|Diu Fort||Located to the east of Diu Town at the mouth of the Gulf of Cambay|
|Ghoghla Beach||Located near the Nagoa hamlet of the village of Bucharwada|
|Nagoa Beach||Positioned at an old fishing village of Nagoa near Bucharwada|
|Chakrateerth Beach||Close to the Jallandhar Beach is the central Beach of the Diu Island|
|Jallandhar Beach||Placed just 1 kilometer from the Diu town|
|Gomtimata Beach||Situated nearly 25 kilometers from the main Diu town|
|Jallandhar Shrine||Perched atop a hillock close to the Jallandhar Beach|
|Gangeshwar Temple||Located about 3 km from the Diu town in a village named Fudam|
|St. Thomas Church||Located within the premises of the Diu Fort|
|Church of St. Francis of Assisi||Situated inside the periphery of the Diu Fort|
|St. Paul's Church||To the east of Diu Town at the mouth of the Gulf of Cambay Kolhapur|
|INS Khukri||Located on a small hillock facing the Arabian Sea|
|Fortim Do Mar||Located about one nautical mile from the Diu jetty|
|Irwin Agricultural Museum||Stationed right in the center of Kolhapur|
|Hokka Trees||In Diu Island|
|Zampa Gateway||Located at the southern border of the state|
|Sea Shell museum||Located near the Nagoa Beach of Diu to the east of Diu Airport|
Diu Fort erected by the Portuguese during their rule of the Diu Island is located to the east of Diu Town at the mouth of the Gulf of Cambay in Daman and Diu union territory of India. Constructed in the year 1535 subsequent to the ‘Treaty of Bassein’ of 1534, Diu Fort furnished as a defense stronghold against the invading armies of the Mughal Emperor Humayun. Over the years till 1546 AD, this garrison was reinforced and rendered formidable by the Portuguese. Also known as ‘Praça de Diu’ in Portuguese, this fortification is enclosed by the Gujarat border to its east, the Arabian Sea to the west and the Kolak and Kalai rivers to its northern and southern periphery. The Diu Fort provides sea access to Cambay, Bharuch and Surat. The imposing architecture of the Diu Fort set up against the backdrop of the fathomless Arabian Sea offers a commanding prospect to its beholders. The exterior wall of the fort is built along the littoral while the inner wall has bastions mounted by the guns and canons. The double moat built between the outer and the inner walls shields the fort. The Diu Fort has three entrances and the main entrance bears an inscription engraved in Portuguese. The walls, bastions, gateways, ramps and arches of the fort today in ruins yield an awe inspiring judgment of the high degree military defenses installed in the fort in the years of yore. Inside the Diu Fort one can witness the well landscaped gardens and pathways which are also skirted by the cannons. A large light house is instituted at one end of the citadel. The premises of the Diu Fort are ornamented with the presence of three noteworthy churches built by the Portuguese: St. Paul’s Church, St. Thomas Church and the Church of St. Francis of Assisi. Other remarkable monuments of the fort include old bungalows and mansions built in gothic style, carved wooden or stone havelis, Gangeshwar Mahadev Temple, and so on. Recently listed amongst the new seven wonders of Portugal built during their colonial rule across the world, Diu Fort has suddenly come into the limelight on the world tourist map.
One of the six resplendent beaches of Diu Island and classified amongst the three most salient beaches of this enclave, Ghoghla Beach, particularly celebrated for its golden sun kissed sand is the largest beach of this region. Covering an extensive area of the western coastline of Indian peninsula, the Ghoghla Beach proposes a delightful ambience, gentle milieu and the most enchanting vistas of the surroundings. The Ghoghla Beach is an ideal retreat for the water sports lovers as it offers the excellent opportunity to enjoy the exciting and pleasing aqua activities such as sunbathing, swimming, surfing, parasailing, and other water sports. A tourist complex set up close to the Ghoghla Beach caters services to the visitors and provides all the basic amenities here.
Nagoa Beach, a comparatively secluded beach of Diu is positioned at an old fishing village of Nagoa near Bucharwada. This unique horseshoe shaped beach stretching over the far reaching compass of 2 kilometers can be reached by a ferry availed from the main Diu town. This ferry takes just 20 minutes to ply between Diu and Nagoa Beach. Yet another alternative to reach Nagoa Beach from Diu is to board a bus bound to Nagoa from the old bus stand of Diu. The distance between Nagoa and Diu via road is just 7 kilometers. Nagoa Beach is a favorite destination for the peace seekers as well as for the various water sport activities, swimming and camel and pony riding. Relaxing under the palm groves and enjoying the soothing cold sea breezes and sunny weather is indeed a rejuvenating experience. The additional attraction of Nagoa Beach is its Hoka Trees swaying to the tunes of the winds and whispering sweet symphonies all day long.
