|Gwalior Fort||Upon a solitary sandstone cliff named ‘Gopachal’ overlooking the entire Gwalior City|
|Teli ka Mandir||Positioned within the premises of the majestic Gwalior Fort|
|Sas Bahu Temple||Stationed within the periphery of the Gwalior Fort in its eastern segment|
|Vivsvaan Mandir||Located in the Morar Residency of the city just 6.5 kilometers away from the city center|
|Man Mandir Palace||Set up inside the layout of the grandiose Gwalior Fort close to the northeast end of the citadel|
|Gujari Mahal||Situated within the establishments of the Gwalior Fort|
|Jai Vilas Mahal||Located right in the heart of Gwalior City|
|Jauhar Kund||Situated in the close proximity with the Man Mandir Palace inside the Gwalior Fort|
|Hathi Pool||Placed towards the south-east corner of the Man Mandir Palace|
|Tomb of Rani Lakshmibai||Located at the Phool Bagh Area|
|Tansen's Tomb||Situated right next to the Tomb of Gaus Mohammad in the Tansen Nagar area of the Gwalior City|
|Gaus Mohammad Tomb||Right next to the Tomb of Tansen in the Tansen Nagar Area of Gwalior just 3 kilometers away from the Gwalior Fort|
|Chhatris of Scindias||Positioned close to the Chhatri Maidan near the Achaleshwar Mahadev Temple in the Janak Ganj Area of Gwalior|
|Dargah Khwaja Kanoon Sahib||Located in the Gandhinagar Area of the Gwalior City|
|Gurudwara Data Bandi Chhod||Sited within the periphery of the Gwalior Fort|
|Maharaj Bada||Located close to the Jayaji Chowk in Lashkar|
|Suraj Kund||Positioned inside the imperial Gwalior Fort|
|Padavali and Bateshwar||Located at the distance of about 40 kilometers from Gwalior|
|Gopachal Parvat||Positioned on the precipitous terrain along the gradients of the majestic Gwalior Fort approximately 2 kilometers away from the Gwalior Railway Station|
|Shyam Vatika||Located at ‘Saraswati Estate, Cimmco Tiraha, Gwalior’|
|Kala Vithika / Sarod Ghar||Located in Shekh Ki Bagiya, Gwalior|
|Municipality Museum||Situated within the Moti Mahal Campus|
|Roop Singh Stadium||Located just 1 kilometer away from the Gwalior Junction close to the Gandhi Road|
|Phool Bagh||Sited in the Lashkar area of the city just 2 kilometers away from the Gwalior Junction|
|Gwalior Zoo||Located within the premises of the Phool Bagh|
|Dev Kho||Found at the approximate distance of about 16 kilometers from Gwalior on the Lashkar- Tigra Road|
|Tighra Dam||Located about 23 kilometers away from Gwalior|
Described by Babar as “The pearl in the necklace of the forts of Hind” and bequeathed with the laurel; ‘the Gibraltar of India’, the Gwalior Fort dating back to 8th century AD has been a witness to the eventful history of Gwalior right from its inception through the dominance of various royal dynasties including Kachhwaha Pal Kings, Pratihar Rulers, Delhi Sultanate, Tomar Kings, Mughals, Jats, Marathas, the War of Independence, Company Rule and finally to its present day status as a District Headquarters in the Free India. Believed to be established by a Kachhwaha Pal King Suraj Sen in the honor of a hermit named ‘Gwalipa’, the Gwalior Fort erected upon a solitary sandstone cliff named ‘Gopachal’ overlooking the entire Gwalior City is acknowledged amongst the largest citadels of the country.
Spread over an extensive area of 3 square kilometers, this conical shaped garrison featuring the atypical medieval architecture accommodates a number of important historical monuments viz. Man Mandir Palace, Gujari Mahal, Jahangir Mahal, Karan Palace, Shahjahan Mahal, Teli ka Mandir, Sas-Bahu Temple, Chhatri of Maharajas Bhim Singh and Bhimtal, 40 feet tall statue of Parswanath, other rock cut temples and huge water tanks etc. within its premises. The commanding Gwalior Fort fortified by a strong rampart connected by six bastions can be accessed through two imperial entry gates namely ‘Hathi Pol Gate’ and ‘Badalgarh Gate’.
