs leads us to the Durbar Hall which is marvelously adorned with vivid paintings depicting various motifs like flowers, animals, geometrical patterns and so on. The arches of the Durbar Hall ornamented with impressive designs of peacocks and rose flowers further augment the aesthetic appeal of this architecture. Even though the predominant portion of the Queen’s Palace was demolished by the British forces during the War of Independence, the remnants of this regal mansion still hold their old majestic charm. The ground floor of the Rani Mahal today showcases an anthology of rare stone sculptures dating back to the Gupta and Medieval ages. These sculptures were gathered from Madanpur, Dudhai, Chandpur, Barua Sagar and other regions of the Jhansi District. The Rani Mahal and the Palace Museum can be visited from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm between Tuesday and Sunday.
The Fort of Jhansi
The Fort of Jhansi, a living testimony of the valor and fortitude exhibited by Rani Lakshmibai while fighting for the Motherland is an archaic stronghold existing since the inception of Jhansi. Fixed upon an elevated rocky plateau this garrison was constructed in the year 1613 AD under the benefaction of Raja Bir Singh Judao of Orchha. This gigantic edifice sprawling over an extensive area of 15 acres measures 312 meters in its total length and 225 meters in its total width. Originally proliferating within the fortification of this gargantuan citadel, the city of Jhansi has now burgeoned around this soaring establishment. The Jhansi Fort is accessible through 10 different gates, some of them being; Khanderao Gate, Jharna Gate, Sagar Gate, Laxmi Gate, Orcha Gate, Chand Gate, Unnao Gate, Sainyar Gate and Datia Darwaza. Confined by a deep moat from outside, the enormous wall of the Jhansi Fort sheltered the residents of Jhansi at the time of the Rebellion of 1857. Some of the noteworthy sites located inside the Fort of Jhansi include Shiva Temple, Ganesh Temple, Bhawani Shankar, Panch Mahal, Kadak Bijli (the cannon used during the battle of 1857), Grave of Gulam Gaus Khan, Baradari, Kal Kothari, Execution Tower, the spot from where Rani Lakshmibai jumped from the fort on her horse named Badal, and so on. The famous Rani Mahal of Jhansi is also sited close to the Jhansi Fort. The annual Jhansi Festival (Jhansi Mahotsav) is celebrated at the Jhansi Fort in the month of January or February. The Fort of Jhansi can be visited from 9:30 am to 6:00 pm and just 5 rupees are charged here as the entry fee.
The State Museum (Government Museum) of Jhansi positioned in the vicinity of the Jhansi Fort close to the Rani Lakshmibai Park, City Auditorium and other pulchritudinous gardens is a treasure repository where a rich collection of documents, paintings, sculptures and other artifacts dating back to distinct eras are preserved and put on display. Established in the year 1978, this museum grants its visitors an authentic insight into the glorious history and brilliant cultural legacy of Jhansi as well as the entire Bundelkhand Region. In its assorted galleries, this museum showcases an impressive agglomeration of artifacts dated back to the Chandela Epoch, ancient armaments, gold, silver & copper coins, manuscripts, paintings, bronze & terracotta sculptures, royal attires, photographs, statues of the Chandela sovereigns, the weapons used by Rani Lakshmibai during the Battle of 1857, and so on. The picture gallery of this museum narrating the saga of the triumphant tenure of the Gupta Kings particularly attracts the visitors. The State Museum of Jhansi can be visited from 10:30 am to 4:30 pm from Tuesday through Sunday. It remains closed on Mondays and second Saturdays.
Maharaja Gangadhar Rao ki Chathri
Maharaja Gangadhar Rao, one of the most dynamic and efficient administrators of the Jhansi province and a very generous and affectionate ruler of his dominion was married to Manikarnika (later Rani Lakshmibai) in the year 1842. He passed away in the year 1853 subsequent to which Jhansi was annexed to the British Empire under the ‘Doctrine of Laps’ and Rani Lakshmibai sacrificed her life fighting for the Motherland. As a symbol of her love and respect towards her departed husband, Rani Lakshmibai constructed a cenotaph in the honor of Maharaja Gangadhar Rao in the neighborhood of the Lakshmi Tal of Jhansi. Erected in the very year of his annihilation, this tombstone dedicated to Maharaja Gangadhar Rao; the erstwhile king of Jhansi is an astonishing paradigm of architectural adroitness prevailing during 19th century AD. Raised over a square shaped platform sided by a small flight of steps this staggering structure is crowned by two spherical domes supported by ten upright pillars in total. Both the bigger and the smaller domes are topped with an elaborately designed spire pointing towards the sky. Festooned with intricately chiseled carvings, the pillars as well as the arched roof supporters exhibit the artistic grandeur achieved by the artisans of 19th century India.