Chakrateerth Beach, located close to the Jallandhar Beach is the central Beach of the Diu Island. The beach derives its name from the myth associated with it which states that after killing the demon king Jalandhar, Lord Vishnu had left his ‘Sudarshan Chakra’ here. Even though the beach doesn’t offer any water sports, calmly sitting back and gently sipping the beauty of the turquoise waters of the sea relentlessly hitting against the silvery shore is no doubt a banquet to the sight. Chakrateerth Beach is especially exalted for the arresting panoramas of the sunset apprehended from here. The well maintained garden at the Chakrateerth Beach further complements to its infinite natural elegance. The open air auditorium situated at the beach adjacent the Jallandhar Shrine is also a noticeable attraction. It also provides the facility of changing rooms. An ancient Shiva Temple is also parked at the Chakrateerth Beach. INS Khukri, stationed at the Chakrateerth Beach is a memorial of Indian battleship destroyed by Pakistan in the war of 1971. INS Khukri was the only Indian ship destroyed by Pakistan in that battle.
Jallandhar Beach, christened after the name of the demon king Jalandhar is a clarion beach of Diu region placed just 1 kilometer from the Diu town. Particularly acknowledged for the shrine dedicated to Jalandhar built atop a hill close by, this beach is also the revered berth of a temple devoted to Goddess Chandrika. Other than enjoying the water sports available in abundance here, tourists throng the Jallandhar Beach to pursue leisure activities such as sun bathing and strolling along the shoreline.
Gomtimata Beach, situated nearly 25 kilometers from the main Diu town is one more precious jewel in the affluent casket of Diu Island. Featuring a far-flung sweep of silvery white sand, this beach is disposed on the western extreme of Diu. This remote and extensive beach not suitable for swimming as it doesn’t have enough deep waters is a perfect escape for relaxing, loitering and sun bathing. The foamy soft white sand of Gomtimata Beach beckons myriads of tourists to come and repose in the appeasing cradle of Mother Nature.
Sunset Point is a dandy little beach of Diu renowned for the enrapturing views of the setting sun it offers. The softening glory of blazing sun dissolving against the backdrop of the multihued horizon appears tremendously spectacular at the Sunset Point. Apart from watching the sun set, this palm fringed beach is also famous for swimming.
Jallandhar Shrine, perched atop a hillock close to the Jallandhar Beach of Diu is a shrine that consecrates the memory of the mythological Demon King Jallandhar who was killed by Lord Vishnu. This small shrine is crowned with a dome which bears a face of Demon Jallandhar carved out of stone. Jallandhar Shrine is located just 1 kilometer from Diu town. A temple dedicated to Goddess Chandrika is nested in the proximity with the Jallandhar Shrine of Diu.
The term ‘Gangeshwar’ means the ‘Lord of Ganga’ i.e. Lord Shiva. The Gangeshwar Temple of Diu located about 3 km from the Diu town in a village named Fudam is a cave temple assumed to be dating back to the Mahabharata Era. It is believed that the five Pandava brothers visited Diu during their exile and they enshrined these five Shiva Lingams at the Gangeshwar Temple. The five Shiva Lingams placed on the rocky plateau on the seaboard of the Arabian Sea are constantly immersed by the tidal waves. Gangeshwar Temple is a must visit religious destination, particularly for the Hindus on the trip to Diu.
St. Thomas Church
St. Thomas Church established in the year 1598 during the Portuguese reign over Diu is an ancient tabernacle located within the premises of the Diu Fort. Structured in the Gothic style of architecture, St. Thomas Church is situated on an elevated ground in the market area of the Fort. The baroque façade of the church still bears the faded paintings dated back to the Portuguese Era. This whitewashed edifice of St. Thomas’ Church has undergone several renovations and presently it doesn’t function as a prayer house. Only one mass a year is held at this church on 1st November. The church is now converted to a museum where other than the local artifacts, stone sculptures of Mother Mary and Jesus Christ, 400 years old wood carvings made from petrified wood, shadow clocks, antique statues, idols, stone inscriptions of the earlier rulers, etc are exhibited. A section of the church has been converted to an archaeological treasure house where 400 year old wooden and marble statues of St. Thomas and St. Benedict draw our attention. St. Thomas Church is illuminated in the evening and the series of fountains leading to the main entrance enchant its beholders to no extent.