The Gwalior Fort is the place where the earliest inscription of the sign ‘zero’ (Shunya) has been discovered. Indian Post Service has issued a postage stamp with an image of Gwalior Fort to commemorate the vital significance of this stronghold in the history of India. Visited by thousands of vacationers and travelers all round the year, the Gwalior Fort happens to be the most sought after tourist attraction of this ancient conurbation. The Fort is open to public from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm and an entry fee of rupees 15 is charged here.
Teli ka Mandir
The Teli ka Mandir of Gwalior also referred to as the ‘Telangana Temple’, the ‘Oilman’s Temple’ or the ‘Oil Presser’s Temple’ is an ancient Hindu Mandir positioned within the premises of the majestic Gwalior Fort that is dedicated to the God of destruction; Lord Shiva. Estimated to be dating back to 8th century AD, the Teli ka Mandir is believed to be the oldest existing edifice structured inside the Gwalior Fort Complex. Distinguished for its peculiar architectural design presenting a unique fusion of North Indian, South Indian and Buddhist orders of architectonics, the lofty configuration of this temple measuring about 100 feet in its height closely resembles the Prathihara Vishnu Temple. The roof of the shrine reveals the Dravidian traits while the motifs and sculptures those adorn the framework are the paradigms of the North Indian temple layouts.
Moreover, the barrel vaulted cupola, the chaitya type hall, a masonry and the Torana garlands at the entrance introduce the Buddhist touches and the Nagari character. A conspicuous attribute of this rectangular shaped ‘Teli ka Mandir’ is that it doesn’t comprise pillared pavilions or the Sabha Mandapa. The interiors of the temple are packed with various Indo Aryan and Nagara figurines of Coiled Serpents, Flying Garuda, River Goddesses, Erotic Couples, etc. while the exteriors are enriched with the ‘Gavakshas’ or the horse shoe shaped arches built in North Indian manner of temple architecture. Some of the eye catching motifs of the temple include a honey comb, lotus and diamond designs, and so on. The Teli ka Mandir, originally a Vishnu Temple was later converted to a Shiva Temple and it was renovated on a large scale in 1881 – 83 AD.
Sas Bahu Temple
The Sas Bahu Temple of Gwalior which literally means the temple of a mother-in-law and a daughter-in-law is an archaic Hindu shrine that is stationed within the periphery of the Gwalior Fort in its eastern segment. Constructed in 1092 AD during the ascendancy of the King Mahipala from the Kachhwaha Dynasty, the Sas Bahu Temple of Gwalior is recognized as one of the most marvelous epitomes of architectural ingenuity achieved during the bygone era. As the tale is told, originally there was only one temple which was reckoned as the ‘Sahastrabahu Temple’, i.e. a Mandir dedicated to the Lord with thousand (Sahasta) hands (Bahu) i.e. Lord Vishnu. King Mahipala’s Wife who was a devotee of Lord Vishnu used to perform her daily worship in this temple. Later, when her son got married and the new bride arrived, another temple dedicated to Lord Shiva was built beside the Sahastrabahu Temple as the daughter-in-law was a devotee of Lord Shiva. Thus these two adjacent temples are now collectively known as the Sas Bahu Temple.
