|Sabarmati Ashram (Gandhi Ashram)||Situated on the tranquil banks of the river Sabarmati|
|Sidi Sayed Mosque||Situated close to the famous Lal Darwaja|
|Jhulta Minara (Shaking Minarets)||Situated in Sidi Bashir Mosque|
|Juma Masjid||Situated near Mahatma Gandhi Road in the old city of Ahmedabad|
|Ahmed Shah Mosque||Located near the Bhadra Fort|
|Sarkhej Roza||Situated 8 km southwest from the city Ahmedabad|
|Bhadra Fort||Situated in the heart of the city near the very famous Teen Darvaja and the Sidi Sayed Mosque|
|Teen Darawaza||Situated near Laal Darwaza|
|Kankaria Lake||Situated in the southeast of Ahmedabad and very close to the bus station Gitamandir|
|Hutheesing Jain Temple||Situated on Shahibaug road near Delhi gate in Ahmedabad|
|Akshardham||Located about 30 km away from Ahmedabad|
|Adalaj ni Vav (StepWell)||Situated about 19 km from Ahmedabad|
|Calico Textile Museum||Situated at Sarabhai Foundation in Ahmedabad|
|Hussain Doshi’s Gufa||Situated at Kasturbhai Lalbhai campus in Environmental Planning and Technology centre|
Sabarmati Ashram (Gandhi Ashram)
Known as ‘Satyagraha Ashram’ during the freedom struggle, Sabarmati Ashram served as the Karmabhumi of Mahatma Gandhi: The Father of the Nation. The famous Dandi March of 1930 began from this very Ashram. Situated on the tranquil banks of the river Sabarmati, this Ashram was shifted from Kocharab to this place near Vadaj on June 17th, 1917. As the myth goes, this is the very place where the sage Dadhichi sacrificed his life for the victory of good over evil. On one side of the Gandhi Ashram is situated a Jail and on the other, a crematorium. Gandhiji symbolically said that a freedom fighter has to choose from these two destinations.
The peaceful premises of the Gandhi Ashram make a traveler sense the heart throbs of India’s freedom struggle. The museum, photo gallery, library and auditorium housed in the Ashram keep the past alive. The manuscripts of the letters and the articles written by Gandhiji, the things he used, including his charkha, his glasses and his mattress and several other valuable memorials are exhibited in the Ashram museum. ‘Hridaykunj’ – the house of Mahatma Gandhi, Vinoba-Mira Kutir, prarthana bhumi, guest house and training center are the sections of this Ashram during Gandhiji’s stay here. The three wise monkeys and many other teachings of Gandhiji still enlighten the human generation.
The Ashram can be visited between 8:30 am and 6:00 pm everyday. Apart from the historical relics, the handlooms, khadi shops, spices and medicines and other handmade articles sold in the shops around add to the attraction of this historical monument.
Sidi Sayed Mosque
Renowned as Sidi Sayed ni Jali, this historical testament is the masterpiece of Indo-Sarcenic framework and architecture. It is used as the representative memento of the city of Ahmedabad throughout the world. Constructed by Sidi Sayed – the slave of Ahmed Shah in 1573, this mosque adds to the glory of historical heritage of Ahmedabad with its unique stone window tracery. The delicate carvings of these semi circle stone windows construct the design of a tree with its intertwining branches and blow life into rock. This filigree screens serve as ornamentation to the city and a must visit tourist destination. Situated very near to the Lal Darwaza bus stop, this mosque is in easily reachable compass.
Jhulta Minara (Shaking Minarets)
A classic example of master craftsmanship, and epitome of architectural superiority, ‘shaking minarets’ are situated in Sidi Bashir Mosque. Built by Sidi Bashir, a slave to Ahmed Shah, in the year 1452, this mosque is parked near Sarangpur Darawaza in Ahmedabad. These twin Minarets are constructed in such a mysterious way that if we shake one of the three stories of a minaret, the other two stories and another twin minaret also starts shaking. And adding to the mystery, the connecting passage of the two minarets remains stable at the same time. No one till date has been able to unravel the mystery behind this marvel of architecture. During the British rule, one of the minarets was partly dismantled in the endeavor of solving the puzzle of this unusual mechanism. Later nobody was able to repair them. At present visitors are not allowed to climb the minarets for security issues. But just having a glance at this wonderful miracle is a banquet in itself.