Lord Ganesh Temple
The Lord Ganesh Temple of Jhansi parked adjacent the main entrance of the Jhansi Fort is a splendid little shrine dedicated to Lord Ganesh which apart from its religious importance holds immense historical magnitude. This Ganesh Temple of the Jhansi Fort happens to be the venue where the betrothal ceremony of Maharaja Gangadhar Rao and Rani Lakshmibai (then Manikarnika) was solemnized in the year 1842. Furthermore, what additionally enthralls the beholders is the remarkably unconventional structural design of the temple. Instead of bearing a cupola like framework at its top, this Ganesh Temple is built in a typical fort like architecture and also features a bastion kind of formation crowning its pinnacle. This Ganesh Temple is assumed to be as old as the Jhansi Fort itself. The tourists make it a point to spend some moments in the propinquity with this attester of Rani Lakshmibai’s nerve and incomparable audacity.
Maha Lakshmi Temple
The Maha Lakshmi Temple of Jhansi dedicated to the Goddess Maha Lakshmi; the Hindu deity of wealth and fortune is an 18th century temple highly aggrandized amongst the locals as well as tourists for its tremendous religious eminence and its unbounded historical significance. Existing since the regime of Maharaja Gangadhar Rao and Rani Lakshmibai, this temple of Goddess Maha Lakshmi has been a mute witness to the First War of Independence of 1857 and the unsurpassed gallantry demonstrated by Rani Lakshmibai while fighting against the British troops. Located just outside the Lakshmi Darwaza on the brink of the Lakshmi Tal, this Maha Lakshmi shrine exceedingly venerated amongst the devotees of Goddess Lakshmi and vitally commended for its extravagant architectural ingenuity beckons hundreds of devotees particularly on the occasions of Laxmi Puja and Diwali Festival.
The Nag Mandir of Jhansi dedicated to the celestial king of heavenly serpents; ‘Vasuki’ also worshipped here as the ‘Nag Devta’ is a Hindu place of worship that adds one more dimension to the religious disposition of this renowned historical conurbation. To be found in the cantonment area of the Jhansi City, the Nag Mandir other than its devotional and spiritual weight is also acclaimed amongst the tourists and sightseers for the infinite natural beauty this place is bequeathed with. If you pay a visit to the Nag Mandir at the time of sunrise you would be absolutely flabbergasted by the stunning pageantry of colors performed in the firmament at the time of daybreak. Moreover, the spectacular panoramas of the Jhansi city bespeckled with verdurous foliage and luxuriant tree groves perceived from here leave the onlookers utterly overwhelmed.
St. Jude's Shrine
St. Jude’s Shrine of Jhansi dedicated to the revered memory of St. Jude Thaddaeus; one of the 12 Apostles of Lord Jesus Christ is a Roman Catholic Shrine erected in this historic city that holds sublime spiritual importance amongst the Catholic population of Jhansi. Exalted as the first Indian church built in the name of St. Jude, this tabernacle was established in the year 1966 AD. The devotion to St. Jude Thaddaeus was introduced in Jhansi by the late Bishop F. X. Fenech. It is believed that a bone of St. Jude Himself was buried in the foundation of this church at the time of its consecration. The St. Jude’s Shrine receives heavy influx of devotees for its daily masses as well as the holy Novenas. The Church celebrates its weeklong annual festival in the last week of October which culminates with St. Jude’s Feast on October 28th. After a weeklong fair, a grand procession is held on the last day. Thousands of catholic devotees and even the people of other faiths and religions from far and wide throng the premises of the St. Jude’s Shrine on the occasion of St. Jude’s Feast. The edifice of St. Jude’s Shrine haughtily standing amidst the unruffled and peaceful environs portrays a rare amalgamation of Christian and Hindu structural designs in its architecture. The enormous domes installed at the entrance illustrate the clear influence of the Hindu culture. St. Jude’s Shrine located at the Civil Lines of Jhansi is one of the must visit tourist attractions of this heritage city.
Orchha; the erstwhile capital of the Bundelkhand Region and presently flourishing as a moderate township of the Tikamgarh District in the state of Madhya Pradesh was established in 1501 AD by a Bundela chief; Rudra Pratap Singh who later became the first Maharaja of Orchha. Positioned on the banks of the river Betwa approximately 18 kilometers from Jhansi, the Orchha town is greatly cherished by the tourists and vacationists of Jhansi and Khajuraho for its ostentatious bequest of several historical edifices, numerous specimens of ancient architecture and scores of sacred religious destinations. Some of the most worth visiting tourist attractions of Orchha town include the Fort of Orchha, Raja Mahal, Jahangir Mahal, Chhatris and cenotaphs stretched along the banks of the Betwa River, Raj Mandir, Chaturbhuj Temple, Lakshmi Temple, Ram Raja Temple, and many others.