Measuring 32 meters in its length and 22 meters in its width, the Sas Bahu Temple can be approached through 3 entrances built in three different directions. Resembling each other in their structural design to a great extent the three storied edifice of the temple designed without arches is supported by flamboyantly carved pillars and a resplendent step well. The roof of the Sas Bahu Temple bedecked with baroquely sculpted lotus patterns looks tremendously fascinating and awe inspiring. Both the temples festooned with the intricately chiseled carvings of Lord Brahma, Vishnu & Mahesh and Goddess Saraswati are indeed the peerless models of artistic adroitness prevailing during the days gone by. Even the walls of the shrines are furbished with aureate stone works, engravings from scriptures and other impressive motifs. The Mughal Emperor Aurangazeb tried to demolish the Sas Bahu Temples in 17th century but as he was incapable of doing so, he just put limestone to conceal the sculptures. Later, the limestone was removed and the temples were restored to their previous grandeur
Vivsvaan Mandir (Sun Temple)
The Vivsvaan Mandir of Gwalior a recent addition to the treasure chest of this historical township is a Hindu shrine dedicated to the Sun God i.e. Lord Surya. Built in the year 1988 under the patronage of G.D. Birla; an eminent industrialist of India from the famous Aditya Birla Trust, the Sun Temple of Gwalior happens to be the second temple of India after the Konark Temple (Orissa) that is dedicated to the Sun God. Fashioned after the Sun Temple of Konark itself, the Surya Temple of Gwalior located in the Morar Residency of the city just 6.5 kilometers away from the city center is now aggrandized among the most outstanding pilgrim destinations of Gwalior. Positioned in the middle of a well landscaped garden, this Sun Temple is particularly cherished for its serene and composed ambience apart from its religious magnitude. The Surya Mandir of Gwalior constructed using white marble and red sand stone creates an absolutely ostentatious façade. The interiors are embellished with scintillating white marble whereas the exteriors dressed up in red sandstone easily blend the temple with other ancient temples of the Gwalior Plateau. The stone carved images those illustrate various figures of Hindu Gods and Goddesses beautifully adorn the exteriors of the Vivsvaan Mandir of Gwalior.
Man Mandir Palace
The Man Mandir Palace also set up inside the layout of the grandiose Gwalior Fort close to the northeast end of the citadel is one of the most prestigious jewels in the haughty tiara of Gwalior. Constructed under the sponsorship of the great sovereign of Gwalior, Maharaja Man Singh Tomar sometimes between 1486 and 1517 AD and later enhanced and refurbished by several subsequent rulers of Gwalior, the Man Mandir Palace reveals the clear influences of both Hindu and medieval Muslim orders of architecture. Measuring about 80 feet in its height, this towering royal mansion is designed in four levels, two of which are built underground. The central part of the palace comprises two open courts enclosed by a number of apartments enriched with carved stone pillars. These apartments were used for different purpose like administrative offices, residential quarters and relaxing rooms. Festooned with six rounded towers and lofty cupolas, the exteriors of the Man Mandir Palace gilded with splendidly contrived tiles create a truly majestic disposition.
The internal chambers of the alcazar are embellished with ornately carved stone walls and colorful paintings of various human, animal and floral figures. Also known as ‘Chit Mandir’ or ‘Painted Palace’, the walls of the Man Mandir Palace also portray some breathtaking decorations and frescos of ducks paddling in the dazzling blue green waters, elephants and peacocks. The allure is further enhanced by the ornamentation of triangular friezes and astounding blue ceramic mosaic and petite trellis work. The Man Mandir Palace has been a witness to several historical and political undertakings such as the imprisonment and murder of Murad; the brother of Aurangzeb who was confined in the circular prison of this palace and brutally killed by his own brother. Kesar Kunda, Jhulagar, Phansi Ghar are a number of other noticeable enclosures of the palace. Another noteworthy place inside the Man Mandir Palace is the ‘Jauhar Pond’ where the royal Rajput Ladies used to commit ‘sati’ in groups after their husbands were killed or defeated in the battles so as to preserve their chastity.
The Gujari Mahal of Gwalior situated within the establishments of the Gwalior Fort itself is a symbol of love that was established in 15th century AD by the Maharaja Man Singh Tomar for his beloved consort Mrignayani who was a Gujar princess. The exteriors of the Gujari Mahal have survived the ravage of time and the plunders of enemy assaults and can be witnessed today in their almost original form, whereas the interiors of the palace were converted to an Archaeological Museum in the year 1922. Categorized into 28 different galleries, the Gujari Mahal Archaeological Museum presently displays approximately 6000 antique exhibits, some of them as old as 1st century AD. Commended for its wide collection of sculptures, inscriptions, terracotta, paintings, pottery, coins, weapons and other artifacts dating back to 1st century AD to 17th century AD, this museum is especially acclaimed for its historical, archaeological, artistic and educative appeal that attracts the visitors from all fields of life. The most worth mentioning exhibits of the museum include the sculptures of Shalabhanjika Yakshi, Ardhanareshwar, Nataraj, Trimurthi, Ram, Sita, Yamraj and so on. Some of the evidences in the Gujari Mahal Archaeological Museum assert that Tansen was formally instructed in the field of Hindustani Classical Music at Gwalior. Not only that, the museum is also celebrated for its great collection of Bagh Cave Paintings and the photographs of various historical and architectural monuments of India. The chief attraction of this repository is a 75 years old photograph of the Mandu and Dhar regions that specially intrigue those interested in history. The Gujari Mahal Museum can be visited from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm every day but Monday.