Situated near Mahatma Gandhi Road in the old city of Ahmedabad, Juma (or Jama) Masjid was constructed during the governance of Sultan Ahmed Shah himself in the year 1423. Built in yellow sandstone, this mosque is an exquisite example of Indo-Sarcenic architecture as it constituted the relics of demolished temples of Hindu and Jain religions. 15 domes of different elevations of this mosque are supported by 260 pillars and the rectangular shaped vast courtyard is about 66 meters by 75 meters which can be accessed through the different entrances. One of the most beautiful mosques of India, the Juma Masjid shelters the graves of three great Muslim rulers of the state being - Ahmed Shah I: the founder of the city, his son- Mohammed Shah and the grandson- Qutub-Ud-Din Ahmed Shah II. Farhatul Maluk, a nobleman of the city repaired these tombs after 100 years of its construction and also contributed to the carvings of the walls. No traveler should fail to visit this fabulous historical monument which has stood the test of time.
Ahmed Shah Mosque
Constructed in 1414 AD, this is one of the oldest mosques of Ahmedabad. It was built for the use of Royal household of the Sultan Ahmed Shah as a small private place of worship. Located near the Bhadra Fort, this mosque is believe to be built after demolishing a Hindu temple and the relics of this temple were used in its creation. The noteworthy attraction of this mosque is its ornate ‘Mihrabs’ designed in black and white marbles.
Situated 8 km southwest from the city Ahmedabad in a peaceful township called Sarkhej, this Roza was the dwelling place of Ahmed Kattu Gang Baksh, the sage who was the spiritual guide of the Sultan Ahmed Shah. Ahmed Shah had invoked his blessings when he established the city of Ahmedabad. At present Sarkhej Roza consists of three major complexes housing the tombs of three important persons: Ahmed Kattu Gang Baksh, Mehmud Shah Begada and his queen Rajabai. Srakhej Roza is widely recognized for its presentation of co-existence of three distinct worlds: Royal, Social and Religious. Palaces and tombs comprise Royal world, Religious world is represented by the mosques, and pavilions and tanks depict the Social world.
Sarkhej Roza is famous for its mesmerizing architectural patterns built in latticework of pierced stones. The noteworthy characteristic of this Roza is that there are no arches at all unlike other tombs and mosques. The architectural style of this Roza is almost completely Hindu and shows little Islamic impact. The walls and tombs in the Roza are engraved with beautiful carvings in marble stone. The sunlight that reflects through these carvings creates artful conceptions.
Built by Ahmed Shah in 1411 and later named after the Goddess Bhadrakali, whose temple is situated in the fort, Bhadra fort, well known as Bhadra no killo, is a noteworthy tourist destination in Ahmedabad. In olden days it consisted of 12 gates and 189 bastions and harbored 6000 battlements and royal palaces and gardens were built inside this fort. Bhadra Fort is situated in the heart of the city near the very famous Teen Darvaja and the Sidi Sayed Mosque. At present Bhadra Fort witnesses the republic day celebration on every 26th of January. Panoramic view of the market place and the city of Ahmedabad can be seen from the top of the Bhadra fort.
Teen Darwaza has been bestowed upon the honor of being one of the earliest constructed Darwazas of the city. Built in 1411 AD by the founder Ahmed Shah, Teen Darwaza is one of the enormous arch entrances of the city which was used by the Royal Square of the Fort Bhadra. Later the Mughal King Jahangir used to sit atop this triple gate along with his Begum Noorjahan to watch the procession that was carried from Teen Darwaza: the grand gateway to the Jama Masjid. Intricate carvings and magnificent designs of the wall and the three arches leave the visitor awestruck. Symbolic depiction of life is portrayed through the five palm trees on the central gate which are entirely blanketed with snakes. Government of Gujarat uses the picture of Teen Darwaja as its official symbol. Teen Darwaza is situated near Laal Darwaza, Bhadra no Killo, Sidi Sayed Mosque, Dhalgarwad – the calico market and Gandhi bridge- the book market of Ahmedabad.
Situated in the southeast of Ahmedabad and very close to the bus station Gitamandir, Kankaria Lake is an all time favorite destination for Ahmedabadis as well as for outsiders. This artificial lake was constructed by the Sultan Qutab-ud-Din Ahmed: the Grand son of the Sultan Ahmed Shah in the year 1451. It is believed that the great Mughal Emperor Jahangir visited the Kankaria Lake quite often. This circular lake can be accessed from 34 sides and is famous for its island garden and Nagina Wadi the summer palace. The musical fountain show and the lights add to the beauty of Kankaria Lake during night. Kankaria Lake is surrounded by parks, Bal Vatika, Boat Club, Natural History Museum and Kankaria Zoo (Kamla Nehru Zoo). Setting sun, Indian chat and Paani puri walas and boating in the lake make a perfect weekend for Ahmedabadis.