Nestled on the banks of the river Betwa approximately 31 kilometers from Jhansi and easily accessible through the Jhansi-Kanpur NH 25 Chirgaon is a municipal corporation of the Jhansi District that is today aggrandized on the national tourism map for its unique historical, cultural and literary endowments. Described as a ‘Triveni of Poets’ by eminent Hindi authors, the Chirgaon city happens to be the esteemed homeland of three most glittering stars in the literary firmament of Hindi namely Sri Maithili Sharan Gupt, Sri Siyaram Sharan Gupt and Munshi Ajmeri. Chirgaon is one of the most antediluvian human habitats of Uttar Pradesh which studded with three grandiose Darwajas (gates) and a historic fort (quila) erected right at the center of the city still retains its old world charm and conspicuously delineates the internal pattern of the old Indian cities. Chirgaon actively participated in the struggle of Independence of India and was frequently visited by Mahatma Gandhi and other freedom fighters. Some of the must visit destinations of Chirgaon include the Samaadhi (catacomb) of the National Poet Maithili Sharan Gupt, the Durga Mata Mandir, the Shiva-Sai Temple, the Gayatri Temple, the Dakshin Mukhi Hanuman Mandir, the Diamond Temple, the Parichha Dam, etc.
The Parichha Dam situated approximately 23 kilometers from Jhansi on the Jhansi - Kanpur NH 25 is a water embankment built across the Betwa River in close proximity to the Parichha Town of the state of Uttar Pradesh. The coal based Parichha Thermal Power Station bearing the capacity of 640 MW is also sited close by. The reservoir created by the Parichha Dam pulls out for about 34 kilometers all the way up to the Notghat Bridge. Hordes of tourists pay a visit to the Parichha Dam all through the year particularly to enjoy boating and other water sports here.
Positioned at the mere distance of 23 kilometers from Jhansi and cradled on the banks of the river Betwa, Barua Sagar is a municipal board of the Jhansi District that is reckoned all over the map for its magnificent Barua Sagar Tal and other worth visiting historic monuments. The city derives its name from the Barua Sagar Tal itself which is an artificial lake constructed under the patronage of Raja Udit Singh of Orchha approximately 260 years ago. Aside from this awe-inspiring manmade water reservoir, other attractions of Barua Sagar include the Bundelkhand Fort and Goddess Jarai-ka-Math Temple. The Bundelkhand Fort erected atop a hillock offers the panoramic spectacles of the Barua Sagar town, the Barua Sagar Lake and the distant Betwa Dam. In former times, the soldiers of Bundelkhand used to keep watch from the top of this garrison which helped them anticipate the enemy attacks. Moreover, this stronghold also protected the city against the enemy armies. The Jarai-ka-Math Temple dedicated to Goddess Durga is dated back to 860 AD which manifests a classic archetype of Pratihara Architecture. The main Durga Shrine and the surrounding four smaller shrines are embellished with impressive erotic sculptures similar to Khajuraho. This temple has been notified as a protected monument by the ASI in 1928 AD. Barua Sagar is located on the Jhansi – Varanasi route and all the buses headed towards Khajuraho invariably pass through it.
Gwalior , the ‘living legend of heroism’ is located about 102 kilometers away from Jhansi in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh. This geriatric city burgeoning around the Gwalior Fort aloft an aerial hilltop has been a witness to numerous historical battles and power struggles. It was here that the great warrior queen of Jhansi; Rani Lakshmi Bai fought bravely for the Mother Land till the last drop of blood and laid her life during the final assault on the Gwalior Fort during the 1857 Rebellion. An additional feather in the proud hat of Gwalior is that it was also the birthplace of Tansen; the celebrated proponent of the ‘Hindustani Classical Music’ who flourished during the Mughal Era. Gwalior, the chivalrous cradle of a number of conspicuous royal dynasties & preeminent personas and also the platform of many crucial episodes from the pages of history is rightly bequeathed with the laurel ‘the tourism capital of Madhya Pradesh’. Distinguished for its magnificent palaces, domineering forts, sacrosanct temples and other staggering architectural monuments of yesteryears Gwalior; the ‘pre-medieval pivot of Jainism’ and the ‘fort city of India’ preserves its glorious and grandiloquent character even today. The Gwalior Fort was justly described by Babar in his Babarnama as “The pearl in the necklace of the forts of Hind”. The imposing rock temples, sandstone mosques and spectacular sculptures & figurines yield a unique aura to this ostentatious classical conurbation.
Khajuraho , a small town in Chhatarpur District of Madhya Pradesh placed against the lofty backdrop of Vindhya Mountain Ranges, has inscribed its name in golden letters on the world tourism map as a home to grandeur of art and master craftsmanship of human hand. Renowned far and wide for its medieval Hindu and Jain temples decorated with exceptional erotic sculptures, Khajuraho is India’s second most visited destination after the Taj Mahal. Acknowledged as one of the seven wonders of India, Khajuraho group of temples are declared as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in the year 1986. Rightly called the symbol of medieval heritage, the temples of Khajuraho comprise one of the rarest and best examples of architectural majesty and sublimity of expression. The ballads written on stones illustrate the ultimate truth of life and outline the open appreciation of one of the taboo topics in Indian culture. Some of the noteworthy temples of Khajuraho group of Monuments are: Devi Jagdamba Temple, Chausath Yogini Temple, Ghantai Temple, Javari Temple, Kandariya Mahadev Temple, Viswanath Temple, Lakshmana Temple, Lakshmi Temple, Chitragupta Temple, Adinath Temple, and so on. Khajuraho is located approximately 175 kilometers from Jhansi.