Jai Vilas Mahal
The Jai Vilas Mahal located right in the heart of Gwalior City is an ostentatious alcazar that was established during the ascendancy of a Scindia ruler ‘Maharaja Jivaji Rao Scindia’ in the year 1809. Used by the Scindia Royal Family as their residential quarters, this swanky edifice set up in the midst of the well landscaped lawns portrays a spectacular combination of Italianate, Tuscan and Corinthian modes of architecture. Designed by a proficient architect Lt. Col. Sir Michael Filose, the Jai Vilas Mahal still retaining all its regal demeanor and past grandeur directly transports the beholder to the august era of the monarchial Scindia Rulers. The magnificent Durbar Hall of the palace is particularly exalted for its two rococo chandeliers weighing about two tonnes while the ceiling of the chateau gilded in heavy draperies and tapestries looks exceedingly extravagant and sumptuous. The antique furniture imported all the way from France and Italy and the fantastic Persian carpets add to the pageantry of the interiors.
Presently, about 35 rooms of the palace have been converted into the famous ‘Scindia Museum’ of Gwalior. Some of the most prominent exhibits of the Scindia Museum include a silver train embellished with cut glass wagons and the precious silver crockery which were used to serve the royal guests on the dining table, a ravishing glass cradle brought from Italy that was used to worship Lord Krishna on the occasion of Krishna Janmashtami Festival, etc. Other worth mentioning exhibits of the museum include the swords those were worn by the great Mughal Emperors Shah Jahan and Aurangzeb, the personal souvenirs of the family members of the Scindia Dynasty such as the jewel gilded slippers used by Chinkoo Rani, four-poster beds, hunting trophies of the Scindia Maharajas, portraits of the Scindia lineage, expensive and fancy gifts received from almost every country on the globe, etc. A visit to the Scindia Museum will offer you incomparable glimpses of the exorbitant culture and lifestyle of the Scindia rulers of Gwalior.
Some portion of the palace is still occupied by the Scindia Family even today. The Jai Vilas Mahal and the Scindia Museum can be visited from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm all days of week with an exception of Monday.
The Jauhar Kund, one of the several water tanks built within the Gwalior Fort premises is the spot of historical importance where an assemblage of Kachhwaha Rajput women had performed a mass Sati when the kingdom was conquered by the Delhi Sultanate. The Kachhwaha Rajput Kings were overpowered by the armies of Qutb-ud-din Aybak in the year 1196 who appointed his slave Iltutmish as the in charge (Quiledar) of the Gwalior Fort. It is chronicled that when the Rajput Women of Gwalior Royalty were reported about the defeat of the King against Qutb-ud-din Aybak, in order to save their chastity and honor those Rajput Women committed Jauhar and immolated themselves at the Jauhar Kund. The Jauhar Kund situated in the close proximity with the Man Mandir Palace inside the Gwalior Fort has today become one of the prime tourist destinations of the Gwalior City. Aside from its unparalleled historical magnitude, the Jauhar Kund is also applauded for its profound pre medieval architectural brilliance.
The Hathi Pool or the Hathi Pol Gate also known as the ‘Hathiya Paur’ or the ‘Elephant Gate’ receives its appellation from the fact that it is so colossal in its stature that even the enormous elephants could easily pass through it. The Hathi Pool comprises the principal entrance of the Gwalior Fort and leads to the Man Mandir Palace of Maharaja Man Singh Tomar. The Hathi Pool Gate being the last of the conglomeration of seven gates of Gwalior Fort can be accessed only after passing through the initial six entryways. In earlier times a life sized effigy of a gigantic elephant used to adorn the Hathi Pool Gate. Placed towards the south-east corner of the Man Mandir Palace the Hathi Pool Gate constructed out of stone is embellished with impressive cylindrical towers and aureate semi spherical cupolas. These globular domes supported by intricately carved pillars are interlinked with ornamental parapets.