Hutheesing Jain Temple
Built by a wealthy Jain merchant named Seth Kesarisimha Hutheesing Shah in 1850, and designed by Premchandji Salat, this temple is dedicated to the 15th Tirthanksr of Jainism: Shri Dharmanath. It is situated on Shahibaug road near Delhi gate in Ahmedabad. Constructed wholly in white marble, the intricate and fanciful carvings of this temple attract the archeologists as well as Indian and foreign tourists. The paved spacious courtyard of the temple contains 52 shrines of the Jain Tirthankaras decorated with ornate carvings and rich marble work. The temple is built in two stories with porches on three sides and a dome on the front which is supported by beautifully designed pillars. Recently a 78 feet tower called Mahavir Stambha is built at the entrance which reflects the Islamic culture and is designed after the famous Chittor tower in Rajasthan. When this temple was built in 19th century, it cost 10 lacks which was a quite big amount during those days.
Built in 1992 and dedicated to Lord Swaminarayan on his birthday, Akshardham comprises of a sprawling setup of 23 acres and constitutes the temple with the largest complex in Gandhinagar about 30 km away from Ahmedabad. The temple here is chiseled out of pink sandstone and is worth the visit for any traveler.
The main shrine of Akshardham houses a 7 foot tall idol of Swaminarayan, made of 1.2 tonnes of gold. This idol is accompanied with two of his disciples on either side- Swami Gunatitanand is on his right and Swami Gopalanand on his left.
Tourists can also enjoy a special light and sound show that is organized almost everyday here. Hundreds of devotees come here everyday just to enlighten themselves with the teachings of the Sanatan Dharma, or the ancient Hindu Religion, that is religiously propagated through the show.
Adalaj ni Vav (StepWell)
Situated about 19 km from Ahmedabad, Adalaj ni Vav is an historic architectural marvel and a must visit place. This seven storied construction of 75.3 meters was built during the rule of Virsinh, a Vaghela Chief, by the order of his wife Rani Rudabai. This step well consists of wide stepped corridors, nippy chambers and spacious Varandahs decorated with artistic sculptures. It was used mostly in summer season for get together and resting. Even the travelers in the olden days rested at such Vavs. Archaeological department of Gujarat Government has taken care of this step well and preserved the antique evidence of glorious history of Gujarat.
Calico Textile Museum
Situated at Sarabhai Foundation in Ahmedabad, Calico Textile Museum was constructed in the year 1949. This museum harbors an elegant and splendid collection of rare and unique textiles from 17th century till date. Fabrics woven, spun, printed as well as painted in various states of India are exhibited in this museum. Clothes embellished with mirror work, tie-dye, embroidery and block prints are also displayed here. A big tent decorated with pure embroidery and the rare fabrics like robes of the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan can be seen in Calico Textile Museum. Elegant carpets and chubby pillows that were used to furnish Muslim palaces in olden days are also perceived here. Kashmiri shawls, Varanasi silk, embroidery from Kullu, Kachchhi cotton and silk, Patola saris of Patan, Zari saris weighing 9 kilos, etc are attractions of this museum. Diagrams displaying the process of weaving, dyeing and embroidery are put up on the walls. Apart from the exhibits related to fabrics, other artifacts like furniture, temples, handicrafts, collection of sandstone, bronze, marble icons, wall hangings portraying the legend of Hindu Lord Krishna and ‘Havelis’ from Siddhpur and Patan are some of the special features of Calico Textile Museum.
Hussain Doshi’s Gufa
Hussain Doshi’s Gufa, also known as ‘Amdavad ni Gufa’ is situated at Kasturbhai Lalbhai campus in Environmental Planning and Technology centre. This cave complex is actually an underground art gallery which has used ferro - cement techniques to make its shell kind of structure which is just 25mm thick. Amateurish workers have constructed this marvelous cave using very simple and primary level hand tools. The works of M.F.Hussain are exhibited in this art gallery. As this ‘Gufa’ has been designed by the renowned architect B. V. Doshi and it displays the works of M.F.Hussain, it has been named after the two of the forbearer Personalities, Hussain and Doshi.