Church of St. Francis of Assisi
Another ancient Christian place of worship situated inside the periphery of the Diu Fort is the Church of St. Francis of Assisi. Built in the year 1593 during the Portuguese rule, this church was the friary of the Franciscans. Located approximately 8 kilometers from the Delwada Railway Station, this church is still functional and prayer services are regularly offered here. Even though, the cloister of the church is now used as a hospital.
St. Paul's Church
St. Paul’s Church, christened after one of the apostles of Jesus Christ; St. Paul is also situated inside the Diu Fort at the mouth of the Gulf of Cambay. Constructed over a period of ten years from 1601 AD to 1610 AD and fashioned after the Bom Jesus Basilica of Goa, this church is dedicated to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception. Amongst the three churches constructed by the Portuguese in Diu, St. Paul’s Church is the most reckoned, well survived and fully functioning church of Diu. Celebrated as the foremost epitome of the baroque architecture in India, the interiors of this church are festooned with intricately carved wood work. Both the interiors and the front facade of the church are acclaimed as the most detailed masterpieces of craftsmanship amongst all the Portuguese churches ever erected in India. The altar of this church bearing the image of the Mother Mary is carved out of one single piece of Burmese teak. Above the altar there is a blue-and–white barrel - vaulted nave ornamented with peerless old paintings and statuettes. It is concluded that this church is an innovative specimen of Jesuit architecture. St. Paul’s Church was one of the cardinal churches in India that introduced the use of music in prayer.
Indian Naval Ship ‘Khukri’ was a warship of Indian Navy used during the Indo Pak war of 1971. On 9th December 1971 this frigate fell prey to the barrage of 3 torpedoes fired by a Pakistani Submarine ‘PNS Hangor’ and sank 40 nautical miles off the coast of Diu along with the crew of l8 Officers and 176 sailors. The then Commanding Officer of the ‘INS Khukri’ Captain Mahendra Nath Mulla, who was awarded the Mahavir Chakra posthumously, preferred to go down with his crew even though he was given the option of saving himself. The gallant act of Captain Mulla and his brave crew is a blazing example of unyielding guts and unconquerable spirit of the Indian Navy. This monument set up in the revered memory of the valorous soldiers of Indian Navy was inaugurated on 15th December 1999. INS Khukri was the only ship destroyed by the Pakistan. Just 48 hours Indian Navy had taken over the port of Karachi. An amphitheatre is also positioned just next to the INS Khukri memorial.
Fortim Do Mar
‘Fortim Do Mar’ also known as the ‘Fortress of Panikotha’ is an imperial fortification built out of stones right at the mouth of the creek in the sea. Located about one nautical mile from the Diu jetty, this fortress houses a light house and a small chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Sea. Located in the middle of the Arabian Sea, Fortim Do Mar offers a commanding vista from every angle. It is believed that this ship shaped citadel was once linked with land by an under water tunnel. To reach Fortim Do Mar from Diu you can use the boats easily available here. This fortification can be seen in the popular Bollywood film Qayamat.
The Naida Caves, positioned outside the main wall of the Diu Fort comprise of a big network of tunnels with square shaped steps. It is believed by the Locals that the caves were lacerated by the Portuguese for obtaining the building materials for the Diu Fort and other edifices. The Naida Caves are located at a distance of 8 kilometers from the Delwada Railway Station and are well-connected by road.
Diu Island is veiled with abundant Hokka Trees (Hyphaene Indica) which are found nowhere else in India. Hokka is the only Indian horticultural specie of African genre brought here by the Portuguese. The fruits of Hokka Trees are edible and said to have medicinal properties.
Zampa Gateway, a preeminent landmark of Diu was constructed during the medieval ages. This gateway features the elaborate carvings of angels, a priest and lions. A chapel is also situated adjacent to this gateway which was set up during 1702 AD. Zampa Gateway is also acclaimed for its stupefying artificial waterfalls.
Sea Shell museum
Sea Shell Museum of Diu is the first museum of Asia that houses the maximum number of sea shells. It displays the personal collection of Captain Fulbari who was a sailor and spent most of the time of his life collecting sea shells. This also happens to be the first museum in the World where sea shells of various sizes are displayed in the magnifying glasses. The Sea Shell Museum of Diu boasts of its extensive collection of 2500 to 3000 sea shells such as scorpion, spider, abalone and cockle. Moreover, the museum also houses reading materials on the history of the shells. Located near the Nagoa Beach of Diu to the east of Diu Airport, this museum is a must visit place of Diu Island.