Tomb of Rani Lakshmibai
Rani Lakshmibai; the great warrior Queen of Jhansi and the esteemed heroine of the First War of Independence is eulogized as India’s ‘Joan of Arc’ and was reported by the British as the “most dangerous of all Indian leaders”. Lakshmibai was defeated in the ‘Battle of Jhansi’ of April 1858 against the British armies when she escaped and sought shelter in Gwalior. Just two months later in June 1858 the ‘Battle of Gwalior’ was fought against the Sinde’s who were the feudatories of the British. Initially Rani Lakshmibai won and installed Nana Saheb as the Peshwa of the Maratha Empire. Nevertheless, the British kept on assaulting the Gwalior Fort relentlessly. Another battle was ensued in the mid June of 1858 when Lakshmibai led the troops of Gwalior and Jhansi to guard the mountain passageway to the Gwalior Fort and the Gwalior City. On 18th June 1858 while Rani Lakshmibai was fighting against the 8th Hussars in Kotah-ki-Serai close to the Phool Bagh of Gwalior, she was fatally injured and breathed her last fighting for the Mother Land. The gallant Queen was cremated at the spot of her annihilation by the locals where a commemorative mausoleum has been erected presently. The Tomb of Rani Lakshmibai located at the Phool Bagh Area is a must visit destination of Gwalior where we can pay homage to the valiant Queen of Jhansi who sacrificed her life and gifted us the free independent India.
Tansen’s Tomb, situated right next to the Tomb of Gaus Mohammad in the Tansen Nagar area of the Gwalior City is the commemorative plaque built in the fond memory of Tansen; the father of the Hindustani Music. Miyan Tansen, one of the Navaratnas in the court of the great Mughal Emperor Akbar has attained worldwide fame as the proponent of the Dhrupad style of singing and the exponent of the Gwalior Gharana. He was the paramount composer, musician, vocalist and instrumentalist of the Hindustani Classical Music. Even after more than 400 years of his demise, Tansen is venerated by the musicians and singers all over the map for his peerless contribution in the domain of both vocal and instrumental music. Born in a small hamlet close to Gwalior, Tansen passed away in late 16th century (dates vary) when he was buried within the premises of the mausoleum complex dedicated to his Sufi Guru Gaus Muhammad. It is believed that Tansen’s son composed ‘Bilaskhani Todi’ after his father’s death in his grief. The Tansen’s Tomb built in the archetypal order of Mughal Architectonics is sited in the vicinity of Gaus Muhammad Tomb in the middle of a beautifully laid garden. Every year in the month of December the Tansen Music Festival is organized at the Tansen’s Tomb when the talented and illustrious musicians from far and wide alight here and perform in the honor of Tansen; the Apollo incarnated.
Gaus Mohammad Tomb
The Gaus Mohammad Tomb to be found right next to the Tomb of Tansen in the Tansen Nagar Area of Gwalior just 3 kilometers away from the Gwalior Fort is a mausoleum erected in the memory of the Sufi Saint ‘Gaus Mohammad’ who is also believed to have tutored Tansen. This Sufi Saint who flourished in 16th century AD was originally a prince from Afghanistan who came to India and turned a Sufi. It is also documented that Gaus Mohammad helped the Mughal Emperor Babur to conquer the unyielding Gwalior Fort. The Gaus Mohammad Tomb estimated to be constructed during the tenure of Emperor Akbar reveals the characteristic Mughal style of architecture. Supported by the intricately carved hexagonal pillars and bejeweled with ‘Jali’ screens fabricated using the pierced stone technique; the marvelous sepulcher of Saint Gaus Mohammad offering the breath-taking prospects comprises one of the most prominent sightseeing attractions of the city. The crypt is garlanded with several elaborately festooned chhatris gilded with dazzling blue tiles and the interior walls of the tomb featuring flamboyant carvings and latticework grant an absolutely enticing spectacle. This memorial of a great Sufi Saint equally revered by the Hindus and the Muslims has become a leading pilgrim destination of Gwalior that is visited by myriads of devotees every single day.
Chhatris of Scindias
The Princely State of Gwalior was governed by the Scindia Rulers in 18th and 19th century before the city and the Gwalior Fort were subjected by the British east India Co. The Chhatris of Scindias positioned close to the Chhatri Maidan near the Achaleshwar Mahadev Temple in the Janak Ganj Area of Gwalior is the Entombment Complex of the Scindias where the Kings and the family members of Scindia Clan who ruled Gwalior for many decades lay buried. Noted for their enchanting architectural appeal and their conspicuous medieval structure, the Chhatris of Scindias decked out with the splendid motifs of elephants, tigers and horses make one of the foremost tourist destinations of this historical conurbation. The most outstanding chhatris of this Burial Complex are the sepulchers dedicated to Maharaja Jankojirao Scindia, Maharaja Daulatrao Scindia, Maharaja Jivajirao Scindia, Rajmata Vijayaraje Scindia, Maharaja Madhavrao Scindia, etc.
Dargah Khwaja Kanoon Sahib
Dargah Khwaja Kanoon Sahib located in the Gandhinagar Area of the Gwalior City is a Mausoleum built in the cherished memory of a great Sufi Saint ‘Saiyed Saiyeeduddin Kanoon Rehmat Ullah Aleh Chishtiya’, also recognized as ‘Khwaja Kanoon Sahib Nagauri’. Khwaja Kanoon Sahib came to Gwalior from Marwar in 1481 AD, settled here preaching virtue and morality and grew famous amongst his devotees and followers. As suggested by the inscriptions found inside his Dargah, Hazrat Khwaja Kanoon Sahib left this mortal world for his heavenly abode in 940 Hijri. The devotees of Khwaja believe that if you perform a pilgrimage to the Dargah of Khwaja Kanoon Sahib and pay homage at his feet with full faith and devotion for 40 days, all your wishes and desires will be fulfilled by the grace of the blessed Khwaja. It is reported that Khwaja Kanoon Sahib was a Sufi Saint of the highest degree. Even today the devotees of Khwaja Sahib daily offer their ‘Akidat’ prayers at the Dargah irrespective of their religion, cast and creed. The full name of the Khwaja can be seen engraved upon the dome of the Dargah Khwaja Kanoon Sahib.
Gurudwara Data Bandi Chhod
Gurudwara Data Bandi Chhod sited within the periphery of the Gwalior Fort is a Sikh Gurudwara erected in the venerated memory of the 6th Guru of Sikhism ‘Guru Har Gobind Sahib’. As the historical chronicles narrate, Guru Har Gobind Sahib was once imprisoned by the Emperor Jehangir in the Gwalior Fort for more than two years. When he was finally released, the Guru declined to go alone but demanded that his fellow prisoners; the 52 Hindu Kings of India should also be released. The day when Guru Har Gobind along with the 52 Rajput Kings was set free is still celebrated by the Sikh people as the ‘Bandi Chhod Divas’. The Gurudwara Data Bandi Chhod was established in 1970 AD to commemorate this historical event. Entirely contrived out of dazzling white marble and decorated with colorful stained glass art on the outer side, the Gurudwara Data Bandi Chhod is one of the greatly aggrandized Sikh pilgrimage sites of Gwalior that is visited by thousands of devotees and tourists all round the year. The Gurudwara Data Bandi Chhod Complex covering the total area of six acres accommodates the Guru Ka Langar, the Scindia School and the staff accommodation rooms within its premises. The ‘Guru Granth Sahib’ is recited at the Gurudwara every day which creates the peaceful and pious ambience.
The Maharaj Bada of Gwalior located close to the Jayaji Chowk in Lashkar is the biggest and the most hustling bustling market place of Gwalior where seven ancient edifices, each of them depicting a different structural design such as Rajput, Mughal, Italian, Russian, Chinese, and so on can be spotted.
The Suraj Kund of Gwalior positioned inside the imperial Gwalior Fort is a water tank christened after the name of the Kachhwaha Prince ‘Suraj Sen’ who is believed to have established the Gwalior Fort and thus fathered the contemporary Gwalior City. As the legend goes, the 8th century prince Suraj Sen when lost in the woods came across a hermit named Gwalipa residing atop a hill. Suraj Sen, as he was thirsty asked for drinking water when the hermit directed him to the present day ‘Suraj Kund’, the water of which apart from quenching his thirst also cured him of his leprosy. The astounded prince extended his gratitude and also requested the Sage Gwalipa to accept his service in return. The sage asked for a fortified enclosure to be built at the very locale that would protect the hermits from wild animals while performing penances and holy rituals. This is when the Gwalior Fort and the Gwalior Palace were erected by Suraj Sen and christened as ‘Gwalior’ after the name of the Sage Gwalipa. The Suraj Kund, though naturally existing since 8th century AD was embanked in 15th century approx. It is believed that the waters of the Suraj Kund still hold medicinal powers and can cure many diseases. Other than its historical and medical importance, the pulchritudinous scenery around the Suraj Kund adds to the magnetism of this water tank.
Padavali and Bateshwar
Padavali, located at the distance of about 40 kilometers from Gwalior is a Temple Complex celebrated in all quarters for its marvelous archaic shrines erected inside the ancient Padavali Castle. Distinguished for their classic primeval architecture and their exquisite stonework, the Padavali Temples enshrine the ten incarnations of Lord Vishnu and depict various motifs of Ram Leela, Krishna Leela, different episodes from the Mahabharata, Samudra Manthan, the wedding ceremony of Lord Ganesha, and many others. The most remarkable amongst them is the icon of Lord Shiva dancing in the ‘Smashanbhumi’ (Hindu burning ground where he resides). Even the roofs of the Padavali Temples are adorned with distinct figurines of mythological Gods and Goddesses including Lord Ram, Lord Vishnu, Lord Krishna, Lord Ganesha and many others.
Bateshwar, placed just two kilometers away from Padavali in the Morena District is a home to over 200 sandstone temples those are assumed to be dating back to 8th to 10th century AD. Spread over an extensive area of 25 acres, most of these temples are dedicated to the God of destruction; Lord Shiva. Predominantly in ruins today, the Bateshwar Temple Complex is now undergoing a thorough restoration under the direction of the Archaeological Survey of India. The locals believe that many of the idols and sculptures enshrined in these temples are self originated. The Bateshwar Valley surrounding the Bateshwar Temple Cluster is endowed with luxuriant greenery which adds to the allure of the vicinity and renders the surroundings exceptionally entrancing and spell binding. Both Padavali and Bateshwar receive thousands of tourists every year.
The Gopachal Parvat, also commonly known as the ‘Ek Patthar Ki Bavadi’ is positioned on the precipitous terrain along the gradients of the majestic Gwalior Fort approximately 2 kilometers away from the Gwalior Railway Station. The Gopachal Parvat is exclusively reckoned for its vast anthology of the effigies of the Jain Tirthankaras. A ponderous statue of Lord Parshvanath portrayed seated on a large lotus flower and carved out of one single rock is the most striking attraction of the Gopachal Parvat. This sculpture of Lord Parshvanath measuring nearly 47 feet in its height and about 30 feet in its breadth is deemed the largest statue in the whole world. Other notable draws of the Gopachal Parvat include the sequence of 26 Jain statues in a single row those were built by the Tomar Ruler of Gwalior between 1398 and 1536 AD. These statuettes unrivaled in their architecture indeed prove to be the precious treasure of ancient Indian culture and rich historical heritage.
The Shyam Vatika of Gwalior located at ‘Saraswati Estate, Cimmco Tiraha, Gwalior’ is a privately owned banquet hall and auditorium where world’s largest indoor mural is preserved. This mural measuring about 904 square meters was created by six artists who worked relentlessly over the period of one week between 27th February 2005 and 5th March 2005. This painting work was coordinated by Aasutosh Panigrahi; a professional mural artist and the owners of Shyam Vatika; Ankur Maheshwary and R P Maheshwary. It is reported that this mural was intentionally painted to break the previously held record of an Australian Mural Painting measuring about 713 square meters. The painting features all the interior walls as well as the ceiling of the Shyam Vatika. This mural was appraised as World’s Largest Indoor Mural by the Guinness Book of World Records in August 2005.
Kala Vithika / Sarod Ghar
‘Kala Vithika’ is one of the most sought after museums of Gwalior where innumerable paintings and portraits exhibiting the affluent culture and heritage of Gwalior, the eventful history of this city and the ancient musical instruments played by the great Indian masters of music in past are preserved and displayed. The ancestral abode of the legendary maestro of music ‘Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan’ was lately converted into a ‘Sarod Ghar’ under the guidance and direction of Ustad Amjad Ali Khan. Administered by the ‘Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan Memorial Trust’, the Kala Vithika Museum designed according to the traditional Gwalior architecture can be visited from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Saturday. This must visit treasure house of Gwalior remains closed on Sundays and all the public holidays.
The Municipality Museum of Gwalior established in 1922 AD is situated within the Moti Mahal Campus. This menagerie is much-admired for its unique collection of miscellaneous objects including various samples related to natural history, archaeology and anthropology such as fossils, rocks, minerals, etc. fancy objects made form ivory, iron objects, bronze images, manuscripts, paintings, wood art, costumes, textiles, musical instruments, ancient coins, sculptures, armory, various specimens from tribal and folk lifestyle, and so on. The Gwalior Municipal Museum is open to public all days of week but Monday between 10:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Roop Singh Stadium
The Roop Singh Stadium of Gwalior located just 1 kilometer away from the Gwalior Junction close to the Gandhi Road is a cricket ground that has hosted 10 One Day International Cricket Matches till today. Originally a hockey stadium, this cricket ground is christened after the great Indian hockey player ‘Roop Singh’. Owned by the Madhya Pradesh Cricket Association and operated by the ‘Gwalior Division Cricket Association’, this stadium is functional since 1986. The first ODI was played here on 22nd January 1988 between India and West Indies. The Roop Singh Stadium possesses the capacity to accommodate 45,000 people at a time.
The Phool Bagh of Gwalior sited in the Lashkar area of the city just 2 kilometers away from the Gwalior Junction is a garden complex that consists of a residential palace, a museum, a temple, a mosque, a Gurudwara, the Gwalior Zoo and the Theosophical Lodge & prayer place. Constructed under the patronage of late Madhavrao Scindia, Phool Bagh was inaugurated in the year 1922 by the hands of the Prince of Wales.
The Gwalior Zoo located within the premises of the Phool Bagh is a Zoological Park of Gwalior where some of the rare species of Indian wildlife along with other common fauna and avifauna are sheltered in their natural habitat. Some of the most notable attractions of Gwalior Zoo are; a white tiger named Jamuna, golden pheasants, hyena, sambhar, bison, serpents, etc. The Zoo is opened to public from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
Dev Kho, to be found at the approximate distance of about 16 kilometers from Gwalior on the Lashkar- Tigra Road is a forested area wearing a thick canopy of luxuriant green woods. On account of its immense natural pulchritude, Dev Kho has become a natural habitat of distinct species of birds and wild animals. Variety of gorgeous birds and animals can be spotted here in abundance. An additional allure of Dev Kho that beckons tourists to this land is a popular Shiva Temple situated atop a nearby hillock. Boasting of its plethora of natural beauty and its population of bountiful wildlife, Dev Kho is truly a heaven for nature lovers, hikers, artists, pilgrims and general vacationers.
The Tighra Dam also spelt as ‘Tigra Dam’ or ‘Tighara Dam’ is a freshwater reservoir constructed across the Sank River. Located about 23 kilometers away from Gwalior this dam functions as the main source of drinking water for the Gwalior City. Measuring 24 meters in its height and 1341 meters in its length, this water reservoir has the capacity of holding 4.8 million cubic meters while the spillway structure of the dam can let pass about 1274 cubic meters water per second. Reposed close to the outskirts of the Gwalior City, the Tighra Dam is growing as a favorite tourist destination and a popular weekend getaway from Gwalior and surrounding region. Thousands of tourists visit the Tighara Dam between June and October every year. Due to its ever accelerating fame the Tourism Department has recently started a boating club here which provides various exciting water sports such as speed boating, Jalpari Boating, Paddle Boating, Water Scooter, etc. Charges vary from 50 INR to 350 INR depending upon the ride you opt for.